News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

I'm heading to NW England next summer. I hadn't previously thought much about a trip to that area for golf, and the depth of options in the area has really surprised me.

My current thesis: It doesn't seem like there's a singular, can't-miss-or-you'll-regret-it-on-your-deathbed option - which is actually quite freeing since it won't be heartbreaking to miss something. But I'd like to play as many really cool spots as I can. There are about 8 courses I'd like to see, and I'll only be able to make it to 5 or so, and I'd like to prioritize those intelligently.

So, for those who would know... how would you rate the following options? What would you add to the list, or strike from it? Are there if/then decisions about how to prioritize that you'd consider? I'll mostly look to stay in the general Manchester/Southport/Liverpool area but obviously also willing and planning to venture out one or two days - I just want to weigh logistics vs opportunity cost.

• Birkdale
  • Lytham & St Annes
  • Hoylake
  • Wallasey
  • Formby
  • Silloth on Solway
  • Notts / Hollinwell
  • Hillside
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tom_Doak

Re: Prioritizing golf options in NW England and the surrounding area
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2024, 03:46:57 PM »
Hollinwell's a great course, and I'm not discouraging you from going there, but it's a bit out of the way from the others.  If you want something closer, you could go to Delamere Forest.

If you do go to Hollinwell, Cavendish is not far out of the way, and that's a beautiful spot and a different flavor of golf than the rest you've named.

I've never been to Wallasey [a shame], but if there is one course on your list I'd skip, it would be Hillside.

Brian Finn

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2024, 03:50:33 PM »
First, I would add West Lancashire and Southport & Ainsdale to 'strongly consider' list.  Don't rule out Formby Ladies, either. 

Second, I would consider just staying in Southport for the duration, as there are more than enough great courses in the immediate vicinity to fill your schedule.  Hollinwell is about 2 hours away and can easily be built into another itinerary some time in the future. Silloth is even further (2.5+ hours from Southport or Manchester), but perhaps this is as close as you will get.  I do wish I made it up there when I was in the region, but nothing was available for my dates. 

I expect the advice on prioritization will vary significantly, as most of these courses are closely grouped in terms of quality, with personal taste slightly different.  Two that I believe should definitely be included are West Lancs and Formby, as they struck me as somehow unique among the group.  I genuinely enjoyed all of the courses, but would likely put Hillside down the list.  Wallasey may be the most fun, and had the most welcoming membership I have encountered in England. 

This is about as close to a 'can't go wrong' list as I have encountered. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 03:56:05 PM by Brian Finn »
New for '24: Monifieth (Medal & Ashludie), Montrose (1562 & Broomfield), Panmure, Carnoustie (Championship, Burnside, & Buddon), Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop (Red & Black), Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs (South & Bluffs), Kapalua Plantation...

Steve_Roths

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2024, 04:59:14 PM »
Are you flying into Heathrow to start this trip?

If so, Notts could work as Tom D. noted it is out of the way of the others.  You could add in the Sacred 9 and then Notts on the way North.

Mike Worth

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2024, 07:34:25 PM »
I played the first 6 courses on your list within the last two years.

I like Wallasey a lot — so much so that it’s the course I opted to play twice (one time each of the last two years)

Silloth is solid and fun — i’m not sure of your logistics as it’s not close to Liverpool/Southport and there’s no decent lodging anywhere close.

of the 3 Open courses, they are all very good but Birkdale was going through a rough grow in after recent renovations and a wet spring — at least that was the case when I played in June, perhaps it’s grown in a little better now.  but Birkdale has the open next year you may not be able to access it.

I echo the thought that these courses are closely grouped in terms of quality where preferences come down to personal taste. 

Consider adding West Lancs (which I played this year).  I “prefer” it to Formby and Southport Ainsdale.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 07:52:37 PM by Mike Worth »

mike_malone

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2024, 08:23:05 PM »
First, I would add West Lancashire and Southport & Ainsdale to 'strongly consider' list.  Don't rule out Formby Ladies, either. 

Second, I would consider just staying in Southport for the duration, as there are more than enough great courses in the immediate vicinity to fill your schedule.  Hollinwell is about 2 hours away and can easily be built into another itinerary some time in the future. Silloth is even further (2.5+ hours from Southport or Manchester), but perhaps this is as close as you will get.  I do wish I made it up there when I was in the region, but nothing was available for my dates. 

I expect the advice on prioritization will vary significantly, as most of these courses are closely grouped in terms of quality, with personal taste slightly different.  Two that I believe should definitely be included are West Lancs and Formby, as they struck me as somehow unique among the group.  I genuinely enjoyed all of the courses, but would likely put Hillside down the list.  Wallasey may be the most fun, and had the most welcoming membership I have encountered in England. 

This is about as close to a 'can't go wrong' list as I have encountered.

Agree totally with this. I thought staying in Southport was the best location decision I have ever made for a week plus.
AKA Mayday

Richard Fisher

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2024, 04:47:15 AM »
This is a fab listing, and Southport makes sense as a base, even though the town is (sadly) now a shadow of its former self: Lord Street, once one of England's great shopping streets, is a very sorry spot, and The Prince of Wales Hotel, where Hagen used to stay, is in my Bottom Five all-time golf hotels sampled.

Agree with the general golf sense of this thread, with my usual caveat that it ALWAYS takes longer to get anywhere by car in England than US visitors anticipate. S and A and Formby Ladies are vv well worth considering too. Sacred Nine doesn't really work on a journey N W from Heathrow (it is distinctly NE) but Huntercombe might well, and you can pick up the M40/M42 and head north round Birmingham with Little Aston and Beau Desert as distinct en route possibilities.

This trip in 2025 will not be cheap, by historic British standards, and you will also how different are (say) Birkdale and Hoylake as Open destinations and as institutions: the former is a very impressive and professionalised operation, whilst the latter remains unquestionably a club,in my experience of about a dozen visits one of the very best and most congenial clubs in the UK.

Silloth may well be your favourite, in the end! Anyway you can't fail to have a wonderful time.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2024, 06:57:51 AM »
Play Silloth at all costs. It's special.

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2024, 08:57:11 AM »
Jason

I have a bias towards Silloth having previously been a member there for a number of years. It is simply my favourite and one of the best courses I've played.

That said, unless you fancy a wee away day, I'd be tempted to base yourself in Southport as suggested and play the surrounding courses. You can perhaps leave Silloth for a separate trip and maybe tie it in with Seascale and maybe Carlisle ? If you do want to play Silloth on a bit of a road trip then contrary to what Mike says, there is basic/decent accommodation in Silloth and surrounding area, providing you're not looking for 5 star.

I'd also suggest you might want to look at maybe staying in a dormie house for one or two nights. Formby used to do it so does Lytham. A great way to soak up the vibe of the place.

Niall

ps. I also agree that if you're playing Formby, well worth playing Formby Ladies.

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2024, 09:20:14 AM »
I'm heading to NW England next summer. I hadn't previously thought much about a trip to that area for golf, and the depth of options in the area has really surprised me.

My current thesis: It doesn't seem like there's a singular, can't-miss-or-you'll-regret-it-on-your-deathbed option - which is actually quite freeing since it won't be heartbreaking to miss something. But I'd like to play as many really cool spots as I can. There are about 8 courses I'd like to see, and I'll only be able to make it to 5 or so, and I'd like to prioritize those intelligently.

So, for those who would know... how would you rate the following options? What would you add to the list, or strike from it? Are there if/then decisions about how to prioritize that you'd consider? I'll mostly look to stay in the general Manchester/Southport/Liverpool area but obviously also willing and planning to venture out one or two days - I just want to weigh logistics vs opportunity cost.

• Birkdale
  • Lytham & St Annes
  • Hoylake
  • Wallasey
  • Formby
  • Silloth on Solway
  • Notts / Hollinwell
  • Hillside

Jason

It looks like you are big game hunting. With that in mind, I suggest the Open venues are obvious targets. I think Formby is in the same class as the Open venues. I would hold off on Wallasey because major changes are afoot. Silloth is a 5 hour round trip and no better than the other listed courses. Notts is a 5 hour round trip and no better than the listed courses. I would give both a miss for this trip. Hillside has improved quite a bit with recent work, but I would rather play Southport & Ainsdale. So, Lytham, BIrkdale, Hoylake, Formby and S&A.

If your Mrs is staying several days with you you may want to consider staying in Liverpool. Southport isn’t a great place to stay if golf isn’t the main course. It’s still easy to get trains to courses in Liverpool.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 11, 2024, 02:59:24 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jason Thurman

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2024, 11:22:06 AM »

If so, Notts could work as Tom D. noted it is out of the way of the others.  You could add in the Sacred 9 and then Notts on the way North.

This is not a bad idea - I will spend a few days in London with the wife before heading northward, and had envisioned taking the train when I skipped town. But if I did a one-way car hire, it definitely opens the door for a Sacred 9 > Notts > "Greater Southport" swing.

That option probably takes Silloth off the table though, and there's just something about the remoteness and ruggedness of that course that's calling me. And it does seem like the kind of place that will fit better into a NW England itinerary than any other future one - Notts is closer to where I'm ultimately headed, but Notts is closer to a lot of places than Silloth is. But then again, it's not like it's all that far from Glasgow and I've never played in Ayrshire, so maybe there's a future trip to target.

I think the big first decision I have to make is whether I prioritize Hollinwell or Silloth. They're both very intriguing to me, but I think tackling both of them on this trip is probably a little more than I can reasonably bite off.

For the Southport endorsers - aside from its proximity to several excellent courses, what makes it an ideal base? I know next to nothing about the town, and haven't figured out where my home base will be once I get to the Northwest. Eventually the wife and I will meet up in Manchester, but I'm not committed to any specific location until then. I certainly don't mind moving around and logging some drive time along the way, but I'd eventually like to settle into a spot for a few nights where I can ditch the car and hop trains to get from course to course - Southport definitely seems like it would work for that, logistically at least.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Steve_Roths

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2024, 11:43:14 AM »
Last thoughts.

I would do a one day car rental from Heathrow to the North.   I would play the Sacred Nine, Notts and then head up to Liverpool or wherever you are basing yourself.

I would do Siloth and then return the car.

If trying to decide between Notts and Siloth, I would choose Siloth.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2024, 12:19:58 PM »
Jason,
You're sure to have a great trip no matter what courses you choose. I could accuse you of trying to see too much in a short period of time, but that pretty much describes any trip I've made to GB&I. Even though I've been to England 10+  times, of your list I've only played Formby, Silloth, & Notts. I can tell you that every trip that I have planned provides ample temptation to detour. Mildenhall is terrific. Notts is terrific. Huntercombe is terrific. Silloth is terrific.

As you note, Notts & Mildenhall would fit in with a number of other trip possibilities. Silloth really isn't ever going to be close to anything else, but my advice - trust your instincts on that one. I loved the Buda visit there, and it might be worth a side trip just to see the 13th hole. One of the best par 5s I've seen. You won't regret spending a day on a visit there. The town probably isn't one you would base yourself in for a two week holiday, but it's fine for a golf visit. One idea to further mess up your trip planning - you might consider having your wife meet you in Southport instead of Manchester, and then drive up 1.5 hours and spend the night in the Lake District (e.g. Windermere). You could leave her there to explore for a few yours while you drive up to Silloth and back. It's a spectacular area, and food and rooms would be very good.

Agree that dormy accommodation at Formby would be a good option to explore. And Formby Ladies. But seems you need to figure out fewer courses to play - not more!

David Kelly

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2024, 07:15:27 PM »
Every course on your list is well worth playing, multiple times. However, I would add Delamere Forest, West Lanc, and S&A, probably in that order, replacing Hillside, Silloth, and Notts.  That itinerary would give you all of the best of Merseyside and its environs (with the possible exceptions of Hillside, St. Anne's Old, and Formby Ladies) and then you can hit other areas on subsequent trips knowing that you have played virtually everything there is to play in that area of the country. 
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

John Handley

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2024, 09:40:17 PM »
If you are looking at the NW of England, you can spend a whole week there playing excellent golf courses.  Southport is a good place to set up shop or you can stay in Liverpool if you want more action.  The courses to play are:

GOLF Magazine Rankings in England in parenthesis:
Royal Birkdale (3)
Royal Lytham & St Annes (7)
Royal Liverpool (10)
Formby (23)
Hillside (31)
Southport & Ainsdale (30)
West Lancashire
Wallasey
Delamere Forest (44)

I just played Lytham, Hoylake, and Formby two weeks ago.  These are "in demand" courses, especially Birkdale, so you will need to line you tee times up well in advance.

2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Richard Fisher

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2024, 04:19:16 AM »
Just as a final and slightly unhelpful thought, Lytham is a MUCH nicer place to stay nowadays than Southport, especially if you are in domestic company. Lytha, is still a proper small town with lovely brick villas and independent shops, bars, restaurants etc. The further north you head through St Anne's towards Blackpool the less that applies, sadly, but Lytham itself is well worth checking out. Although Lytham is, I fully appreciate, an hour north of Southport.

Niall C

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2024, 04:38:50 AM »
Although Lytham is, I fully appreciate, an hour north of Southport.

but does that not make it an hour closer to Silloth ? Always look for the silver lining !

Niall

Jeff Schley

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2024, 05:55:55 AM »
You will have a great time, regardless and I think you have a very small difference of experience almost regardless of your excellent options.  I was in the NW for a week this June, we had uncharacteristically wonderful weather with no rain, 75-80 everyday, mild winds (except Siloth). We based ourselves in Southport, at the Vincent Hotel which was just fine.

While we enjoyed Siloth, without a forecaddie in that wind it was not enjoyable as we lost way too many balls. We agreed to play lateral that day, but when you know the ball is like less than 10 feet in and can't find it gets frustrating. I wouldn't do the drive again, but glad we experienced an out of the way gem not talked about nearly as much as the others.
The rota courses are all great.  I rank them Lytham, Birkdale, Liverpool. The changes at Birkdale were new and felt that way, needs time for the surface to take root and play like the rest.  I just find Lytham a wonderful mix of shots, with protected holes, wide open holes, short and long (especially into winds). While basing oneself in one place helps for a relaxing trip, I would have liked to stay in the dormy house there one night.
Formby was outstanding and unlike any of the others, with trees on a links. Pleasantly surprised as I didn't expect that so close to the ocean, unique in England even.

Outside of those four or five (depending on adding Siloth) I don't have strong feelings one way or another. You will have a great time, there will be variety and you will get to appreciate that variety on the 3 open venues even as Liverpool is flat and right in front of you, with Birkdale being rugged, Lytham a mix.  Enjoy it you will.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2024, 05:59:59 AM »
If you end up in Liverpool, and you’re a music fan, don’t miss The Beatles Story.

https://www.beatlesstory.com/

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mike Worth

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2024, 07:07:02 AM »
Just as a final and slightly unhelpful thought, Lytham is a MUCH nicer place to stay nowadays than Southport, especially if you are in domestic company. Lytha, is still a proper small town with lovely brick villas and independent shops, bars, restaurants etc. The further north you head through St Anne's towards Blackpool the less that applies, sadly, but Lytham itself is well worth checking out. Although Lytham is, I fully appreciate, an hour north of Southport.

For another perspective, when I made the trip this year, I chose to stay in Liverpool so as to enjoy the convenience and services of a large city vs. staying in the countryside

Staying in Liverpool of course meant driving 30–60 minutes to the course I was playing that day.

Parking the rental car was not terribly expensive and it gave me chances to do things (restaurants, Beatles Museum, other Museums etc.)

John Handley

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2024, 09:19:21 PM »
If you want convenience and are into the Beatles, stay at Hard Days Night Hotel.  Obviously Beatles themed, reasonably priced and absolutely in the middle of everything.  We stayed there two nights playing Formby and Hoylake.  Walked two blocks to every restaurant, bar, Cavern Club, etc.

2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Mark Pearce

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2024, 11:39:34 AM »
It had never occurred to me that anyone could think that the Sacred 9 was a sensible detour on a trip from Heathrow to the North West.  That makes the drive to Silloth look like popping round the corner.  But if you are arriving at Heathrow and want to do Notts, then that would put Alwoodley in play. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Richard Fisher

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2024, 12:02:08 PM »
100% agreement Mark: it seems bit bonkers to me too. If you were heading to Norfolk or up the East Coast, maybe, but not to the NW! And from Manchester Airport makes no sense at all…
Liverpool, despite massive WW2 bombing, is still a great city with more Georgian buildings than Bath. Fascinating place to explore.

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2024, 03:04:42 AM »

This is not a bad idea - I will spend a few days in London with the wife before heading northward, and had envisioned taking the train when I skipped town. But if I did a one-way car hire, it definitely opens the door for a Sacred 9 > Notts > "Greater Southport" swing.

That option probably takes Silloth off the table though, and there's just something about the remoteness and ruggedness of that course that's calling me. And it does seem like the kind of place that will fit better into a NW England itinerary than any other future one - Notts is closer to where I'm ultimately headed, but Notts is closer to a lot of places than Silloth is. But then again, it's not like it's all that far from Glasgow and I've never played in Ayrshire, so maybe there's a future trip to target.

I think the big first decision I have to make is whether I prioritize Hollinwell or Silloth. They're both very intriguing to me, but I think tackling both of them on this trip is probably a little more than I can reasonably bite off.

For the Southport endorsers - aside from its proximity to several excellent courses, what makes it an ideal base? I know next to nothing about the town, and haven't figured out where my home base will be once I get to the Northwest. Eventually the wife and I will meet up in Manchester, but I'm not committed to any specific location until then. I certainly don't mind moving around and logging some drive time along the way, but I'd eventually like to settle into a spot for a few nights where I can ditch the car and hop trains to get from course to course - Southport definitely seems like it would work for that, logistically at least.

If Silloth is a must play I suggest you spend the night and play it twice. I guess that might mean the main section of the trip should be reduced. In which case I would drop Hoylake and Lytham. S&A, Birkdale and Formby (and Hillside) can easily be accessed by train from Liverpool or Southport. Formby is a no brainier…a few minute walk to the course.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 15, 2024, 03:23:57 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2024, 08:52:11 AM »
Stay inear Siloth, in the Formby Dormy and in the centre of Liverpool. It has more listed buildings than any city in UK, bar London.
Walking the streets is an education: a georgian building, then a victorian building and next a post war brutalist WW11 bomb site infill.
Much better food avaible than in the smaller towns to its North.

Museums around the Docks well worth a visit.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back