News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Re: So why do we love Links golf?
« Reply #75 on: Yesterday at 12:05:06 PM »
I thought that linksland only exists in the archipelago of the British Isles and that not all sea-side dunes were links. And that, by definition, anyplace not in the British Isles was necessarily not a links. Is that definition now discredited?

How could that possibly be the case? Linksland is defined by geology, and I'm not aware of anything about the UK that is wholly unique, geologically-speaking.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #76 on: Yesterday at 12:19:21 PM »
I thought that linksland only exists in the archipelago of the British Isles and that not all sea-side dunes were links. And that, by definition, anyplace not in the British Isles was necessarily not a links. Is that definition now discredited?

How could that possibly be the case? Linksland is defined by geology, and I'm not aware of anything about the UK that is wholly unique, geologically-speaking.

I had always thought of linksland as defined by a combination of geology and climate. I'm happy to be proven wrong on this, it's just the definition I've always had in my head from somewhere.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

David Kelly

« Reply #77 on: Yesterday at 12:30:51 PM »
I'm happy to go along with George Peper and Malcolm Campbell's definition of true golf links (246 as of 2010) that they cribbed from the British Golf Museum, "A links is a stretch of land near the coast, on which the game is played, characterized by undulating terrain, often associated with dunes, infertile sandy soil and indigenous grasses as marram, sea lyme, and the fescues and bents which, when properly managed, produce the fine textured tight turf for which links are famed.”
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #78 on: Yesterday at 12:38:16 PM »
I have often wondered why some courses are classified as links and others are not. Linksy Westward Ho! has five holes on very heavy soil, while Fishers Island has several holes on sand, yet it isn't a links.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #79 on: Yesterday at 04:20:43 PM »

I had always thought of linksland as defined by a combination of geology and climate. I'm happy to be proven wrong on this, it's just the definition I've always had in my head from somewhere.

I’ve stayed out of this thread but… I have spent a lot of time studying sand dunes and linksland.

I’m kinda with Charlie.

It is geology, climate and weather conditions that firstly drive the shape and formation of dunes. It is that shape, the seral succession of the dune landscape and the particular vegetations and plants that occur with that succession, that really define what we call “linksland”.

All of those aspects are different in GB&I than in Nor-Cal or Australia or in an arid desert.

Doesn’t mean that you don’t have links golf courses in those places. They are just different to links in GB&I where the duneland is unique in its variety of types, hosting all the principle formations and a wider biodiversity of flora and fauna.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:26:16 PM by Ally Mcintosh »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #80 on: Yesterday at 05:27:05 PM »

Even if that is so, there is no real difference between (for example) the climate of southern England and pmif northern France or the Netherlands, just across the channel. And anyone trying to claim that Le Touquet or Kennemer are not on linksland would be away with the fairies.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back