News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will Thrasher

Your top "underrated"
« on: Yesterday at 09:18:26 PM »
I know this topic has been discussed previously, but I always enjoy hearing about places folks have played that may not be in the Top 100 but hold a special place in your personal rankings.

For me, three come to mind:

• Blue Mound - hard to find many places where the architect has done more with less. Just pure fun, playable, and masterful Raynor on an otherwise rather bland piece of property.
  • Brookside (Canton, OH) - Had the pleasure of playing this summer, so maybe some recency bias here. I was floored by the green complexes and incredible elevation changes. The property could use some more tree removal, but I wouldn't get tired of playing this place on a regular basis.
  • Culver Academy - if this place had a locker room with good shower pressure (or whatever else helps rankings) and 9 even mediocre holes, I firmly believe this would be a top 100 contender. I've been lucky enough to play here quite a few times as it's less than an hour from me and absolutely love it every time. The super (Mike Vessley) does an oustanding job and posts incredible pictures on Twitter and Instagram as well.
Twitter: @will_thrasher_

Daryl David

Re: Your top "underrated"
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 09:40:53 PM »
+1000 on Blue Mound.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 10:12:29 PM »
Culver is pretty amazing and with the continued work on green expansions that is only going to make an outstanding course even better.  Kudos to Mike Vessley for the great work there.

An easy choice for underrated would be Naruo in Japan but the one course that I enjoy more than most is St. Germain in Paris.  It's Colt at his creative best making outstanding golf holes with a thoughtful routing and clever greens on a very ordinary piece of property.  His bunker designs there should be studied merely for the way they make flat land look appear appealing. 

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 10:51:50 PM »
Leatherstocking gets a vote from me, though maybe I was overly influenced by the overall feel of the town and area. I wanted to stay for a month. And really did enjoy the golf course a great deal. The short downhill par 3 on the back - number 12 maybe? - in particular.

Phil Young

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 11:12:29 PM »
 Sands Point Golf Club

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:09:51 AM »
Northland Country Club - Duluth, MN

Chris Hughes

« Reply #6 on: Today at 02:47:22 AM »
Westhampton CC. 

Raynor's first solo effort. 

Finest set of par 3's I've seen. 

Impeccable restoration which mostly hinged on tree removable.

One of my favorite courses anywhere...

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #7 on: Today at 03:23:35 AM »
I feel like I always have to say Gleneagles SF, not because it's the best course, but because it's so poorly rated, hated and mocked, that when golf course architecture fans actually play it, they are almost always very impressed by the scruffy course built on the side of a mountain.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back