News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Kelly

Re: Blowing smoke up ……. : TV, ‘influencers’ etc
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2024, 11:10:32 PM »
I like how y'all can't even agree on what old announcers you like, while simultaneously complaining about the new content, creators, announcers, etc.

If it's not for you, fine. It's for someone, or they wouldn't be continuing. Just like spam: it continues to exist because people out there keep engaging with it. Millions and millions of people. More than watch PGA Tour broadcasts, or ever did most weekends (non-majors).
This is a discussion group, chief.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Chris Hughes

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2024, 12:37:51 AM »
I like how y'all can't even agree on what old announcers you like, while simultaneously complaining about the new content, creators, announcers, etc.

If it's not for you, fine. It's for someone, or they wouldn't be continuing. Just like spam: it continues to exist because people out there keep engaging with it. Millions and millions of people. More than watch PGA Tour broadcasts, or ever did most weekends (non-majors).

Is there a "thumbs up" button I'm missing?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2024, 08:51:04 AM »
Seems like the quality of the commentary and the general involvement of the talking heads and voices within TV golf continues to diminish. Seems like there is ever more blowing smoke up ………
Bland, boring, obsequious, patronising, irrelevant statistics, even recently swearing!
And there seems to be ever more of them wondering the fairways, the range, the studios etc.
Thoughts?
Atb

Has anyone, besides a golf commentator of the last 10 years, ever used the word penultimate?
Absolute guaranteed use of that word, every-single-telecast.

I rather enjoy watching players skip balls across the pond on the antepenultimate hole during Masters practice rounds.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

jeffwarne

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2024, 09:20:12 AM »
It's funny; I just assumed most people liked Alliss. I thought he could be unnecessarily blunt at times, but it was kind of refreshing and occasionally a little shocking for an American who is used to, to borrow the thread title, blowing smoke up every player's back sides.

Meanwhile I can't stand Azinger. I feel like his entire vocabulary is just cliches.

Oh well, diff strokes for diff folks, eh.

This.
Different strokes indeed.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2024, 05:03:01 PM »
It's funny; I just assumed most people liked Alliss. I thought he could be unnecessarily blunt at times, but it was kind of refreshing and occasionally a little shocking for an American who is used to, to borrow the thread title, blowing smoke up every player's back sides.

Meanwhile I can't stand Azinger. I feel like his entire vocabulary is just cliches.

Oh well, diff strokes for diff folks, eh.

I am definitely not in Adam’s camp. Aliss was miles beyond anyone who has come along since.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2024, 11:20:28 AM »
For grumpy old men to talk about how little they understand YouTube golf, how much they hate any new golf announcer and long for the days of Peter Alliss, etc. I get that.

That it's a discussion group is why I posted my opinion of y'all's dated old-man opinions, buddy.  ;D
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2024, 09:29:25 PM »
Speaking as a 79 years old...my choices in alphabetical order are

David Marr
Pat Summerall
Ken Venturi
and as a true 79 year old, I forget who the 4th was ....
« Last Edit: September 08, 2024, 03:37:34 AM by Paul Rudovsky »

John Kirk

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2024, 01:45:32 PM »
I believe golf would be best announced by somebody like the late Bill Walton, who would joke around, tell stories and champion the greatness of the athletes who play the game at the highest levels.  You can have your pithy wordsmiths, serious analysts and solemn tributes to the game's past; as a native Californian I like the open, enthusiastic dialect of my home state.

The national networks walk a tightrope in how they present the game.  As a result, the broadcasts sacrifice some entertainment value in hopes of avoiding the occasional faux pas.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2024, 01:56:36 PM »
Supposed advice to a newcomer to sports commentating from Henry Longhurst ….. “Shut up and let the pictures tell the story”.
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back