News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

OT 18, St Andrews
« on: Yesterday at 02:31:14 AM »
 ;D

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/sep/29/18-st-andrews-smells-of-newly-pumped-testosterone-restaurant-review

Because next to us a table of 10 more pilgrims, presumably here to worship at the temple to golf outside, has just been seated. They also have friends; many, many, friends. They keep pouring into the dining room to have drinks and honk at each other like the table is merely the buffet at some cocktail party. The young, friendly waiting staff deal with this roaming mêlée with grace and efficiency, but Sartre wasn’t wrong when he said that hell is other people. Doubtless, they would all think exactly the same of me if we got acquainted. The issue here, of course, is one of pure economics. St Andrews depends on this ready flow of American golfing tourists and I suppose I should take comfort from the fact that they and their obsessions are, for the most part, corralled up here on the 4th floor. But rarely have I punched the lift button down to ground with such a profound eagerness and glee.

Jeff Schley

Re: OT 18, St Andrews
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 04:58:01 AM »
Yet another experience ruined by the pilgrims from across the pond. I guess their dollars aren't worth this break from formal norms.

I know this isn't you Brian, but the author.

Is this so different than any guys golf trip Anywhete else?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ian Andrew

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 08:00:02 AM »
I played St. Andrew's Old on ballot the very last time I was there. We won our spot. We got paired with two guys with tour bags and limited skills. My travel partner and I thought this was just bad luck and we would have a slow round. You know what the problem was ... us. Even a slow round on the Old Course is a gift. Turns out they were really nice guys. Limited skill set. But caddies addressed that easily. This was clearly an experience of a lifetime for them. They had come north with their families and balloted knowing it might be their only chance ever. They were so happy. It was contagious and added to my day. It's easy to denigrate someone as not worthy, that the experience should be limited to "serious people", but that's not the case.

I love going to galleries. I have limited knowledge of art history and I like to talk to my wife about the paintings (or the buildings) we are enjoying. I'm sure to many serious students of art, or gallery patrons, I'm clearly a boorish North American ... 
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

John Mayhugh

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 10:29:10 AM »
I'm not sure why Brian elected to post this.

Does anyone like to sit next to a large table of other diners at any restaurant anywhere? Large groups have a way of acting like they are the only people there, and I'm skeptical that Americans are any markedly worse than any other demographics. Surely this shouldn't be a novel concept for Brian or the author of the review.

Speaking from recent experience, I would rather share a restaurant with 20 loud Americans than follow their group of four balls at Cruden Bay.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 10:43:34 AM »
After reading the full review on their food offerings and an over-worked kitchen, sounds like the loud tourists would be the least of your worries there.  ;)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 01:07:02 PM »
Satre was wrong. Hell would be living with the author of the article.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 01:30:57 PM »
Food critic from Brent reviews hotel's restaurant in St Andrews. What an absolutely bizarre assignment. Why would they not review a restaurant that exists, you know, as a standalone restaurant.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 01:32:57 PM »
The person that wrote this review seems like they are a lot of fun.
#nowhitebelt

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 01:36:56 PM »
The person that wrote this review seems like they are a lot of fun.

Not to mention terribly naïve.

This is like reviewing one of the tourist trap restaurants on Pier 49.  Of course its going to be overpriced, mediocre food to feed and fleece the tourists...

Rob Marshall

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 01:40:05 PM »
I'm not sure why Brian elected to post this.

Does anyone like to sit next to a large table of other diners at any restaurant anywhere? Large groups have a way of acting like they are the only people there, and I'm skeptical that Americans are any markedly worse than any other demographics. Surely this shouldn't be a novel concept for Brian or the author of the review.

Speaking from recent experience, I would rather share a restaurant with 20 loud Americans than follow their group of four balls at Cruden Bay.

Seems I remember other posts where it’s pretty apparent Brian doesn’t like Americans.

If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 01:53:56 PM »
One of Jay Rayner's prior restaurant reviews did make the list of the "7 meanest restaurant reviews ever written from professional food critics."

https://twistedfood.co.uk/articles/the-meanest-things-critics-have-ever-said-about-posh-restaurants

He does "have form."

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:56:07 PM by David_Tepper »

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 05:08:59 PM »
Seems I remember other posts where it’s pretty apparent Brian doesn’t like Americans.

Loving Jayden Daniels  :P

Bill Gayne

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 05:15:54 PM »
I'm looking forward to reading his review of the proposed Tiger Woods Justin Timberlake sports bar planned for St Andrews.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #13 on: Today at 04:45:05 AM »
Rayner is a tremendously entertaining restaurant critic and frequently very generous in his praise.  But his job is to entertain, not to write dry dull prose.  The inability of several on here to get that that's the job of a newspaper restaurant critic is puzzling.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #14 on: Today at 05:01:04 AM »
Yeah, I really like Jay Rayner too. It's hardly surprising that a restaurant critic for a left-leaning newspaper should have a few snide things to say about a restaurant full of rich American golfers. Nothing to see here.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Niall C

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:22:41 AM »

I didn't bother to read the article but the bit below in the OP which I assume was taken from the article is just bolloks. I know he's writing to entertain and all that but it's just nonsense.

Niall

"The issue here, of course, is one of pure economics. St Andrews depends on this ready flow of American golfing tourists "

Mark Pearce

« Reply #16 on: Today at 07:44:35 AM »

I didn't bother to read the article but the bit below in the OP which I assume was taken from the article is just bolloks. I know he's writing to entertain and all that but it's just nonsense.

Niall

"The issue here, of course, is one of pure economics. St Andrews depends on this ready flow of American golfing tourists "
Is it?  Does St Andrews' economy not depend on golf tourism?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tim Martin

« Reply #17 on: Today at 08:35:22 AM »
You can’t trust anyone that spells Raynor with an E. ;)
« Last Edit: Today at 08:43:53 AM by Tim Martin »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #18 on: Today at 08:36:29 AM »
Similarly OT, I was in St. Andrews this summer, and there is a great little restaurant on Golf Place, called Haar.  It is not at all built for foursomes of American golfers, but it's one of the better tasting menus I've ever had, featuring a bunch of local ingredients from Scotland with which I was unfamiliar.  If your wife deigns to go with you to St. Andrews, take her to Haar.

Niall C

« Reply #19 on: Today at 08:44:22 AM »
Mark

Firstly, he refers to American golfing tourists. If you took them out of the equation, would the local economy crumble ? Take a bit of  a hit maybe, particularly in certain sectors ie. high end accommodation, but there's more than US golfers that go to St Andrews. Even if the rest of golfing visitors disappeared you'd still have the locals. And let's not forget the University and what that brings to the local economy. 

St Andrews is so much more than a resort destination for Americans and to suggest that it depends on them just doesn't bear any kind of scrutiny IMO.

Anyway, I take it the review wasn't very good ?

Niall

Tim Martin

« Reply #20 on: Today at 09:08:18 AM »
Mark

Firstly, he refers to American golfing tourists. If you took them out of the equation, would the local economy crumble ? Take a bit of  a hit maybe, particularly in certain sectors ie. high end accommodation, but there's more than US golfers that go to St Andrews. Even if the rest of golfing visitors disappeared you'd still have the locals. And let's not forget the University and what that brings to the local economy. 

St Andrews is so much more than a resort destination for Americans and to suggest that it depends on them just doesn't bear any kind of scrutiny IMO.

Anyway, I take it the review wasn't very good ?

Niall

Niall-What kind of rate do locals and university students pay to play St. Andrews?

Niall C

« Reply #21 on: Today at 09:50:01 AM »
Tim

I've no idea. Presumably your point is that American golfing visitors put more into the local economy than locals or students ? If you were using the amount of revenue of the Links Trust attributable to US golfers relative to students and locals as the yardstick then perhaps that might be the case (I've no idea, haven't seen the figures). I'd imagine it would certainly be the case if you looked at spend per capita. But that's not taking into account visiting golfers from elsewhere.

However as significant as golf tourism is, and US golfers are only a part of that remember, it's not the be all and end all of the St Andrews economy. If the next US President were to inexplicably ban US citizens from visiting the UK, that would certainly have an impact on St Andrews. Particularly certain sectors such as high end hotels, but shops, pubs and other businesses would continue trading. For instance the town would be full of (high spending) students as usual.

My point being, St Andrews doesn't depend on visiting US golfers.   

Niall

Tim Martin

« Reply #22 on: Today at 10:11:14 AM »
Tim

I've no idea. Presumably your point is that American golfing visitors put more into the local economy than locals or students ? If you were using the amount of revenue of the Links Trust attributable to US golfers relative to students and locals as the yardstick then perhaps that might be the case (I've no idea, haven't seen the figures). I'd imagine it would certainly be the case if you looked at spend per capita. But that's not taking into account visiting golfers from elsewhere.

However as significant as golf tourism is, and US golfers are only a part of that remember, it's not the be all and end all of the St Andrews economy. If the next US President were to inexplicably ban US citizens from visiting the UK, that would certainly have an impact on St Andrews. Particularly certain sectors such as high end hotels, but shops, pubs and other businesses would continue trading. For instance the town would be full of (high spending) students as usual.

My point being, St Andrews doesn't depend on visiting US golfers.   

Niall

Niall-You referenced “the rest of golfing visitors” and not just Americans. I believe that the Links Trust as well as the town absolutely depend on those visitors.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:26:31 AM »
I wonder how the fellow liked his daiquiri. 

Mark Pearce

« Reply #24 on: Today at 10:29:40 AM »
I don't think Jay Rayner was suggesting that St Andrews would cease to exist without American golf tourists.  And
that isn't what I read the word "depends" to mean.  I am well aware that other nationalities visit St Andrews.  But I suspect that, ranked by their contribution to the city's GDP, US visiting golfers are the most significant nationality.  Their contribution is certainly significant.  Particularly when you look at, say, top end accommodation and restaurants.

So your outrage at his words appears....misplaced.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back