News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Finn

Re: What are you missing…
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2024, 10:47:26 AM »
My travel "bucket list" is a bit more conservative than most, because I'm a bit more pragmatic than most. Currently trying to center my experience/expertise on Ohio, as I live right in the middle of it. Doing pretty well in terms of getting to the "bests," as well as the obscure/semi-obscure Golden Agers but, as you may be surprised to learn, it's those "top 10" that are the tough ones to find a buddy at.

Eventually, when they money's right and the kids a bit older, I aim to join a club. Probably not a Scioto Country Club, or even a Columbus Country Club. Those clubs are already "there." I'd like to join one that's not there yet but has the potential to be there...

...which transitions into goal no. 3, which is to be on a greens committee and help usher a club with a potential become something worth talking about.
Ryan, perhaps you can add your thoughts to this thread on the best courses of Ohio from a few years ago.  I can't recall exactly how/why I ended up posting the list, as Ben Cowan had done all of the groundwork, but it stirred up some good discussion.  I wonder how all of the recent (and ongoing) work would re-configure the results today.

Ohio Top 40 (December 2017) (golfclubatlas.com)
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Bruce Katona

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2024, 10:51:37 AM »
8. Gonna add one..........which is unatainable:

Since I did get to meet him briefly and we're about the same build (all-be-it he lifts weights/works out and has a V upper body buold I never did) hit the ball as far and like Rory for just one day!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2024, 10:54:36 AM »
If we're limiting this to what is actually missing, as opposed to Make-A-Wish foundation type requests...

I think there are only two for me:

1)  A trip to ANGC, preferably a practice round to get a front and center look at the course.
2)  A pilgrimage to the home of golf in Saint Andrews.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2024, 02:58:32 PM »
I’m proud of the small role I played in making large green side fans obsolete. In that vein I’d like to do the same with drones.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2024, 03:13:42 PM »
I carried in the U. S. Senior Women’s Championship a few years ago and would love to carry in any top amateur or professional events. Referrals appreciated with $50 finders fee.

That and play a George C Thomas, Jr. course.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2024, 03:19:19 PM by Mike Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John Handley

« Reply #30 on: Yesterday at 04:12:16 PM »
I am in a really good spot with my golf resume in my mind but there are some goals I have still...

* Win a club championship.  Now that I'm 56, I guess it is in the senior division.  ;D

* Win a member/guest.  We usually get whipped because we have real handicaps and my partners like to have more fun and booze it up vs. get too serious, which is fine.  But it would be fun to win.

* The top 5 US courses I want to play (not including Augusta)
   Pine Valley, NGL, Shinnecock, Sand Hills, and Chicago GC.  I think I've got a track to make it happen.

* Top 5 GB&I course I want to play
    Birkdale, St. Enodoc Church, Royal Porthcawl, Rye, and Deal. I definitely am going to make this happen.
    (I'm playing Moortown, Alwoodley, Canton, Woodhall Spa, Brancaster, Hunstanton, Sherwood Forest, and Hollinwell next year so I am not including those).

* I'd like to get a trip booked in the future to go play in Australia and New Zealand.  They're probably two separate trips but they're on the list.

I've played 36 of top 100 in USA and 37 of top 50 in GB&I (including next year's trip) but I don't have a huge desire to try to get all. I love playing great courses but if I miss a few, it doesn't bother me.

2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back