News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: Colossal CRUDEN BAY GC
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2024, 07:17:42 AM »
For mine the 12th is the best short CB has. How does it work to add the new short hole and drop 11? What is the hole sequence?
Ciao
Seems to be some confusion here.
The 12th isn’t a short hole, it’s a par-4.
It’s the 11th that’s the short hole par-3.
The revised routing would thus be - current 10th, current 12th, ‘new’ par-3 at the end of the course (current ‘19th’ as Michael describes it above) then current 13th.
The current 12th could then be played from near the current 11th tee, ie the playing line being behind the green shed and closer to the OB fence line. This would be similar to how the hole is shown in the 1896 routing plan).
Atb
Sorry, yes, the 11th is the best short hole on the course.
So would the new 11th (current 12th) be a par 3 if the tee is near the current 11th tee?
Ciao
It would still be a par-4. The yardage would be near exactly as at present.
Atb

Niall C

« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2024, 07:25:31 AM »
David/Michael

The buildings in view are what is now the Cruden Bay garage which sits to the left of the 3rd tee on the main course, that's the larger building, and the building to the left with the two chimneys is what is now Websters Pharmacy which sits on the other side of the road from the garage. Judging from old OS maps the footprint of the garage building has been reduced with the smaller extension on the west side removed. If you look at it on google street view you can see that the floor slab for the bit knocked down is now used for parking.

The range of dunes to the right (or the left as they played the hole) are the ones that are to the left of the 6th and 7th on the St Olafs course and to the left of the 8th. Basically the 6th and 7th play along the other side of the dunes as you view it on the film and then the hole shown is more or less the 8th on the St Olafs. Indeed it might actually be more or less the same green judging by the mound to the right of it as you play the hole. That's similar to todays 8th is it not ?

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2024, 07:35:31 AM »
Good points Niall.
Interesting to compare the 1896 routing with the 1914 video. In particular I’ve attempted to identify the building in the background at 5’30” in the film as this would help determine the green in views location so far but without success. Maybe the building isn’t there anymore?
Atb
Yeah, I've been staring at that image and getting nowhere with it. The dunes look like those to the left of 5, 6 and 7 but there's no building near that direction. The green looks a bit like the 7th, although the rise to the green isn't steep enough and the dunes feel like they are in the wrong place.

Sliding doors ….. Niall posted as I was typing this …..

Michael.
I believe that the green at 5’30” is the current 8th green on the St Olaf course.
The large dune ridge to the right in the film being the ridge that currently has the 6th on the StO and the 4th on the current main course on the far side of it.
I also believe that the large building visible at left in the film is located along the seaward side of the main road behind the current 2nd green, approx in the area where I believe a garage now resides. I recall that there used to be a large building in this area which I presume has subsequently been demolished.
Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2024, 08:31:11 AM »
For mine the 12th is the best short CB has. How does it work to add the new short hole and drop 11? What is the hole sequence?
Ciao
Seems to be some confusion here.
The 12th isn’t a short hole, it’s a par-4.
It’s the 11th that’s the short hole par-3.
The revised routing would thus be - current 10th, current 12th, ‘new’ par-3 at the end of the course (current ‘19th’ as Michael describes it above) then current 13th.
The current 12th could then be played from near the current 11th tee, ie the playing line being behind the green shed and closer to the OB fence line. This would be similar to how the hole is shown in the 1896 routing plan).
Atb
Sorry, yes, the 11th is the best short hole on the course.
So would the new 11th (current 12th) be a par 3 if the tee is near the current 11th tee?
Ciao
It would still be a par-4. The yardage would be near exactly as at present.
Atb

I am not convinced by this idea. As I say, the 11th is an excellent hole. I also like 12, but it needs some clearance. I didn't realize folks disliked the 11th so much. I thought the 15th was the "problem"? Is this suggestion for safety concerns?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back