News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nicolas Joakimides

Golf course Architect on Youtube
« on: September 01, 2024, 11:49:13 AM »
Hi !

I am thinking about creating a Utube channel about golf design to make myself better known .
It seems that no golf course designers have embarked on the adventure ... ??? .
Erik Anders has made a lot of content on the subject but he's not designing courses...

It surprises me !  Don't you ?

NJ

John Kavanaugh

Re: Golf course Architect on Youtube
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2024, 12:09:46 PM »
You can’t make a Tomlette without breaking some Greggs.

How about a modern confidential guide on TicTok? Saying what other influencers are afraid to say.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2024, 03:18:38 PM »
I think this is a very good idea. I would subscribe. At the end of the day you are right: it's a niche in the golf space that has not been filled, and you'll probably have all the advantages of a first mover in getting subscribers.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2024, 04:14:39 PM »
Seems to be quite a bit of this already under various guises. YouTube views and subscribers can also equal ca$h for some. Just saying.
Atb

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2024, 10:21:21 PM »
I think aiming for the production value of the Fried Egg architecture videos is a good target, and also… a pretty high bar at the same time.

Also, they're in that niche. They're not architects of course, but they're in that space.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2024, 01:07:13 AM »
I think aiming for the production value of the Fried Egg architecture videos is a good target, and also… a pretty high bar at the same time.

Also, they're in that niche. They're not architects of course, but they're in that space.

Andy has slowly built up to like a dozen employees to achieve his production value.  It's not an easy competition.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2024, 02:17:30 AM »
YouTube views and subscribers can also equal ca$h for some. Just saying.

There is no cash in golf architecture YT...or most any other YT.  The economics have changed.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2024, 11:52:21 AM »
Andy has slowly built up to like a dozen employees to achieve his production value.  It's not an easy competition.
Right, but… that's the bar, currently, and he's in that space. Some of it's behind the paywall (ClubTFE), but… I think you'd have a hard time getting a wide audience with 2010 YouTube production values. There's an argument that if the content is stellar it'll shine through second-level production, but… that's only true for the more hard-core audience. The audience you hope to attract who isn't already hard-core will care about production, graphics, audio, etc.

It's not going to be an easy hill to climb. And one of the tricks is… relentlessly publishing content. Like, 2-3x a week.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2024, 01:28:52 PM »
Erik:

I was agreeing with you.  It would be very difficult to compete for eyeballs if you were just a one-man operation.  Plus, at the end of the day, I think it's more important to become VERY GOOD at what you do than to become HIGHLY RECOGNIZED for it.  No one's hiring Andy Johnson to design their courses [at least not yet].

Stephen Smith

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2024, 05:02:30 PM »

While it pains me to say it, I think the whole purpose of social media is to be highly recognized regardless of any talent. It makes a lot of untalented people stupid rich. 

Would love to see this niche take off.  Fun for all of us architecture junkies.

Erik:

I was agreeing with you.  It would be very difficult to compete for eyeballs if you were just a one-man operation.  Plus, at the end of the day, I think it's more important to become VERY GOOD at what you do than to become HIGHLY RECOGNIZED for it.  No one's hiring Andy Johnson to design their courses [at least not yet].

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2024, 08:17:20 PM »
Yes, right on.

👍🏼

While it pains me to say it, I think the whole purpose of social media is to be highly recognized regardless of any talent. It makes a lot of untalented people stupid rich.

I think YouTube and other social media networks have many incredibly talented people. It just depends where you look. For example, MKBHD in the tech space. Or the Good Good guys and others in YouTube golf, introducing golf to a new generation.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2024, 08:19:18 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2024, 08:27:23 PM »
It seems that no golf course designers have embarked on the adventure ... ??? .

Tom Coyne has lots of video's and he's now half of Craig & Coyne.

He went the other direction starting with lots of golf media and more recently working as an architect.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back