News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Brzezowski

Re: Applebrook
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2024, 12:02:18 PM »
PV not Philly?

It's not the skyline of Pittsburg you see when playing there.

Ed,

I agree. It is silly not to consider Pine Valley as part of Philadelphia.

Club House at Pine Valley to City Hall = 15.3 miles
Club House at Applebrook to City Hall = 19.8 miles

Well said Robert.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Rick Sides

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2024, 06:06:59 PM »
Archie I remember that night at Tom Pauls farm . Haven’t heard from him in years . Does anyone have an update on him ?

Mike Worth

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2024, 06:58:52 PM »
Archie I remember that night at Tom Pauls farm . Haven’t heard from him in years . Does anyone have an update on him ?

I used to see him once or twice a year, but it’s been a while since that happened.

I spoke with a relative of his in early July who sees him regularly and I think he’s OK  he doesn’t play golf anymore

archie_struthers

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2024, 08:14:29 PM »
 8)

Again, Applebrook is wonderful...but I'm going in no order

Rolling Green,  Philly Cricket , Merion , Saucon Valley,  Lehigh and Lancaster CC as top tier

Pine Valley is in it's own spot and close to my heart as a Jersey Piney

MCirba

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2024, 07:42:45 AM »
8)

C'mon guys this one too easy on PV ...on a clear day you can see Philly , even Billy Penn's  fedora from the 18th tee box!

As to Applebrook it might not crack the top 5 in Philly architecturally, it certainly does for the experience walking with some great caddies. It's pure golf for sure , and from the range to the golf course and the clubhouse it might be as nice a getaway for the golfer in town.  They take service to a great level , and really work hard to make you comfortable.

They really did their homework when they laid it out , and many of us knew Gil was going to be a great architect just from listening to him talk way back in Tom Pauls' farmhouse more than twenty years ago. Anyone remember?

Yep.  Great day.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

George Pazin

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2024, 11:19:50 AM »
Well, if all y'all from the area say PV is Philly, who am I to disagree?

Mostly I just wanted to post the green/tee tie-in thing about Applebrook, thought it was cool and someone else might comment.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2024, 10:06:45 AM »

Mostly I just wanted to post the green/tee tie-in thing about Applebrook, thought it was cool and someone else might comment.

I find Applebrook interesting in that there is a real love it, hate it, thing with the guys i play with in Philly. Personally i like it but there are guys who rail against it as a poor design from the third hole on. I think Gil did a great job and love playing it .

mike_malone

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2024, 11:15:00 AM »

I find Applebrook interesting in that there is a real love it, hate it, thing with the guys i play with in Philly. Personally i like it but there are guys who rail against it as a poor design from the third hole on. I think Gil did a great job and love playing it .

Ed,

I run into a few who downplay Applebrook. I just dismiss them as idiots.
AKA Mayday

archie_struthers

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2024, 11:49:24 AM »
 8)

How could you not like Applebrook?    Not too easy not too hard. Some good short par fours and interesting threes. Super conditioning and easy to walk.  Superb practice area ...nice employees     

and some excellent green to tee tie-ins   

Rick Sides

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2024, 04:37:18 PM »
Archie I agree with you that it would be really hard to not like Applebrook. It is overall a solid, fun track and a great experience. My only thought is people that don’t like it might not have played well. Sometimes people’s view of the course is often tied to their score that day .

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2024, 11:28:03 AM »
Met Ernest Borgnine there, how can you not like that?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2024, 05:17:47 PM »
Met Ernest Borgnine there, how can you not like that?

His role in Escape From New York was priceless. FWIW.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

David Amarnek

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2024, 10:13:10 PM »
I'm meeting some of my Sunningdale friends in Philly next week and we're playing Applebrook on the 9th (along with Merion, Gulph Mills, and Pine Valley).  I've been there previously but only played the first 2 holes before my knee gave out (since replaced).  The Brits go on to Long Island afterward, unfortunately without me.  We're having dinner with Tom Paul next Saturday and I'm looking forward to seeing him again.

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2024, 12:22:59 AM »
Applebrook is great. I think 16 is not a good hole, at least not for the first two shots...that is my only gripe about the place. I personally really like the par 3s. I have not yet figured out the 5th hole (mid length par 3 near the snack shed) and find it to be one of the hardest holes on the course.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2024, 10:20:43 AM »
20 years ago for Tom Paul’s Barnfest?

Try 2008. Some of us played Hidden Creek the next day.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2024, 11:42:20 AM »
20 years ago for Tom Paul’s Barnfest?

Try 2008. Some of us played Hidden Creek the next day.

I think could be referring to another gathering at TPs barn, not the 'barnfests' that I organized at the farm.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back