News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

Re: Your top "underrated"
« Reply #25 on: Today at 02:38:03 PM »
USA
  • Blue mound
  • Austin gc
  • Valley club
International
  • Shanqin bay
  • Cape Wickham
  • Ono GC
  • Formby
  • The sacred nine

"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #26 on: Today at 02:47:24 PM »
IMO the most underrated course in Florida is the Dye Course at PGA Village.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Ira Fishman

« Reply #27 on: Today at 03:08:33 PM »
I should have had Fraserburgh on my first post. What an underappreciated delight.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #28 on: Today at 03:16:41 PM »
I know this topic has been discussed previously, but I always enjoy hearing about places folks have played that may not be in the Top 100 but hold a special place in your personal rankings.

For me, three come to mind:

• Blue Mound - hard to find many places where the architect has done more with less. Just pure fun, playable, and masterful Raynor on an otherwise rather bland piece of property.
  • Brookside (Canton, OH) - Had the pleasure of playing this summer, so maybe some recency bias here. I was floored by the green complexes and incredible elevation changes. The property could use some more tree removal, but I wouldn't get tired of playing this place on a regular basis.
  • Culver Academy - if this place had a locker room with good shower pressure (or whatever else helps rankings) and 9 even mediocre holes, I firmly believe this would be a top 100 contender. I've been lucky enough to play here quite a few times as it's less than an hour from me and absolutely love it every time. The super (Mike Vessley) does an oustanding job and posts incredible pictures on Twitter and Instagram as well.
Will, Darryl, Jeff,
       Thanks for the kind words regarding BMGCC. As you may know we are completing our restoration as we speak. Bruce Hepner has done a terrific job along with our world class Supt Alex. 2025 will be a very special year as the completely restored course is revealed. It's no longer a hidden gem......

Jim Sherma

« Reply #29 on: Today at 03:34:01 PM »
I make a more general case that the classic Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area courses in the Coal Belt of north-central PA are vastly underrated.

*Wyoming Valley CC - Tillinghast
Fox Hills CC - Tillinghast
Irem CC - Tillinghast
*Valley CC - Tillinghast
*CC of Scranton - Travis
*Elkview CC - Ross
Elmhurst CC - Ross
Glen Oak CC - James Harrison
Huntsville GC - R Jones

All of these are worthy with the * courses being worth going out of your way for.

John Foley

« Reply #30 on: Today at 05:30:12 PM »
Another one for Leatherstocking!!

Wildhorse

Dormie

North Berwick. I don't know where I hear it but someone said:

The Old Course is one of the top 5 courses in the world, but I dream about North Berwick!
Integrity in the moment of choice

David Kelly

« Reply #31 on: Today at 05:39:04 PM »

UK/Ireland
Hindhead GC
Fraserbugh GC
Ardglass GC
Westward Ho!
Trevose GC

USA
Manufacturers G&CC
Eastward Ho!
Hillcrest CC
Morris County CC
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #32 on: Today at 05:59:55 PM »
Bit of a loaded question, since so many of the underrated by others (and ignored by the media) are rated quite highly here.

For me, in these United States:

Gulph Mills
Teugega
Yahnundasis

UK:

New Zealand
Woking

"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Bill Gayne

« Reply #33 on: Today at 06:11:22 PM »
Sand Hills

This is a bold choice. I haven't played Sand Hills so can't argue but a course already well entrenched in the top 10. I've played the courses around it on the list and it's high praise considering it under rated.

Will Thrasher

« Reply #34 on: Today at 08:25:46 PM »
It doesn't say underrated courses only, so I'm going with conditions.

I've been playing lately on a course clearly built on an old farm field. Probably clay underneath it, the turf can be a bit patchy, but they keep it a little longer and drier and that gives it an excellent bounce and roll. The greens are usually open at the front and I almost always bounce it short and roll it on. It goes to show that they can give you firm and fast conditions on almost any soil, as long as you can accept slower greens and longer turf in the fairways. I really like it! At this point, the spin I lose on irons from the fairway doesn't matter to me at all, I'd rather run that thing on anyway!

I've enjoyed reading each and every one of the replies, but absolutely love out of the box answers like this. Now I'm curious...what's the name of this place?
Twitter: @will_thrasher_

Will Thrasher

« Reply #35 on: Today at 08:29:29 PM »
I know this topic has been discussed previously, but I always enjoy hearing about places folks have played that may not be in the Top 100 but hold a special place in your personal rankings.

For me, three come to mind:

• Blue Mound - hard to find many places where the architect has done more with less. Just pure fun, playable, and masterful Raynor on an otherwise rather bland piece of property.
  • Brookside (Canton, OH) - Had the pleasure of playing this summer, so maybe some recency bias here. I was floored by the green complexes and incredible elevation changes. The property could use some more tree removal, but I wouldn't get tired of playing this place on a regular basis.
  • Culver Academy - if this place had a locker room with good shower pressure (or whatever else helps rankings) and 9 even mediocre holes, I firmly believe this would be a top 100 contender. I've been lucky enough to play here quite a few times as it's less than an hour from me and absolutely love it every time. The super (Mike Vessley) does an oustanding job and posts incredible pictures on Twitter and Instagram as well.
Will, Darryl, Jeff,
       Thanks for the kind words regarding BMGCC. As you may know we are completing our restoration as we speak. Bruce Hepner has done a terrific job along with our world class Supt Alex. 2025 will be a very special year as the completely restored course is revealed. It's no longer a hidden gem......

Couldn't agree more. I heard this was underway when I played it earlier this spring - definitely hope to see it in 2025!
Twitter: @will_thrasher_

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back