News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

As the Northeast’s leading golf destination, the lush fairways and pristine greens of Crystal Springs Resort are an undeniable golfers’ paradise. Designed by such notable links luminaries as Robert von Hagge, Robert Trent Jones, and Roger Rulewich, the resort’s six impressive championship-caliber courses wind through the picturesque Appalachian scenery and provide a near-endless array of variety. Beginners and experienced players alike will discover much to love as they navigate pro-worthy grounds such as the crisply modern Cascades, Black Bear, and award-winning, Celtic-links-style Ballyowen — rated the #1 public golf course in the state.

I remember playing Ballyowen about 20 years ago. A very good Links course ...
https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/crystal-springs-ballyowen
Read more:

https://www.crystalgolfresort.com/golf
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Crystal Springs Golf Resort in Sussex County, Northern NJ - 6 courses
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2024, 09:47:30 AM »
Has anyone played Ballyowen?
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2024, 11:49:00 AM »
I played it many years ago when I was writing for golf magazines and they had a media day. I thought it was … ok. It was a cold, windy day, and an older golf writer I was playing with really struggled to reach some fairways and lost a ton of balls. He got so frustrated he didn’t finish the round. It’s designed to sort of look like an Irish links, but it didn’t play that way. Lots of man made mounding. Very little roll in the fairways.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2024, 08:23:01 PM »
Ballyowen, an otherwise decent public option for Northern NJ, is anything other than a Links-style course.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Stewart Abramson

Brett Meyer

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2024, 10:48:14 AM »
Has anyone played Ballyowen?

Probably 15 years ago. I wasn't impressed. It wouldn't crack the top 20 public courses in Michigan.

I actually preferred Wild Turkey because it didn't have as much artificial-looking mounding. But in retrospect, I wish I had played the Von Hagge course because I haven't seen one and while also very artificial, they all seem to have a distinctive look that is probably worth seeing once. A bit like a Jim Engh course; not my style, but worth going out of your way to see one if you haven't.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2024, 01:40:01 PM »
I've always enjoyed playing Ballyowen; not the esasiest play for a higher handicapper, but a good solid test for public golf.

That siad, Wild Turkey & Black Bear are really fun and enjoyable to play, designed toward the "look hard but play more than fair" mantra.

Crystal Springs, the namesake & von hagge design - you can keep. 

Mike Worth

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2024, 04:35:48 PM »
I played one of their courses a few years ago. It was a scramble fundraiser for my nephews ice hockey club.

I’ve looked on the website. I’m not sure which course we played. The quality golf was OK to decent I don’t remember playing any poorly designed holes, but very few holes are stuck in my memory to the point where I think about them from time to time. there was a long downhill par three something like 210 yards where a hole-in-one would have netted you a new car.

Playing there required a riding cart - it was totally unwalkable due to distance from green to next tee, etc. 

It’s a good public option.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back