News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne_Kozun

Re: OT - The 2025 St. Andrews "Swilcan Package"
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2024, 11:28:07 AM »
So £650 for a round on the Old Course, plus one of the other courses, and £60 in food.  So that would break down to something like £400 for the Old Course and £190 for the other course, plus the F&B.

Mark Mammel

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2024, 01:43:34 PM »
Talk about a long strange trip- 25 years old, I first played the Old Course in 1977. It was walk up, pay the L3.50, play away please. At that time the Old Course Hotel promised guaranteed times with room reservations, as did Russacks, but my buddy and I stayed in a local B&B and had a fine time, saving hundreds of pounds. I still have the ticket for any non-believers.

PS we also went to the Open at Turnberry, pre-purchased tickets but got a room at a B&B in Maidens when  we arrived at the Tourist Information Center nearby, a 1 mile walk to the course.
So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2024, 08:00:55 PM »
Talk about a long strange trip- 25 years old, I first played the Old Course in 1977. It was walk up, pay the L3.50, play away please. At that time the Old Course Hotel promised guaranteed times with room reservations, as did Russacks, but my buddy and I stayed in a local B&B and had a fine time, saving hundreds of pounds. I still have the ticket for any non-believers.

PS we also went to the Open at Turnberry, pre-purchased tickets but got a room at a B&B in Maidens when  we arrived at the Tourist Information Center nearby, a 1 mile walk to the course.

By 1982 it was up £15.  They were just starting to figure out that if you paid hundreds of dollars to fly over there for a week of golf, you'd pay more for the golf.

Mike Hendren

Re: OT - The 2025 St. Andrews "Swilcan Package" New
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2024, 11:11:00 PM »
A bargain.

There are great courses but precious little hallowed ground.  There are golf trips and then there are pilgrimages.

Then again, to sit alone in the dark with a cup of coffee at the starters hut is priceless.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 09:43:27 PM by Mike Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Rick Sides

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2024, 09:13:23 AM »
Probably the going rate these days for a bucket list course. When crappy public courses in New Jersey are charging 170 in season, St. Andrews at 400 doesn’t look that bad !

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2024, 01:46:01 PM »
I retire April 1, 2025 and already have some golf planned for April. I went ahead and entered the lottery as a single for two different timeframes.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Bill Seitz

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2024, 02:49:15 PM »
I retire April 1, 2025 and already have some golf planned for April. I went ahead and entered the lottery as a single for two different timeframes.

Probably going to do the same.  My wife pledged a nice sum of money for my 50th birthday for a Scotland trip, provided I (or more accurately, someone who isn't her) does the planning.  That was last year and I'm still working on it.

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2024, 03:33:39 PM »
Seems like most of the "big" courses in Scotland & Ireland (RCD, Portrush, etc.) are all well over 400. If you're making a somewhat rare trip (once every few years?) it's certainly worth it. Only bummer is you can only play the course once?
H.P.S.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2024, 03:38:14 PM »
The conversation rate for £650 to USD is just shy of $900.

I understand its the home of golf and all, but is that really a good deal for two rounds and a snack in between? 

Where is Melvyn when you need him to bemoan that price tag?  Perhaps Thomas can chime in as proxy  ;)

Bill Seitz

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2024, 03:49:28 PM »
The conversation rate for £650 to USD is just shy of $900.

I understand its the home of golf and all, but is that really a good deal for two rounds and a snack in between? 

Where is Melvyn when you need him to bemoan that price tag?  Perhaps Thomas can chime in as proxy  ;)

Haven't been to Bandon, but two rounds at Sand Valley (Mammoth and Sedge, but they were all the same price) was $650, plus food, which was pretty reasonably priced.  Is St. Andrews and another Links Trust course worth 1.5x that?  Probably if it's a once in a lifetime trip.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back