News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

Cabot Lofoten Links
« on: September 09, 2024, 11:15:28 AM »
Not much to add here. 

Charlie Goerges

Re: Cabot Lofoten Links
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2024, 11:17:39 AM »
Not much to add here.

Maybe add a little more. Did Cabot buy Lofoten Links?
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2024, 11:21:32 AM »
https://golf.com/travel/cabot-lofoten-links-arctic-circle-world-top-100/

"On Monday, Cabot announced a “strategic investment” in Lofoten Links, a move that Cowan-Dewar says “effortlessly aligns with our vision of delivering world-class golf and experiences across the globe’s most remarkable destinations.” Without specifying its scope, Cowan-Dewar describes the investment as “meaningful” and says that he expects it to grow over time. For now, he says, the financial injection will focus on “stuff on the margins of what is already a spectacular destination” whose existing amenities include Nordic-style lodges and an on-site restaurant."

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2024, 11:22:50 AM »
Not much to add here.

Maybe add a little more. Did Cabot buy Lofoten Links?

It looks like they did. This does not make me very happy. It will price out the locals, but I am sure Cabot will upgrade everything and build another course.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Daryl David

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2024, 11:24:45 AM »
Could there be more golf in the works at Lofoten? Mike Keiser, the founder of Bandon Dunes Golf Resort and an early investor in Cabot, has said many times about the number of courses available that one plus one equals three when it comes to developing a far-off golf destination.
[/color]“To get to that formula, first you need one course, and Lofoten has a great one,” Cowan-Dewar said. “That’s always the hardest part. I think there is a potential for more golf, and I think that’s one of the things we’ll certainly look at. I think there is an opportunity. We really just want to see the first course reach its whole potential and then be able to go from there.[/size]

Ben Sims

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2024, 11:59:15 AM »
Cabot: Nova Scotia, Florida, St Lucia, France, British Columbia, Scotland, Norway.
Dream Golf: Oregon, Florida, Wisconsin, Colorado, Texas

Goodness, that’s quite a collection between two companies off the top of my head. I may have missed something.

I used to think the Epic/Ikon comparisons were silly. I still sort of do. But at some point the principles and their finance folks will at least have to explore the possibility of offering some sort of “membership” to their properties, right?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2024, 03:11:00 PM »
Glad to see this.  Lofoten needed the outside support, and Cabot’s involvement will help make it better known.

I hope they get to their second course while I’m still around to do it  ;)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2024, 05:18:21 PM »
Glad to see this.  Lofoten needed the outside support, and Cabot’s involvement will help make it better known.

I hope they get to their second course while I’m still around to do it  ;)

I don't foresee many Americans making the trip. It isn't easy to access. When I was there two years ago, most folks were either Brits or Norwegians. The conditioning is not very good. After all, it is 80 miles inside the Arctic Circle. The weather can be frightful, so Brits and Norwegians wouldn't mind. There is an old Norwegian saying, though, "There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing." But it is on a magical archipelago with some of the most magnificent scenery in the world.

If you design the second course, you should take a Norwegian/American with you. I'll check my calendar and see if I'm available.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 05:20:20 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2024, 05:29:09 PM »

I don't foresee many Americans making the trip. It isn't easy to access. When I was there two years ago, most folks were either Brits or Norwegians. The conditioning is not very good. After all, it is 80 miles inside the Arctic Circle. The weather can be frightful, so Brits and Norwegians wouldn't mind. There is an old Norwegian saying, though, "There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing." But it is on a magical archipelago with some of the most magnificent scenery in the world.

Tommy:

I agree with you that it's hard to get to; there is talk of a new airport that would make it easier, but honestly there is no golf course outside of North America that is a financial success based primarily on American visitors.  Inter-continental play will get you maybe 5000 rounds at most.  So I assume they will be aiming primarily toward the European market.

But as you say, it's a magnificently beautiful place and I don't know anyone who's gone there who wasn't happy they made the trip, even if the present golf course is too narrow.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2024, 06:07:40 PM »
I’m playing the course tomorrow!
Alas only on a Trackman simulator!
:) :) :)
Atb

Mike Worth

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2024, 07:49:03 PM »
I echo Tommy’s sentiments.

I’d like to add to the observation about conditioning. It was my understanding. the primary issue was 23 hours of sunlight for several months a year meaning that grass grew the entire time there was sunlight.

when I played, it felt like the permafrost under the tundra had melted — it a little bit squishy  Not badly so but definitely noticeable.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 07:50:44 PM by Mike Worth »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2024, 09:12:41 AM »

when I played, it felt like the permafrost under the tundra had melted — it a little bit squishy  Not badly so but definitely noticeable.

I don’t know much of anything about permafrost or tundra - maybe I’d better learn? - but several holes at Lofoten were built by filling over peat bogs with sand.  That must be a somewhat dynamic situation through the four seasons.

Mike Worth

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2024, 11:06:55 AM »

I don’t know much of anything about permafrost or tundra - maybe I’d better learn? - but several holes at Lofoten were built by filling over peat bogs with sand.  That must be a somewhat dynamic situation through the four seasons.

what you describe about sand over bogs could describe the feeling I felt under my feet as I walked.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2024, 11:26:58 AM »
The Gulf Stream helps moderate the climate. I bought clothing that would make Edward Parry proud. I didn't need them. We were there at the end of June for a week. The temperatures were in the 60s. We teed off about 5pm and were in shirt sleeves. The fairways were fine, but the greens were a bit bumpy and slow. My biggest criticism of the course was its narrowness.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2024, 11:31:06 AM by Tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

Daryl David

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2024, 08:20:12 PM »
The narrowness is certainly an issue. On my third round I decided to play the forward tees and hit nothing longer than a 5 hybrid. I had a ball. Once you hit the fairways the surrounds and greens become the challenge and they are excellent. Not sure how they can widen things, but maybe with the Cabot money infusion they can give it a shot. Hope so. It’s a special place.

Niall C

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2024, 03:14:23 AM »
How narrow is it ? In terms of fairways, are they an average 20 yards wide, 30 yards perhaps, and what about the rough ? Do you have any semi-rough ? Presumably beyond that it is un[playable lost ball country ? Interested to know what makes it narrow ?

Niall

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2024, 03:20:23 AM »
How narrow is it ? In terms of fairways, are they an average 20 yards wide, 30 yards perhaps, and what about the rough ? Do you have any semi-rough ? Presumably beyond that it is un[playable lost ball country ? Interested to know what makes it narrow ?

Niall

I had Lofoten earmarked for future play and the trip was Covidized. I saw the NLU video and changed my mind. It looked seriously harsh. I will wait and see if the course improves.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2024, 03:20:34 AM »

Niall

Mostly rock. The first hole is quite narrow because on the left is the Arctic Ocean and on the right is a Viking grave.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Phil Burr

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2024, 03:31:06 AM »
I’ve never been there but I wonder if Lofoten gets bonus points because it’s located north of the Arctic Circle.  I haven’t read anything in this post, nor anywhere else among reputable GCA circles, that make it sound like a place I’d go out of my way to find strictly based on architectural merit.  Is it really a top 100 world course?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2024, 03:38:14 AM »
I’ve never been there but I wonder if Lofoten gets bonus points because it’s located north of the Arctic Circle.  I haven’t read anything in this post, nor anywhere else among reputable GCA circles, that make it sound like a place I’d go out of my way to find strictly based on architectural merit.  Is it really a top 100 world course?

I haven’t been there, but I wonder if Cypress Point gets bonus points because it is located next to the Pacific Ocean. We do not play golf with blinkers on. Location, and off-course views, matter.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2024, 03:49:24 AM »

To me, the fairways are decent width, but the problem is then there is medium rough about 3-5 yds wide on both sides...and then there is nothing but rocks and weeds...and the weeds provide a "cover" about 8-10" off the ground.  It is literally impossible to find a ball once it gets under this "cover".  So the key to playing it is to never hit anything off a tee that has any chance of being wide of the fairway.

My guess is that most people on GCA are not fans of Doral and other FL courses with water lining both sides of most fairways.  Well. IMO this is tons harder...the situation is in essence the same (since you cannot find a ball under that cover unless you step on it), so this is Lost Ball time (stroke and distance...in essence 2 strokes), while "Doral" is in essence 1 stroke.

The scenery is simply fabulous but my issue w the place if this "cover" that is <5 yards from the fairway edge.   I would guess it is fairly fixable but will take $$$.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2024, 03:54:08 AM by Paul Rudovsky »

Jeff Schley

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2024, 06:32:07 AM »
From an investment standpoint the numbers for future revenues discounted back to the NPV, must work. Certainly they are projections, but what they have in store will only be a positive and enhance the location as a draw for visitors. I recall Tromso was very much a hidden place to visit for the Northern Lights, until some UK travel shows highlighted it and it took off.  Lofoten Links could be relying on when their additions are in place (assume there will be), it will attract alot of attention. I think the daylight is a huge plus for course utilization potentially during the playing months.  Excited to see hwat happens.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back