News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Mike Bennett on Zanesville CC
« on: September 09, 2024, 12:01:13 PM »
Feature Interview with Mike Bennett - Golf Club Atlas

One of the neat things about golf is what a course can mean to a community and how it can engender civic pride. Ron Montesano recently pointed out just such a story to me. The course in question is Zanesville CC. Located in central Ohio, and you can guess the town😉, this Golden Age course has an interesting twist to its history. Like many courses, it started off as a nine-holer before ultimately moving to its current, expansive site that was well suited for 18 holes.  And who better to call in the 1930s than Donald Ross?

Out went Walter Hatch, one of Ross’s lieutenants and he presented a preliminary routing. The club voted on it and approved it in May, 1931. No reason to argue with the Maestro, right? All very straightforward. Yet, a few weeks later, it was announced that Chick Evans would build the course.  Say what?! This turn of events is certainly perplexing and ultimately, member Michael Bennett decided to investigate and even wrote an excellent book on all his findings. I will let him take up the narrative.

“So, the logical question is why switch from the preeminent Golden Age Golf Course Architect to someone with few courses to his credit and coming off a project where he had to partner with a more experienced architect?  We don’t know the answer for certain but my guess is that since Evans visited Zanesville, and since Ross sent his employee rather than visit himself, combined with the celebrity of Evans as a former U.S. Amateur and U.S. Open Champion (in fact, Evans was the first of only two men to win the U.S. Amateur and U.S. Open in the same year), these considerations may have impressed the club leadership to make the switch. “

What a plot twist! Evans’ design portfolio is less than 2% of Ross’s, yet the course opened to rave reviews as Mike outlines in his Feature Interview and book. I have never been but since Evans’ work is scant, I am even more keen to go than if it was Ross’s. That may seem like perverse logic, but seeing something different is always most interesting, at least to me.

Have a read of Mike’s Feature Interview and consider buying his book: https://www.zanesvillecc.com/Default.aspx?p=dynamicmodule&pageid=82&ssid=100095&vnf=1. Indeed, the profits from the book (which might reach $30,000) will be ploughed back into the course.

You have to appreciate a member like Mike who rolls up his sleeves and starts down a pathway of spending hundreds of hours in order to gain clarity on the true origins of his home course. The club and course will benefit from all his work for generations to come. Job well done.

Best, 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 12:03:33 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Will Thrasher

Re: Feature Interview with Mike Bennett on Zanesville CC
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2024, 01:16:18 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyed this. There is certainly something extra special about great architecture in smaller communities. Look forward to reading Mike's book.
Twitter: @will_thrasher_

Ronald Montesano

Re: Feature Interview with Mike Bennett on Zanesville CC
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2024, 10:21:24 PM »
I will say that, despite my countless submissions to GolfWRX and BuffaloGolfer.Com (in addition to other publication) I am not the writer that Mike Bennett is. I had a wonderful round of golf with Mike at Zanesville. Lynch and Hoxie were along for the journey as well.

Mike Bennett is transparent when it comes to his course. He sees the warts and he sees the beauty. What I loved most about it, was the closing par three. It reminded me of Pasatiempo. I loved the drive on number two, and much more. There were other moments when I said out loud Couldn't Chick have done more with this?

Is Zanesville worth a trip for itself alone? Nah. Should it be included in a central Ohio sojourn? Absolutely. If you like connections, Justin Thomas' grandfather was head pro for many decades.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back