News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Re: Overrated Courses
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2024, 03:29:39 PM »
I'll say it -- Pebble Beach. A lot of forgettable holes that you wouldn't remember at all if they weren't located in the most spectacular setting on the planet.

Kevin, can’t argue with your opinion but I will tell you I can still remember every club I hit on every shot when I played Pebble well over 10 years ago. Couldn’t do the same for any other round of golf I’ve played.

I should clarify...the majority of the holes are all-world. The others are uninspired IMO beyond their setting. 1, 2, 13, 15, and 16 are meh to me. A top 10 course in the world shouldn't have that much meh.

I've played Pebble Beach 100 times, 4 times each year for 25 consecutive year, so I claim to be a self appointed expert. While I agree that there are a few mundane holes, I loved every round. I thought it was a very fair course to score on and that made for very enjoyable rounds vs. Oakmont which if I hade to play 100 rounds, I'd just quit golf (or maybe learn how to play it after 5-10 rounds). I always wanted to get thru 8 at -1 or +1 to par, because the course gets appreciably more difficult after 8.

I think Pine Valley is the best course and if I was a member, I'd look forward to 100 rounds.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

David Kelly

« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2024, 05:54:49 PM »
Underrated nowadays, emphatically (although not on this site) remains RND Westward Ho! with as Ran says about the greatest variety of hazard of any golf course in the UK.
Agree completely about RND and his course profile of Westward Ho! is one of the best things Ran has ever written on this site. 
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2024, 07:33:14 PM »
Mike,

Great that you were able to see those courses! What was the consensus of the group? Were there certain features/holes that stuck out?

What else were you able to see? Hope you had a good trip!

It was an incredible trip, thanks.

Western Gailes
Royal Troon
Turnberry
Prestwick
Royal Dornoch
Trump Aberdeen
Cabot (Castle Stuart)
Cruden Bay
Royal Aberdeen

First trip over for me .. about half the 12 had been before but not played any of these courses. Turnberrry was early and even with exceptional wind, the general dinner conversation was "is this the best course in the world?" Certainly it's in a conversation .. and I thought it was incredible - definitely can see why it's a championship course.

Past that, most of us (including me) had a tie between Dornoch and Cruden Bay as the one you'd most want to play. The blind holes on CB I loved. Prestwick had some of the most unique holes I'd ever seen.

Trump Aberdeen and Cabot were awesome experiences .. the views are unreal. The holes were underwhelming .. mainly I think because they're competing with such historical and more fun "quirk." No regrets, just makes me want to go play every "no name" links course over there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back