News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil Young

How Mid-Pines got its name...
« on: September 18, 2024, 11:58:16 PM »
While reading a contemporaneous newspaper article about Fresh Meadow Country Club, designed by Tilly and host to the 1930 PGA championship and 1932 U. S. Open, I came across a surprising piece of information.
      The article was published on December 18th, 1921 in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle. It was a short article about the recent announcement that a new golf club was formed in Jamaica, Queens in New York City. This had the surprising heading that announced, “New Golf Links Has Name of Ouimet’s Club.” This was certain to attract the eyes of anyone at all who loved both the game of golf as well as the storied victory that Francis Ouimet accomplished.
      The article stated, “The Woodland Golf Club, recently formed by members of the Unity Club of Brooklyn, has purchased a tract of 106 acres on the black Stump Road, near Union Turnpike, Jamaica, which is to be developed as an 18-hole course…
      “Woodland is the name of the club in the Boston district made widely known by two of its memebrs, Francis Ouimet, and the present national amateur golf champion, Jesse Guilford. Duplication of names frequently causes confusion and perhaps a club with as promising a future as this new Jamaica organization has may deem it wise to adopt a name distinctively its own. A year ago a new club near Pinehurst chose the name Knollwood. Attention was called in The Eagle then to the fact that there is a Knollwood Club in the Metropolitan District. Thereupon the name was changed to Mid-Pines, which is peculiar to that club alone and not an echo of another name.”
      I did a quick but cursory look into how the club got its name and can find no reference to it. Obviously a bit more research is needed, so I thought I’d share the above in hopes that someone may confirm what was published 103 years ago.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:04:50 AM by Phil Young »

John Blain

Re: How Mid-Pines got its name...
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 10:45:25 AM »
While reading a contemporaneous newspaper article about Fresh Meadow Country Club, designed by Tilly and host to the 1930 PGA championship and 1932 U. S. Open, I came across a surprising piece of information.
      The article was published on December 18th, 1921 in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle. It was a short article about the recent announcement that a new golf club was formed in Jamaica, Queens in New York City. This had the surprising heading that announced, “New Golf Links Has Name of Ouimet’s Club.” This was certain to attract the eyes of anyone at all who loved both the game of golf as well as the storied victory that Francis Ouimet accomplished.
      The article stated, “The Woodland Golf Club, recently formed by members of the Unity Club of Brooklyn, has purchased a tract of 106 acres on the black Stump Road, near Union Turnpike, Jamaica, which is to be developed as an 18-hole course…
      “Woodland is the name of the club in the Boston district made widely known by two of its memebrs, Francis Ouimet, and the present national amateur golf champion, Jesse Guilford. Duplication of names frequently causes confusion and perhaps a club with as promising a future as this new Jamaica organization has may deem it wise to adopt a name distinctively its own. A year ago a new club near Pinehurst chose the name Knollwood. Attention was called in The Eagle then to the fact that there is a Knollwood Club in the Metropolitan District. Thereupon the name was changed to Mid-Pines, which is peculiar to that club alone and not an echo of another name.”
      I did a quick but cursory look into how the club got its name and can find no reference to it. Obviously a bit more research is needed, so I thought I’d share the above in hopes that someone may confirm what was published 103 years ago.

Phil-
As you probably know there is a Knollwood GC right down the street from Mid-Pines. It has a very popular driving range and what looks like an executive type of golf course. It looks old and tired like it has been there forever.

Brian Finn

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 03:11:00 PM »
The front of the scorecard for Pine Needles actually lists Knollwood as its location. 

New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Phil Young

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 04:50:16 PM »
Neither the Knollwood down the street from Mid-Pines nor the Knollwood on the scorecard of Pine Needles are the "Knollwood' that the December 18th, 1921 Brooklyn Daily Eagle was refering to. It clearly states that it changed its name from Knollwood to Mid-Pines. This would have occurred earlier that year as it was designed by Donald Ross in 1921. Fresh Meadow had the same thing happen to them when it was formed as a club in 1921. Originally called the Unity Golf Club, it then changed its name to "Knollwood" followed by the final change to Fresh Meadow Country Club which made more sense anyway as it was built in the Fresh Meadow community of Jamaica, Queens.

Brian Finn

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 04:57:03 PM »
Neither the Knollwood down the street from Mid-Pines nor the Knollwood on the scorecard of Pine Needles are the "Knollwood' that the December 18th, 1921 Brooklyn Daily Eagle was refering to. It clearly states that it changed its name from Knollwood to Mid-Pines.
Right.  The area or neighborhood is/was called Knollwood, and Mid Pines was the first Knollwood GC.  Pine Needles is right across the street, and now there is a small 9 holer called Knollwood. 
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Phil Young

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 05:42:33 PM »
I don't have any real historical knowledge of the area, and I couldn't understand why they would have named it Knollwood. That the area was named that makes a great deal of sense to name it that. yet its new name, Mid-Pines, is iconic and sets it apart from all the other great courses in the area. It looks like the Brooklyn Daily Eagle did them a favor by challenging them on the Knollwood name.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 10:12:54 PM »
I do believe the name comes from the highway it sits on, Midland rd., and the trees that surround it.   
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back