News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Re: Real tennis vrs tennis. ‘Real’ golf vrs golf
« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 07:35:38 AM »
Philadelphia Cricket Club has 21 GRASS tennis courts. The St. Martin Club was the site of early U. S. Women's  Open tennis matches from 1915 - 1919.

Sedge Valley has also put in several [I think four] grass tennis courts.  They hardly get used, so the surface is amazing!

Piping Rock Club used to have a couple of grass courts . . . not sure if they've been revived.  In the 1970s they kept them in good shape, but by the time I saw them they were so thatchy that the ball barely bounced.

Both Westchester CC and Point Judith CC still maintain grass tennis courts for their members.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #26 on: Yesterday at 08:15:32 AM »
Daniel Iland Club in Charleston has a grass court.  It’s not used a lot, but it is just beautiful.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

David_Tepper

« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 09:16:44 AM »
"Piping Rock Club used to have a couple of grass courts"

I played on those grass courts more than 50 years ago (and there were more than a couple then). I also met Pierre Etchebaster there. He was the world champion in real tennis for 26 years in a row (1928 to 1954). He worked at Piping Rock as a tennis professional in the 1960's & 70's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Etchebaster

Jeff Schley

« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 11:39:29 AM »
Essex County Club has at least 10 grass courts. It's quite amazing to see really as it runs what seems like forever as you enter the club on the right.  BTW this is the MA ECC.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back