News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Is this a good feature to start the green side bunker well before the green versus at the green? Is there a particular architectural style associated with this?
 I tend to like it but wonder what the crew thinks.

( Mark, don’t tell me it’s all about variety  ;D  )
AKA Mayday

Joe Bausch

Re: Green side bunkers that start significantly before the green. Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2024, 05:38:09 PM »
Not long ago I played Maple Dale in Delaware and the 6th hole had this feature and I liked it!

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/MapleDale/pages/page_32.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2024, 05:42:16 PM »
This makes me immediately think of the older, bump-and-run style of play, and presenting a forced carry that allows a run-up, rather than forcing folks using a mid-mashie to lay up and pitch on.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2024, 05:45:17 PM »
Prevailing vrs occasional wind direction is an influence.
With older courses so are the clubs of the era the course was built in and the likely lower than today trajectory of approach shots with such clubs. And back in a time before rangefinders ‘dead ground’ was used as a design feature.

Atb
« Last Edit: September 07, 2024, 06:27:34 AM by Thomas Dai »

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2024, 07:18:10 PM »
Not long ago I played Maple Dale in Delaware and the 6th hole had this feature and I liked it!

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/MapleDale/pages/page_32.html
Joe,
Seems to be a good idea on a relatively flat course to create more interest.
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2024, 07:29:04 PM »
John Mayhugh sent me his impressions of Rolling Green and mentioned that he thought the Flynn idea of bunkers starting before the green then continuing to the middle of the green was different from what he experienced from Ross who stopped before the green sometimes so you could miss the green but be over the bunker. It’s an interesting difference. I think his observation is spot on.
AKA Mayday

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2024, 07:41:22 PM »
Seems like you'd leave less-skilled players with a lot of 40 or 50 yard bunker shots, yeah?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2024, 07:49:00 PM »
Seems like you'd leave less-skilled players with a lot of 40 or 50 yard bunker shots, yeah?

If you use the feature in the wrong sorts of holes, yes.

I prefer to use it on a drivable par-4 or short par-5, where it punishes the player who shouldn’t have gone for the green.  On a short par-3 it’s just window dressing, and on a 400-yard par-4 it is a slap in the face to greens fee payers.

mike_malone

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2024, 07:51:31 PM »

That’s true. Our fifth hole at Rolling Green had the right green side bunker recovered a few years ago to 35 yards from the green to start running up to the green’s edge. It’s a tough shot.
AKA Mayday

Ian_L

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2024, 11:25:33 PM »

I prefer to use it on a drivable par-4 or short par-5, where it punishes the player who shouldn’t have gone for the green.

Like that pesky right bunker at Pacific Dunes #6! I have fanned a couple in there. I just splash out short of the green and try to get up and down with a putter.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2024, 12:07:28 AM »
Very common at Old Works...I find that these bunkers might be very wet close the green and much drier further from the green...and sometimes vice-versa.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2024, 03:32:28 AM »
I assume that in at least some cases the green has shrunk leaving an extended bunker. In any case, I like it, but I like features well short of the green.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Quinn Thompson

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2024, 05:55:09 AM »
…had a good point; then I didn’t !

« Last Edit: September 07, 2024, 05:58:46 AM by Quinn Thompson »

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2024, 07:41:27 AM »

I prefer to use it on a drivable par-4 or short par-5, where it punishes the player who shouldn’t have gone for the green.  On a short par-3 it’s just window dressing, and on a 400-yard par-4 it is a slap in the face to greens fee payers.

Then how do you justify the bunker 40ish yards short of the green on the 440 yard 4th at Bel Air? Unlike the bunker 40 yards short of the green on the long 5th at Merion, which protects against a weak shot bouncing onto the green, the bunker at Bel Air primarily punishes the weak golfer who probably can’t reach the green in regulation.
   If the answer is because that’s where it was 100 years ago, that’s not really much of an answer. 100 years ago, good players were hitting long irons or fairway woods into the green.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2024, 09:41:38 AM by Jim_Coleman »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2024, 10:04:45 AM »

Then how do you justify the bunker 40ish yards short of the green on the 440 yard 4th at Bel Air? Unlike the bunker 40 yards short of the green on the long 5th at Merion, which protects against a weak shot bouncing onto the green, the bunker at Bel Air primarily punishes the weak golfer who probably can’t reach the green in regulation.
   If the answer is because that’s where it was 100 years ago, that’s not really much of an answer. 100 years ago, good players were hitting long irons or fairway woods into the green.

Jim:

That's George Thomas's bunker and I don't have to "justify" it to anyone, including you.  What it asks is that if you're not sure you can get to the green -- whether you are a 15-handicap or a 5-handicap who's driven into the rough -- you should play safely away from the bunker.

I have the sneaking suspicion you went in that bunker yourself and were embarrassed.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2024, 10:48:30 AM »
I have always liked bunkers that are short of the green but look closer to it because they make the distance deceptive. Ross seems to have done it frequently.

But now it strikes me that the advent of range finders undermine the tactic. I do not use a GPS or range finder.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2024, 02:32:23 PM »
Tom:  Trust me, I have been embarrassed on far less challenging situations.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2024, 04:06:45 PM by Jim_Coleman »

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2024, 02:58:18 PM »
I have always liked bunkers that are short of the green but look closer to it because they make the distance deceptive.

#1 at Olympic is a good example of that.  More recent to me, #3 at Orinda is another.  200+ downhill par 3 with a bunker on the left that appears from the tee to be close to the green, but it is roughly 25-30 yds short.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Mark_Fine

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2024, 07:28:11 PM »
Mike,
I won’t talk about variety  ;D but everything in moderation.

I like using bunkers that extend well short of the fill pad.  As pointed out they can create depth perception issues making the green appear closer than it really is as bunker size and location plays a key role in this.

I don’t think there is a particular style associated with the use of bunkers like this.  Many architects employ/ed this concept.  Tons of examples.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2024, 08:13:52 AM by Mark_Fine »

mike_beene

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2024, 10:10:55 PM »
I have seen it used well on a longer hole with tight out of bounds. The shorter hitter is hitting a wood in and a little hook leaves a 40 yard bunker shot instead of the ball rolling OB. See number 9 at my home course which a few of you have seen.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2024, 01:13:26 PM »
When judiciously used, I think the kinds of bunkers at issue here can perform a function that I think is one of the most important a compelling golf course can do: to teach players to play the game more intelligently. In the case of the bunker at Bel Air, it sounds like it is an effective deterrent against greedy shots from out of position.

Reckless smash-and-grab golf should be punished, even (and perhaps especially) from higher handicappers when there is a sensible alternative. I reckon that most 50-yard bunker shots are avoidable strategy failures (and chances for a lifetime-memory recovery shot). The key would seem to be not to belabor this point throughout an entire golf course, I guess.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2024, 02:39:47 PM »
I for one, think it's stupid. The average golfer can't handle it and even the better player has major trouble.

We have one at my home course and I went there a couple of times very late in the afternoon to figure out how to play the 40 yard shot and the 20 yard shot, I came away better for that drill, using a wedge, or 9 iron sand shot to come out lower and having it run out.

But I'll bet that 90% or more of the players on this board never did that and that shot is very troubling.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom_Doak

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2024, 02:56:01 PM »
I for one, think it's stupid. The average golfer can't handle it and even the better player has major trouble.

But that’s exactly the reason to have bunkers in such positions, Cary.  Because they will punish even the good players who miss there, and should cause everyone to be more careful to avoid them.

mike_malone

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2024, 03:11:16 PM »
In most cases these are 15 yards or less from the front of the green. It does create a slightly longer bunker shot. You can’t just pop out the shot. You need to hit it with distance control.
AKA Mayday

Mark_Fine

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2024, 06:22:01 AM »
My goodness, greenside bunkers that start well before the green whether in front or on the sides might just be the most common feature used by ALL architects. Google the iconic 13th hole at Harbour Town by Pete Dye, there are too many holes with this feature to count at Oakmont and Cypress Point, and at Pine Valley the feature is everywhere.  I am not sure I could name a course that doesn’t have one.

Actually, yes I could - Royal Ashdown Forest. The course doesn’t have any bunkers  :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2024, 02:46:40 PM by Mark_Fine »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back