News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Lancaster Options
« on: August 18, 2024, 06:58:39 AM »
Spending the night in Lancaster and was suppose to play Lancaster CC next Sunday but it fell through . Anyone have any alternative public or private courses nearby for one round ?

Bernie Bell

Re: Lancaster Options
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2024, 11:06:15 AM »
Nearby by is relative but I'd nominate Wyncote. 

Tim Martin

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2024, 11:33:16 AM »
CC of York is private and deserving of a play if you can get on and is less than thirty miles from Lancaster.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2024, 03:05:40 PM »
I agree with Wyncote,a public course,  in Oxford, about a 20 mile ride on 222.

https://www.wyncote.com/

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2024, 07:29:42 PM »
   I prefer Pilgrims Oak in Peach Bottom. Hurzdon and Frye. 1/2 the price of Wyncote, and better IMHO.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2024, 08:05:57 PM »
LCC is the top of the mountain out there, IMHO. So, let's hope you'll get there eventually.

Privates that are really stellar nearby are CC of York and West Shore. Run if you can arrange to play either of these.

I have played pretty much every public golf course in that area, and if you are willing to lower your expectations a bit, here are two right in the Lancaster area and are strong:

1. Overlook - it is almost 100 years old and is solid

2. Willow Valley - a 9-hole course that will make you smile.

Now if you have the ability to travel north of Lancaster a bit, then I have a 36 hole public escapade for you that might even make you giggle:

Galen Hall and Manor.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2024, 07:41:33 AM »
If you're willing to drive to West Shore or York, then LedgeRock is a lot closer in the other direction and Berkshire (recently completed a renovation), French Creek and Stonewall are not much further.
Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

Brian Finn

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2024, 08:16:46 AM »
LCC is the top of the mountain out there, IMHO. So, let's hope you'll get there eventually.

Privates that are really stellar nearby are CC of York and West Shore. Run if you can arrange to play either of these.

I have played pretty much every public golf course in that area, and if you are willing to lower your expectations a bit, here are two right in the Lancaster area and are strong:

1. Overlook - it is almost 100 years old and is solid

2. Willow Valley - a 9-hole course that will make you smile.

Now if you have the ability to travel north of Lancaster a bit, then I have a 36 hole public escapade for you that might even make you giggle:

Galen Hall and Manor.
I don't have nearly the experience in this region as others here, but if Galen Hall isn't too far, I would suggest giving it shot.  I found it incredibly fun and was so glad I went a bit out of the way to see it. 
New for '24: Monifieth (Medal & Ashludie), Montrose (1562 & Broomfield), Panmure, Carnoustie (Championship, Burnside, & Buddon), Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop (Red & Black), Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs (South & Bluffs), Kapalua Plantation...

Jon Sweet

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2024, 02:05:28 PM »
Spending the night in Lancaster and was suppose to play Lancaster CC next Sunday but it fell through . Anyone have any alternative public or private courses nearby for one round ?
Should have had your pro call and go play Hershey CC.  Fantastic course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back