News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Royal County Down on TV
« on: September 12, 2024, 11:15:16 AM »
The Irish Open is being played at Royal County Down this week and is being broadcast on the Golf Channel in the US. Between the  "texture" of course and the nearby Mountains of Mourne, I am not sure there is a better looking golf broadcast on television.

And it looks pretty good in person too. :)   

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Royal County Down on TV
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2024, 03:45:53 PM »
Watching it reminds me why it is (one of) the best courses I have ever played. It also reminds me to always have a forecaddie. I wonder what it would be like to play it every day?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bernie Bell

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2024, 05:02:27 PM »
Watching it reminds me why it is (one of) the best courses I have ever played. It also reminds me to always have a forecaddie. I wonder what it would be like to play it every day?
Expensive!

Rick Sides

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2024, 05:18:32 PM »
Played it a month ago. Hands down my favorite course. Looks even better in person .

Jeff Schley

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2024, 05:58:23 AM »
Breathtaking scenery certainly, greens are so very good, just too hard for me tee to green. I will leave it for the pros and those who don't spray the ball like myself I suppose.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2024, 06:10:07 AM »
Padraig D is lamenting the lack of any romance in pro golf over on FB:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1049109417221440&id=100063671734866
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2024, 06:53:17 AM »
Expensive!

Presumably if you played it every day you’d be a member. I have no idea what the subs are, but they won’t be high. Anyone paying visitors’ fees every day for more than a week or so is rather crazy  :)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2024, 08:27:44 AM »
I agree that it can be a tough course to play but they are also playing it in pretty tough conditions. There are some tough courses that you can really enjoy even if they beat you up as they are beautiful and they offer you some fun playing options as opposed to just playing it straight on.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2024, 09:49:12 AM »
Expensive!

The last time I played RCD was probably twenty-five years ago. I don't remember the green fee, but I don't remember it being outrageous. Ireland got expensive after that.

Yes, I was thinking of members. I would think the pro shop sells golf balls by the bushel.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2024, 10:21:27 AM »
The Solheim Cup broadcast has limited the amount of air time the Irish Open will get Fri-Sat-Sun. The broadcast schedule is here:

https://www.nbcsports.com/golf/air-times
« Last Edit: September 13, 2024, 10:24:26 AM by David_Tepper »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2024, 12:10:59 PM »
The Solheim Cup broadcast has limited the amount of air time the Irish Open will get Fri-Sat-Sun. The broadcast schedule is here:

David, looking at the TV guide on my cable box, I don't see any broadcast scheduled for Sat & Sun.
St. John of the Cross

Jim Hoak

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2024, 12:13:48 PM »
I have luckily played golf my entire life, and the view from the 9th tee at RCD is still my favorite!!

David_Tepper

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2024, 12:23:51 PM »
Tommy -

Looks like the Sat-Sun broadcast will only be on the NBC Sports app. :(

DT

p.s. You can watch today's golf online here right now:

https://www.nbc.com/watch/dp-world-tour/amgen-irish-open-rd-2/12006887
« Last Edit: September 13, 2024, 12:30:37 PM by David_Tepper »

Bernie Bell

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2024, 02:52:07 PM »
Expensive!

The last time I played RCD was probably twenty-five years ago. I don't remember the green fee, but I don't remember it being outrageous. Ireland got expensive after that.

Yes, I was thinking of members. I would think the pro shop sells golf balls by the bushel.
I think Ardglass would be more fun for me, day in and day out, for a number of reasons. 

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2024, 03:50:38 PM »
Expensive!
I think Ardglass would be more fun for me, day in and day out, for a number of reasons.
RCD’s ‘other course”, the 18-holes Annesley is excellent and shouldn’t be missed.
Atb

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2024, 04:18:52 PM »
Padraig D is lamenting the lack of any romance in pro golf over on FB:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1049109417221440&id=100063671734866
There is no romance!
RCD is epic, the golf even exceeds the views, the more you play it the better it gets and the more possibilities you see.
It could be argued the photos don't do it justice.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Chris Hughes

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2024, 07:17:56 PM »

To my chagrin...  :-\

Cal Seifert

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2024, 09:12:20 AM »
Peacock is airing it. Of course behind the peacock paywall.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2024, 10:02:32 AM »
I have luckily played golf my entire life, and the view from the 9th tee at RCD is still my favorite!!

I think it’s the second shot on 9 where you are looking back into town.

I was standing on the 17th tee when a huge black cloud came over the mountain. I asked my caddie how much time we had before it got to us and he said about 2 minutes. Next thing I know I’ve got my umbrella parallel to the ground trying to block the rain. Fortunately it blew thru as fast as it came but we were soaked.

That was 2013 and I think we paid around $200.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2024, 11:02:06 AM »
Peacock is airing it. Of course behind the peacock paywall.

Thanks. I found it. About a month before the Olympics, Peacock had a special. Something like $25 for six months. Jumped on it.
St. John of the Cross

David_Tepper

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2024, 11:55:55 AM »
You can access the video stream here:

https://www.nbcsports.com/golf

Steve Salmen

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2024, 09:03:07 PM »
What are the reasons RCD has never hosted an Open? It seems to be a better test than Royal Troon and imo, a much more interesting course.

astavrides

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2024, 09:27:02 PM »
5 hrs on golf channel this weekend. (tape delay)

Chris Hughes

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2024, 12:46:20 AM »
What are the reasons RCD has never hosted an Open? It seems to be a better test than Royal Troon and imo, a much more interesting course.

I have a hunch "the troubles" were a factor...

« Last Edit: September 15, 2024, 10:17:29 AM by Chris Hughes »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2024, 02:29:53 AM »

To get Portrush back on the rota there was significant investment by the government; so much that they negotiated a minimum of 3 Opens in a short period of time to justify it. Worked well and I'm in the ballot to return next year.

Newcastle Co Down, is a smaller town (less accommodation) and today has no train line to Belfast.  Doesn't explain why it has never had one though.

This afternoon is a big test for Rory. He talked this week about how the pressure of playing in Ireland has sometimes got to him, the opening hole at Portrush comes to mind.  Generally he's starting to look like a Sunday bottler in the majors. He's played conservative golf all week and it's worked. A victory today would set up next summer's Open. I'd love to see him win both.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2024, 02:44:53 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back