News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Advice this weekend SC
« on: September 27, 2024, 11:40:08 AM »
Small group of 7 Deal members in Aiken on my 60th trip. The weather has hit hard and Old Barnwell is closed tomorrow, there’s an event on a Tree Farm. Any ideas within 90 minutes that may have got away with the weather and we can access on a Saturday?
Cave Nil Vino

jeffwarne

Re: Advice this weekend SC
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2024, 01:25:36 PM »
Small group of 7 Deal members in Aiken on my 60th trip. The weather has hit hard and Old Barnwell is closed tomorrow, there’s an event on a Tree Farm. Any ideas within 90 minutes that may have got away with the weather and we can access on a Saturday?

Camden?
Aiken GC?
The problem will be less about it's a Saturday and more about pent up demand from everywhere being closed since Thursday.
I don't think anywhere within 90 miles escaped the wrath
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2024, 01:46:10 PM »
I mean a Category 1 Hurricane in the middle of Georgia is really an act of god. Tropical storm force winds currently cover the entire state of South Carolina (per NOAA/NHC). If I were you I would try to get as far away from the center of the storm as possible, and that means driving a few hours. Kiawah Island may be the best bet, as it's in the exact opposite direction of the storm.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Mike Worth

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2024, 05:42:40 PM »
I mean a Category 1 Hurricane in the middle of Georgia is really an act of god. Tropical storm force winds currently cover the entire state of South Carolina (per NOAA/NHC). If I were you I would try to get as far away from the center of the storm as possible, and that means driving a few hours. Kiawah Island may be the best bet, as it's in the exact opposite direction of the storm.

I’m in the Charleston/Summerville SC area right now. I don’t know where this report of statewide winds came from but the weather‘s been perfect here since about noon 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2024, 05:44:46 PM by Mike Worth »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2024, 06:12:30 PM »

I’m in the Charleston/Summerville SC area right now. I don’t know where this report of statewide winds came from but the weather‘s been perfect here since about noon

My club outside Greenville/Spartanburg got 8 inches of rain. I have not seen pictures, but my guess is that the river overflowed onto some of the holes.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2024, 06:52:41 PM »

The advice from NOAA was stale and outdated when I posted, it's since been updated. That advice was from when the tropical storm had just entered Tennessee.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2024, 04:51:30 AM »
We managed to get to Aiken but the town was badly hit and both Old Barnwell and Tree Farm were closed until at least Tuesday. It took us 6 hours to do 90 miles to Reynolds Plantation where we managed to get a couple of cottages, despite huge amounts of rain they’d avoided the winds by less than 10 miles. The golf was modest but it saved the end of a great trip.
Cave Nil Vino

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2024, 12:08:42 PM »
We managed to get to Aiken but the town was badly hit and both Old Barnwell and Tree Farm were closed until at least Tuesday. It took us 6 hours to do 90 miles to Reynolds Plantation where we managed to get a couple of cottages, despite huge amounts of rain they’d avoided the winds by less than 10 miles. The golf was modest but it saved the end of a great trip.

Reynolds is a really nice place.

None of the golf courses are spectacular (although they do have some nice scenery, especially Great Waters) but none are bad, either.

Ian Cox

« Reply #8 on: Today at 03:27:51 PM »

Reynolds is a really nice place…

That’s my thoughts too, Reynolds is really nice… and to many it’s closer to great… I’ve enjoyed many a visit, all the golf is solid, and Creek is Jim Engh at his best! Fore, Ian

None of the golf courses are spectacular (although they do have some nice scenery, especially Great Waters) but none are bad, either.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #9 on: Today at 05:43:52 PM »

Reynolds is a really nice place.

I thought they changed the name after the horrific murders a few years back. It’s Reynolds’s any longer is it?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back