News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

Stonewall Elverson Pa
« on: Yesterday at 03:04:24 PM »
 ;D

Hello all ... heading back to Stonewall after a twenty year hiatus next month for a couple days of golf with a nice group. What's everybody's take on the golf course and facility in general ?

Ryan Book

Re: Stonewall Elverson Pa
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 03:31:58 PM »
The bunkers could use an update in aesthetic but I'm not prickly enough to deny the setting of the back nine, regardless of whether I (or Edmund Hillary) could walk it. Rarely intellectual, frequently fun.
"Cops are an abomination." - C.B. Macdonald and/or Jello Biafra

@BethpageBlackMetal

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 03:52:01 PM »
It has an aura.
AKA Mayday

archie_struthers

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 04:05:02 PM »
 8)

I'm not exactly skinny in my old age so will have to bring my best shoes for the walk . Caddied there and played a little in tournaments in my youth and the Old Course was one of the hardest greens for me to read . Never had problems like I did there reading greens . Interested to see if my skills are still tested to the max LOL

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 05:18:00 PM »
Stonewall's North Course is one of my favorite courses to play. I could play it every day and not get bored. The greens are wild. Plus, it's fun, strategic and interesting for both the low and high handicappers.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 08:31:33 PM »
Stonewall is a fave.

I’ve been fortunate to play both courses multiple times over the last 20 years.

Here are how my eyes and camera saw this 36 hole delight:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/StonewallOld_2023/index.html

And

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/StonewallNorth_October2023/index.html

JWB
« Last Edit: Today at 08:32:46 AM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

MCirba

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 08:40:10 PM »
For my taste, a 10 round split between North and Old favors the former 7-3 or even  8-2.

I know that's a minority opinion but I really like the Old and simply think the North is one of the most underrated courses in the US, suffering the fate of being the 2nd course following a successful first.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 09:14:48 PM »
For my taste, a 10 round split between North and Old favors the former 7-3 or even  8-2.

I know that's a minority opinion but I really like the Old and simply think the North is one of the most underrated courses in the US, suffering the fate of being the 2nd course following a successful first.

What he said.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 09:29:50 PM »

Mike, I would have my split just the opposite. The Old is such a good golf course. It requires good ball striking, well thought out strategy, and good putting. I felt the North had more mediocre holes, although I have only played it once, so I might have missed something.

Why are you so high on the North?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 11:31:42 PM »

Mike, I would have my split just the opposite. The Old is such a good golf course. It requires good ball striking, well thought out strategy, and good putting. I felt the North had more mediocre holes, although I have only played it once, so I might have missed something.

Why are you so high on the North?

Having not been on the property....
This could likely be a very clear indicator of the importance of routing as integral to design.
Tom inherited much of the Old routing - the North would be more Tom.
The client could have gotten better at their tasks too - providing a larger parcel.
peace
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jeffrey Conners

« Reply #10 on: Today at 08:16:26 AM »
I would also split the rounds 7-3 in favor of the North; the actual rounds played splits are 6.5-3.5 in favor of the North, which is likely due primarily to the availability of carts at the North.  Paradoxically, I think the routing of the North is more walker-friendly, as the first ten holes at the Old have several long walks back from green to tee (2,5,6,7,10).

Dan Delaney 🐮

« Reply #11 on: Today at 10:21:05 AM »
I’ve been lurking on my phone unable to log in for years.  Archie has pulled me back to the PC this morning… I couldn’t resist. Stonewall is my happy place.  I sincerely hope you enjoy your return!

Interesting to see everyone’s 10 round splits.  I think I have a unique perspective, and the guys I’ve run before it by haven’t killed me for it, so here goes:

Absent extenuating circumstances, it’s not about the walk (North is easier) or cart availability (North only).  It’s not about the greens (North wild, Old more traditional / classic).  It’s about the test, your personality, and what you want for 3 hours of your time.

The Old is a pure championship test - off the tee, into and around the greens, and finally on them.  With rare exceptions of #12 and 16 (maybe six & eight), the short side miss is DEAD.  It’s just so easy for good players to make bogey and walk away scratching their heads, carding one of the highest rounds of their year.  Then looking at their higher handicap buddy playing a usual game and posting a round they are very proud of.  It hits every mark of a course that’s tougher for scratch than a bogey golfer.

The North is pure fun [--W---I---D---E--] off the tee, then challenging into greens where elephants were laid to rest.  A feast for the imagination – using the ground and slopes to work the ball, on approach, around and finally on the greens.  But here, due to the extreme internal contours, the short side miss is PREFERRED on 3, 4, 6, 8, 11, 12, 14, 15, 18.  It plays significantly easier relative to par and GHIN rating (2-4 additional strokes on Old than North are common, depending on tees).

Those who want a stern challenge, are a bit (?) of a masochist, or want to see where your game stacks up – your split will always favor the Old.  If that’s not you, your split will favor the North.

It’s a great problem to have.

@Archie_Struthers – Anyone who says they can read the green on 16 Old is a liar.  Have fun!
@Ryan Book – Do you write Yelp reviews? I’m glad I’m not a chef. lol
@Mike Malone – preach.  (BTW RG's evolution is exceptional.  Kudos)
@Tommy Williamsen – one trip around the North needs a boost.  Entire holes change depending on tee/hole locations, much more so here than elsewhere.
@Mike Nuzzo – yes, Tom inherited much of the routing.  Too often it ends there – IMO, he deserves soooo much more credit for breaking the other Tom’s routing around 3-4-5-6 and 9-10-11-18.  Many of the other holes were/are impacted by an unground petroleum pipeline.  And not the least, what lays on the ground today is vastly different than what would have been. A light touch always wins.

Ryan Book

« Reply #12 on: Today at 11:05:31 AM »
The bunkers could use an update in aesthetic but I'm not prickly enough to deny the setting of the back nine, regardless of whether I (or Edmund Hillary) could walk it. Rarely intellectual, frequently fun.

I feel quite fortunate that no one called me out on reviewing the wrong Pennsylvania "Stonewall," despite Archie providing the municipality in question as a hint. I was, of course, speaking of "Olde Stonewall" north of Pittsburgh, which is in "Ellwood," not "Elverson."

Last thing my reputation needs is Tom jumping on here and thinking that I find his design(s) "rarely intellectual, frequently fun."
"Cops are an abomination." - C.B. Macdonald and/or Jello Biafra

@BethpageBlackMetal

Dan Delaney 🐮

« Reply #13 on: Today at 11:17:54 AM »

I feel quite fortunate that no one called me out on reviewing the wrong Pennsylvania "Stonewall," despite Archie providing the municipality in question as a hint. I was, of course, speaking of "Olde Stonewall" north of Pittsburgh, which is in "Ellwood," not "Elverson."

Last thing my reputation needs is Tom jumping on here and thinking that I find his design(s) "rarely intellectual, frequently fun."

Hysterical.  Given this new information, I hereby withdraw my Yelp accusation.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back