News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Wolfert’s Roost CC
« on: September 05, 2024, 08:44:27 AM »
Any opinions on Wolfert’s Roost in Albany, NY? What I found in the search function is at least ten years old. Thanks!

John Blain

Re: Wolfert’s Roost CC
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2024, 10:50:31 AM »
Any opinions on Wolfert’s Roost in Albany, NY? What I found in the search function is at least ten years old. Thanks!
Hi Tim-
I actually grew up playing there so I have logged a few rounds at "The Roost."  I would describe it as fun course as opposed to a real championship test. There are two par 5's which back in the day were not reachable in two shots but likely are today for the big hitters and 4 par 3's that are all strong holes. It's a par 70 and plays about 6200 from the BACK tee.
The club likes to publicize that the course was designed by Tillinghast but there is little evidence that was actually the case.
The greens are small with a lot of movement.
Back in the day before the changes in the equipment it was actually a tough little course, but the big hitters now are hitting short irons into just about every par 4.
It was always a well-respected club not far from downtown Albany and the state capital buildings and was known as a club that had a lot of good players.
Tom Doak reviewed it in his Confidential Guide and gave it a 4 which in my opinion is pretty accurate.

Phil Young

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2024, 12:10:29 PM »
John, in 1921 Tilly redesigned the original nine hole course and also designed a new second nine. Enail me at philwritesbooks@aol.com and I'll send you some information on it.

John Blain

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2024, 12:33:07 PM »
John, in 1921 Tilly redesigned the original nine hole course and also designed a new second nine. Enail me at philwritesbooks@aol.com and I'll send you some information on it.
Thanks, Phil. I just sent you a PM.

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2024, 04:39:35 PM »
Hi Tim-
I actually grew up playing there so I have logged a few rounds at "The Roost."  I would describe it as fun course as opposed to a real championship test. There are two par 5's which back in the day were not reachable in two shots but likely are today for the big hitters and 4 par 3's that are all strong holes. It's a par 70 and plays about 6200 from the BACK tee.
The club likes to publicize that the course was designed by Tillinghast but there is little evidence that was actually the case.
The greens are small with a lot of movement.
Back in the day before the changes in the equipment it was actually a tough little course, but the big hitters now are hitting short irons into just about every par 4.
It was always a well-respected club not far from downtown Albany and the state capital buildings and was known as a club that had a lot of good players.
Tom Doak reviewed it in his Confidential Guide and gave it a 4 which in my opinion is pretty accurate.

Thanks John!

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2024, 08:41:16 AM »
Tim,

I have never played Wolfert’s Roost, but I have come across some information while researching Charles Banks. Wolfert's Roost considered moving their course in 1927.  In 1927, Charles Banks, Emmet & Emmet and William Tucker & Son inspected several potential properties that the club considered moving to.  By 1930, the club had scrapped plans to move and it was reported that Len Rayner was remodeling the existing course.  Len Rayner’s obituary also lists Wolfert’s Roost as one of his designs.

Bret

Phil Young

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2024, 11:07:33 AM »
Bret, the story behind the club considering the move is tragic, interesting and humorous. In 1926, the clubhouse burnt to the ground. This made the club consider moving. Per Wolfert Roost's club history book published in 2015, "The Albany Evening News on January  28, 1927, two members of the Board, William A. Humphrey and Winslow M. Mead, were tasked with making arrangements to "secure an option on which to build a new clubhouse and golf course."
      The article stated, "One day last week it was suggested to them that a certain farm on the outskirts had admirable natural advantages. Donning mufflers, mittens and rubber boots, they set out to procure an option on the place." After examining the site they came to an agreement with the owner, “whereby an option was offered on payment of $50.”
      They were quite pleased with themselves until they reported back to “the committee that they had been successful in their mission” where upon they were “met by jokes and laughter.” They had gone to the wrong farm…
      Maybe it was the good laugh at themselves or some other reason, but a short time after this the Club decided to remain and build a new, modern clubhouse using the foundations of the mansion [the mansion was the home named “Wolferts Roost” and so reason the club used that for its name].In that sense the true Roost will always be the foundation of the Club.”       
      Once again, per the club history book, “1931 found the Club in a fortunate situation. Its financial condition now relatively stable, so much so that when a good opportunity presented itself that they were to take advantage of it. An ability to purchase a tract of 41.5 acres adjacent to the Club’s property at a very low price came its way. It was so inexpensive that purchasing it allowed them to solve what some members viewed as a probllem with the Tillinghast course.
      “Although it was considered challenging even for good players, it was felt that the course was not as good as it could be due to the limited acreage on which it was routed. This new property would enable the Club to design a new course that would meet the increasing challenges being presented by advancements in equipment technology such as better golf balls and steel shafts which were quickly replacing the hickories of old.
      “And so, that spring the the Club hisred leonard Rainer of Cooperstown to design the new course. Today Rainer is only remembered for this single golf course design. He may have been a professiona in that region who had done some design work locally, but nothing else is known about him now. But his legacy is till enjoyed at the Roost today.
      “In creating the redesigned course and incorporating it into the new property, most of what Tillinghast designed was lost as the course was re-routed and every hole substantially changed or relocated entirely. Rainer was assisted in laying out the new course by Louis Godfrey, the course Superintendent. John Epsey, who began working at WR in 1928 and would serve as Superintendent later on durin his 50 years at the Roost, supervised the construction of the course.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back