News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

If Sand Hills was…
« on: September 21, 2024, 04:13:43 PM »
Built today. How would it be ranked?

In the Sand Hills?

In the United Stares?

In the World?

It would be a tough debut in a saturated region.

Jerry Kluger

Re: If Sand Hills was…
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2024, 05:38:07 PM »
I would agree that it would be tough but anytime you are first and do it oh so well then anyone or anything that wants to say it is better must be so good that there is no question that it is better.  I had brought this up relative to Ballyneal which I think is fantastic but can I point to some thing(s) which make it clearly better - no.  Sand Hills opened the door for so many courses that may not have been built as the developer may not have seen the potential that was seen at Sand Hills.

Joe Zucker

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2024, 10:00:02 PM »
I would be mildly surprised if the 13th hole could survive if it were built today.  To be frank, I'm surprised it's survived in it's current form to 2024.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2024, 09:22:52 AM »
I would be mildly surprised if the 13th hole could survive if it were built today.  To be frank, I'm surprised it's survived in it's current form to 2024.

I was at Sand Hills for a week 20 years ago. I could never hold the green on the par three 13th no matter what I did. By chance Bill Coore was there that week and I was introduced to him. I wanted to tell him that I hated 13. But thought of asking a different question. So I asked, “What kind of shot did you envision the player making on 13?” His reply was classic. “Well Tom, we just smoothed out the dirt and put grass seed down.”
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2024, 01:17:00 PM »
JK-Good to see you posting and with a Mucciesque thread title no less. Pat would be proud!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 10:53:23 AM »
I will answer the question. Sand Hills would still be ranked high if it were built in the last few years. Its quality is undeniable.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Steve Lapper

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 11:30:03 AM »
Sand Hills is the very rare modern course that has near 18 unique and excellent holes, thus more than justifiably deserves its lofty ranking.

There are very few, if any, flaws there.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 08:39:40 PM »
I believe that in a blind taste test of golfers in their 30’s Landmand would beat Sand Hills 5 up with 4 to play.

Daryl David

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 09:13:56 PM »
I believe that in a blind taste test of golfers in their 30’s Landmand would beat Sand Hills 5 up with 4 to play.

What about Ballyneal?  Had Bally preceded SH, how would they rank now? 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 09:20:54 PM »
Ballyneal is the gold standard in the 30 something demo. The proximity to Denver puts it a tier above Landmand.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 10:06:44 PM »

What about Ballyneal?  Had Bally preceded SH, how would they rank now?

In alphabetical order.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back