News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

TOC Bafflement
« on: September 25, 2024, 12:32:08 PM »
I know that one is supposed to be baffled on the first play of TOC. I certainly was, particularly the lines to take on 2-6 and 12-16. The seeming paradox that prompts this post is that while TOC has inspired generations of architects, I am hard pressed to think of another course (links or otherwise) that is so baffling.

Michael Felton

Re: TOC Bafflement
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2024, 01:35:11 PM »
Royal St Georges has several holes on it where you can't really tell where you're supposed to be going. 2, 4, 7, 12, 13, 17 for example you're only vaguely aware of where the hole is (and on 7 even that's questionable).

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2024, 03:34:53 PM »
Less elevation change can be very confusing and forms an important aspect of visual deception, dead ground, camouflage techniques etc.
Unfortunately visual aspects of the game are less important in relation to the long game these days with yardage books, satnav based devices and range finders. Fortunately visual aspects can still form a thought provoking part of the game on shorter shots into and around the green. Mowing lines, length of grass, playing angles in relation to sunrise, sunset and shade etc can also play a part in this.
Atb

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 11:23:28 AM »
I know that one is supposed to be baffled on the first play of TOC. I certainly was, particularly the lines to take on 2-6 and 12-16. The seeming paradox that prompts this post is that while TOC has inspired generations of architects, I am hard pressed to think of another course (links or otherwise) that is so baffling.

Ira, Wait until you play the new Lido. Even with a caddy, it is pretty baffling the first time (and probably until you get to play it several times.)  It has many of the characteristics that Thomas D refers to in his preceding post: "Less elevation change can be very confusing and forms an important aspect of visual deception, dead ground, camouflage techniques etc."

I'll be curious to hear which one you think was more baffling on your first play.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: TOC Bafflement New
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 11:33:04 AM »
Not to the extent of TOC, but Tobacco Road and Tot Hill Farm are pretty confusing the first time around.
Lido is a good call.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:36:04 AM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back