News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

If Sand Hills was…
« on: September 21, 2024, 04:13:43 PM »
Built today. How would it be ranked?

In the Sand Hills?

In the United Stares?

In the World?

It would be a tough debut in a saturated region.

Jerry Kluger

Re: If Sand Hills was…
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2024, 05:38:07 PM »
I would agree that it would be tough but anytime you are first and do it oh so well then anyone or anything that wants to say it is better must be so good that there is no question that it is better.  I had brought this up relative to Ballyneal which I think is fantastic but can I point to some thing(s) which make it clearly better - no.  Sand Hills opened the door for so many courses that may not have been built as the developer may not have seen the potential that was seen at Sand Hills.

Joe Zucker

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2024, 10:00:02 PM »
I would be mildly surprised if the 13th hole could survive if it were built today.  To be frank, I'm surprised it's survived in it's current form to 2024.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2024, 09:22:52 AM »
I would be mildly surprised if the 13th hole could survive if it were built today.  To be frank, I'm surprised it's survived in it's current form to 2024.

I was at Sand Hills for a week 20 years ago. I could never hold the green on the par three 13th no matter what I did. By chance Bill Coore was there that week and I was introduced to him. I wanted to tell him that I hated 13. But thought of asking a different question. So I asked, “What kind of shot did you envision the player making on 13?” His reply was classic. “Well Tom, we just smoothed out the dirt and put grass seed down.”
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2024, 01:17:00 PM »
JK-Good to see you posting and with a Mucciesque thread title no less. Pat would be proud!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2024, 10:53:23 AM »
I will answer the question. Sand Hills would still be ranked high if it were built in the last few years. Its quality is undeniable.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Steve Lapper

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2024, 11:30:03 AM »
Sand Hills is the very rare modern course that has near 18 unique and excellent holes, thus more than justifiably deserves its lofty ranking.

There are very few, if any, flaws there.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2024, 08:39:40 PM »
I believe that in a blind taste test of golfers in their 30’s Landmand would beat Sand Hills 5 up with 4 to play.

Daryl David

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2024, 09:13:56 PM »
I believe that in a blind taste test of golfers in their 30’s Landmand would beat Sand Hills 5 up with 4 to play.

What about Ballyneal?  Had Bally preceded SH, how would they rank now? 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2024, 09:20:54 PM »
Ballyneal is the gold standard in the 30 something demo. The proximity to Denver puts it a tier above Landmand.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2024, 10:06:44 PM »

What about Ballyneal?  Had Bally preceded SH, how would they rank now?

In alphabetical order.

Jason Topp

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2024, 08:58:39 AM »

You need to hit it at the left edge of the green.  There is a bowl there.   It is a great hole that rewards those who figure out how to play it and execute a decent shot. 

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2024, 09:11:43 AM »
Ballyneal is the gold standard in the 30 something demo. The proximity to Denver puts it a tier above Landmand.

It's also the gold standard for this 70-something person

Shane Wright

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2024, 09:29:15 AM »

You need to hit it at the left edge of the green.  There is a bowl there.   It is a great hole that rewards those who figure out how to play it and execute a decent shot.

AGREED. Everyone has different tastes.  But I have always thought 13 was one of the best holes on the course.  It's a stand out par 3 for me.  It requires more strategy than most par 3's and it's beautiful, hard, a half par hole, and a feat if you can par it.  I absolutely love it. 

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2024, 10:40:34 AM »
Didn't Nick Faldo ace #13 in his one time playing the course? 
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2024, 10:51:57 AM »

You don't think that 30 year old folks can discern greatness?
St. John of the Cross

Joe Zucker

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2024, 11:16:46 AM »

AGREED. Everyone has different tastes.  But I have always thought 13 was one of the best holes on the course.  It's a stand out par 3 for me.  It requires more strategy than most par 3's and it's beautiful, hard, a half par hole, and a feat if you can par it.  I absolutely love it.

I appreciate the response here. I played 4 rounds there with a scratch, a 2, a 7 and an 8 handicap.  In those 16 shots, 0 balls ended up on the green.  I can see that Jason is right that the bowl on the left will catch the call and allow it to hold the green.  I'd argue that area is far too small to expect a player to hit from 180-200 yards out. Especially on such a windy site.  I'm not sure how much strategy is really involved if you should aim for that left bowl regardless of where the pin is?

If it was built today, I wonder if it would be softened a bit.  Regardless, I agree it is a beautiful and natural hole.  I would not place it in the top holes on one of the best 3 courses I've every played, but that's a pretty high bar (and only my opinion)! 

Sand Hills has such a different vibe than Ballyneal or Dismal.  Us dreaded millenials may not have aged into the quiet confidence of Sand Hills yet. In that way, John is probably right that 30 year olds probably prefer Ballyneal.  Sand Hills probably wants it this way, anyways.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2024, 02:01:25 PM »

Not at all. I believe that if I had the strength, wisdom and testosterone of a 30 year old I would clearly love Landman more. 30 year olds also never experienced the romance of Sand Hills when it was a mystical destination full of anonymous members. That’s all gone now.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2024, 04:04:33 PM »

Not at all. I believe that if I had the strength, wisdom and testosterone of a 30 year old I would clearly love Landman more. 30 year olds also never experienced the romance of Sand Hills when it was a mystical destination full of anonymous members. That’s all gone now.

JK,

Sand Hills is still a mystical destination for me at age 66. If you are a non-anonymous member, please let me join you one day!

Ben Sims

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2024, 04:11:20 PM »

Can’t drive a cart blind.

Kidding aside there’s some interesting meat on that bone. Based on the topic on another thread, I bet you’re not far off. My brother called me two weeks ago to tell me he’d just played the best course he’s ever played at Atlanta Athletic Club. We spent four days at Old Barnwell in April and also played Palmetto that trip. But he’s my twin and he’s been wrong for 42 years. This is nothing new.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2024, 04:17:21 PM by Ben Sims »

Jason Topp

« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 02:23:28 PM »

I appreciate the response here. I played 4 rounds there with a scratch, a 2, a 7 and an 8 handicap.  In those 16 shots, 0 balls ended up on the green.  I can see that Jason is right that the bowl on the left will catch the call and allow it to hold the green.  I'd argue that area is far too small to expect a player to hit from 180-200 yards out. Especially on such a windy site.  I'm not sure how much strategy is really involved if you should aim for that left bowl regardless of where the pin is?

It is pretty rare that a par 3 will be strategic, at least in my experience.   For me, the tension between what your instincts tell you to do (hit it at the middle of the green) and the best play (risk the left bunker and attempt to hit the bowl) is what makes the hole special.  Agree it is a difficult shot but I haven’t had a single digit handicap in years and can still pull it off often enough that I feel like I have a chance. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back