News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview No 2 with Richard Pennell New
« on: August 17, 2024, 04:00:21 PM »
Feature Interview No. 2 with Richard Pennell - Golf Club Atlas

Sometimes you read something and go, “Wow, how true.” And then you turn sullen, maybe even a bit bitter, wishing you had written it yourself! 8)

These feelings often sweep over me reading anything that Richard Pennnell writes. Take these words for instance, “But the quiet, reflective missions to places like Westward Ho!, Minch Old and Borth & Ynyslas were the exact tonic I needed at that time, so it felt like the underlying theme was of me re-discovering the simple game, and getting back to my own grassroots via such pure examples of golf.” Or these,“These old courses are the strongest links I have to the present.” Better than about anyone, Richard portrays the quieter, healthier cadence of the game as found in so many rural spots across the UK. That’s my sweet spot too, so I am naturally predisposed to being a huge fan as he weaves his multi-layered stories.

Happily for all of us, since retiring from his positions at Woking and New Zealand GC, Richard has started sharing regular missives with us via Pitchmarks (Pitchmarks | Richard Pennell | Substack). He has made over 800 entries, and he enjoys the greatest luxuries that a writer can be given: he only writes on subjects that intrigue him and he has time and space to fully expound on his sentiments.

Don’t subscribe to Pitchmarks if you are hoping for a breakdown of fairways hit on the PGA Tour or how to improve your launch angle. Otherwise, if you have a yearning to discover more courses like Borth & Ynyslas or to read about curious features that have caught Richard’s eye (“There’s a whole world built on uniformity, but the great architects build holes in spite of the rules when the land requires it of them. They break the rules with intention when called to do so, and we are left with works of art to ponder and play. And I would love those places to embrace that which makes them different.”), then Richard, Pitchmarks, and his recently released book Grass Routes are for you.

Best,
« Last Edit: September 03, 2024, 10:32:00 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Thomas Dai

Re: Feature Interview No 2 with Richard Pennell
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2024, 04:34:34 PM »
A splendid read. Simplicity is the essence of golf. Thank you Ran and Richard.
Atb

John Mayhugh

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2024, 01:12:35 PM »
Thanks for sharing this interview. Very enjoyable read - as is pretty much everything I've seen from Richard. I especially loved this:
There are many ways in which clubs seem to drift towards the average. But I love the places where the course persists despite it breaking a few of the so-called “rules” – of par values and balance and fairness. There’s a whole world built on uniformity, but the great architects build holes in spite of the rules when the land requires it of them. They break the rules with intention when called to do so, and we are left with works of art to ponder and play. And I would love those places to embrace that which makes them different.

In his latest Pitchmarks, he mentions the GCA interview and has this line which is so true for me as well.
I would have to spend the rest of my life showing people these local masterpieces to repay the debt to GolfClubAtlas, for it changed both my path and my palate, for the better.

Richard Pennell

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2024, 11:21:39 AM »
Ran, so grateful for these kind words. This space is a precious one, and I have learned a great deal here!

After fairly infrequent lurking in recent years, I hope to spend a bit more time on the DG.

Thank you!
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

Richard Pennell

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2024, 11:23:08 AM »
A splendid read. Simplicity is the essence of golf. Thank you Ran and Richard.
Atb

Thank you Dai! Your taste in golf matches mine!
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

Richard Pennell

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2024, 11:24:35 AM »
Thanks for sharing this interview. Very enjoyable read - as is pretty much everything I've seen from Richard. I especially loved this:
There are many ways in which clubs seem to drift towards the average. But I love the places where the course persists despite it breaking a few of the so-called “rules” – of par values and balance and fairness. There’s a whole world built on uniformity, but the great architects build holes in spite of the rules when the land requires it of them. They break the rules with intention when called to do so, and we are left with works of art to ponder and play. And I would love those places to embrace that which makes them different.

In his latest Pitchmarks, he mentions the GCA interview and has this line which is so true for me as well.
I would have to spend the rest of my life showing people these local masterpieces to repay the debt to GolfClubAtlas, for it changed both my path and my palate, for the better.

And thank you, John! We once sat across a table looking out over the Deal links, I think. Seems like several lifetimes ago, but golf connects people so well.

Michael Morandi

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2024, 08:03:05 PM »
Richard, your reflections remind me that there are few better feelings than playing a golf course of great integrity in the late afternoon either in a cool breeze or lifting humidity.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2024, 04:05:43 PM »

I used to windsurf before I took up golf. I lost track of the number of guys who had given up the "rat race" and opened their own facility. Most found that turning their hobby into their livelihood, killed the joy they had been seeking, and they very rarely got out on the water. 
Richard seems to have experienced something akin to this.  He decided to step back for a second time and the book tells how he rediscovered the joy of simple places and the well struck ball. His book might just be the perfect gift for someone you know, who's lost the joy?  Great read.

In addition to the book Richard continues to share his thoughts on Pitchmarks.  This week he riffs on a quote from the painter Marc Chagall.
"great art picks up where nature ends" and muses that if you swap the word Golf for Art....
Lovely

https://outlook.live.com/mail/0/inbox/id/AQMkADAwATNiZmYAZC0wOWNiLTJlMDItMDACLTAwCgBGAAAD2e1S0lb0rkeiPE4TCV8uawcA91ofOF7bpkaAdLYNprbQUwAAAgEMAAAA91ofOF7bpkaAdLYNprbQUwAGeq56PQAAAA%3D%3D

There's also a link to buy the book direct from him.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2024, 04:07:51 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back