News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Fitz

Outsider - Naples
« on: September 04, 2024, 11:02:20 PM »
Anyone have any info on this new course being built out near Hideout?  Looks like Fry/Strakka was originally attached to the project, but that may no longer be the case.

Lots of golf in Naples but most of it seems full (waitlist) at the moment. With this and Kinsale, perhaps the supply/demand curve will move closer to balance?

Ryan Book

Re: Outsider - Naples
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2024, 11:11:08 AM »
I made a note of this one back in April and quickly got feedback that the club had cold feet on Straka/Fry. Based on the updated text of this Forbes article, that is correct. I had heard at the time it was the club who might be seeking a bigger name...but this article now frames it as if Straka/Fry pulled out.

The Outsider: Denied Entry At Florida Golf Club, Tech Exec Plans To Build His Own Next Door (forbes.com)

"Cops are an abomination." - C.B. Macdonald and/or Jello Biafra

@BethpageBlackMetal

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2024, 12:19:56 PM »
So this will be a spite golf club.  See Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 10 Episode 10.

I bet that there were previous instances where someone couldn't get into a club, said FU and built their own club.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2024, 12:41:21 PM »
I am told that this project is dead. Could always be wrong, but that's what I have been told.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2024, 03:44:03 PM »
So this will be a spite golf club.  See Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 10 Episode 10.

I bet that there were previous instances where someone couldn't get into a club, said FU and built their own club.

That's supposedly why Sage Valley was built -- developer couldn't get into Augusta National.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2024, 04:22:59 PM »

That's supposedly why Sage Valley was built -- developer couldn't get into Augusta National.

There are lots of instances of this, including quite a few famous courses.

I wonder how many Augusta members call themselves “developers” ??

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2024, 04:38:55 PM »

Wayne-This topic is probably worthy of its own thread. I can think of a couple of examples in my home state of Connecticut.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2024, 04:47:40 PM »

There are lots of instances of this, including quite a few famous courses.

I wonder how many Augusta members call themselves “developers” ??

Weldon Wyatt, developer of Sage Valley, made his fortune as the nation’s leading developer of Walmart stores.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Rob Marshall

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2024, 04:52:49 PM »
Anyone have any info on this new course being built out near Hideout?  Looks like Fry/Strakka was originally attached to the project, but that may no longer be the case.

Lots of golf in Naples but most of it seems full (waitlist) at the moment. With this and Kinsale, perhaps the supply/demand curve will move closer to balance?

All full. Waitlist everywhere in Naples and fees have skyrocketed.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2024, 08:12:05 PM »
The Outsider: Denied Entry At Florida Golf Club, Tech Exec Plans To Build His Own Next Door (forbes.com)

Ha, the guy asked about $$$ at his membership interview and wondered why he got blackballed?  Sometimes if asked if you have any questions, the best answer is basically a form of "no".

Do your due diligence on the economics before your interview with the membership committee.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

DFarron

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2024, 09:30:11 PM »
Wow nothing says “grow the game “ like a $750 initiation fee.

No wonder golf has a bad rap

Daryl David

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2024, 10:12:59 PM »
Wow nothing says “grow the game “ like a $750 initiation fee.

No wonder golf has a bad rap

$750 sounds good. Oh, you mean $750K?  Ouch.

Not to be a dick, but I always wondered why we need to grow the game. For the manufacturers?  For the developers?  How about we freeze the game for the golfers. Stays the same. No new golfers and when one leaves the game, a new one comes in. Sounds pretty good to me as a player. I get how that would not sound good to someone that makes equipment or is developing courses. But there are two sides to the debate. Just saying.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2024, 10:43:57 AM »
Not to be a dick, but I always wondered why we need to grow the game. For the manufacturers?  For the developers?  How about we freeze the game for the golfers. Stays the same. No new golfers and when one leaves the game, a new one comes in. Sounds pretty good to me as a player. I get how that would not sound good to someone that makes equipment or is developing courses. But there are two sides to the debate. Just saying.

I do kind of understand this on first blush, but I think a mostly-stagnant game would get old pretty fast. Just the ability to meet new people coming in (or coming back later in life) is part of the fun. Additionally, I feel like this kind of freeze would disproportionately hurt lower-cost facilities the most (but I could be wrong). Not to mention that one-out/one-in would probably leave a lot of people who'd like to play left out.

That said, the ouroboros that is the equipment industry is getting tiresome. I don't feel like their version of growing the game is the same as what mine is and I totally get it. But they aren't the only ones helped by a growing game.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2024, 11:29:56 AM »
The current wait list at Calusa Pines (Ive heard from a "good source") is currently 512.
Kinsale already full and jacked intro fee from $250-$400K.

If you did not "get into FL" before 2021, you are basically fooked unless you have bottomless pockets and can join one of these new "mega church" clubs.

Why wait 7 years to grind your way into Everglades Club when you can just drop $1M and join Apogee?

WE just need a brisk recession to blow through, right...?... ;D 

Oh, and Tim...you will remain an "Outsider" unless you can stomach a mere $150K downstroke to join some 37 year old "Robert Van Hague" course with only a 5 year wait and a hardy "Doak 4" rating (if you are lucky.)

Even then, you will be cart-balling until you start eating soft food.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2024, 11:33:03 AM by Ian Mackenzie »

Daryl David

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2024, 11:37:44 AM »

I do kind of understand this on first blush, but I think a mostly-stagnant game would get old pretty fast. Just the ability to meet new people coming in (or coming back later in life) is part of the fun. Additionally, I feel like this kind of freeze would disproportionately hurt lower-cost facilities the most (but I could be wrong). Not to mention that one-out/one-in would probably leave a lot of people who'd like to play left out.

That said, the ouroboros that is the equipment industry is getting tiresome. I don't feel like their version of growing the game is the same as what mine is and I totally get it. But they aren't the only ones helped by a growing game.

Good points Charlie.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2024, 01:37:57 PM »
The current wait list at Calusa Pines (Ive heard from a "good source") is currently 512.

If you did not "get into FL" before 2021, you are basically fooked unless you have bottomless pockets and can join one of these new "mega church" clubs.

Why wait 7 years to grind your way into Everglades Club when you can just drop $1M and join Apogee?

Oh, and Tim...you will remain an "Outsider" unless you can stomach a mere $150K downstroke to join some 37 year old "Robert Van Hague" course with only a 5 year wait and a hardy "Doak 4" rating (if you are lucky.)

Pretty spot on. Just went from the pre-wait list to officially on the waitlist for a club in Naples. Locked in at 75K for a club that pre Covid was 10K. Fortunately bought my place in 2016, well before I retired. I’m just off Marco so it’s even harder to find a club not a 45 minute drive.

If you have ever played the Creek in Fiddlers that is now $350k but theoretically refundable.

Good public golf doesn’t exist. We drive 55 minutes each way to Ava Maria to play Panther and the National. They will both be private in a couple of years.

It’s crazy.

John Foley

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2024, 04:15:03 PM »
I looked late 2010's and it wasn't crazy but still very limited availability. Always thought that North Naples / Bonita you could find a bit of a better deal but that isn't happening either. A bit surprised he was able to put that land deal together, that pretty close to town to be undeveloped.

Integrity in the moment of choice

Rob Marshall

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2024, 05:49:52 PM »
I looked late 2010's and it wasn't crazy but still very limited availability. Always thought that North Naples / Bonita you could find a bit of a better deal but that isn't happening either. A bit surprised he was able to put that land deal together, that pretty close to town to be undeveloped.

Basically a dirt road to Hideout and there is only one house on the course you can see. Its pretty remote but you’re right it’s not far from the end Pine Ridge.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2024, 07:59:46 PM »

Pretty spot on. Just went from the pre-wait list to officially on the waitlist for a club in Naples. Locked in at 75K for a club that pre Covid was 10K. Fortunately bought my place in 2016, well before I retired. I’m just off Marco so it’s even harder to find a club not a 45 minute drive.

If you have ever played the Creek in Fiddlers that is now $350k but theoretically refundable.

Good public golf doesn’t exist. We drive 55 minutes each way to Ava Maria to play Panther and the National. They will both be private in a couple of years.

It’s crazy.

That is crazy. I remember when Fiddlers was practically bankrupt and you could join for $5000.

My parents were in a bundled community - Naples Lakes. Do those places have initiation fees now? If not I’d imagine it would make the real estate more valuable

Rob Marshall

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2024, 08:14:43 PM »

It’s crazy.

That is crazy. I remember when Fiddlers was practically bankrupt and you could join for $5000.

My parents were in a bundled community - Naples Lakes. Do those places have initiation fees now? If not I’d imagine it would make the real estate more valuable

It was bankrupt. I used to play it for $65.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back