News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Colossal CRUDEN BAY GC
« on: August 15, 2024, 01:43:30 PM »
Cruden Bay Golf Club sits on the Battle of Cruden (also known as the Battle of Crochdane…Slaughter of Danes) site between the Scots and Danes in 1012.  The Scots won the battle over Canute’s forces and the terms of victory included the Danes withdrawing from Scotland. Prince Canute later went on to form a Kingdom in England. A chapel was eventually dedicated to the dead on both sides of the battle…St Olaf’s (Patron Saint of Norway). The restored font from this no longer existing chapel is in the sanctuary of St James The Less, Cruden Bay.

Jumping forward almost 900 years, the course was commissioned in 1894 by the Great North of Scotland Railway (GNSR) Company and fully opened in 1899. The inner nine hole “ladies course” was also laid out at the same time. The original course measured 5290 yards, but by 1908 more people were involved in making changes and the course had been extended to 5929 yards. The course was part of the facilities offered by the Cruden Bay Hotel, which was another GNSR project which opened in the same year.  The pink granite hotel was nick named the Palace in the Sandhills and even had an electric tram connecting to the Cruden Bay Train Station. Sadly, the hotel survived just over 50 years when the demolition was finished in the early 1950s after passenger service to Cruden Bay was halted in 1932. The club and course soon fell on hard times. The largesse of local businessmen saved the course from oblivion and they built a new house in 1961 which was replaced less than 50 years later....both on the same site as the hotel.

1921 Simpson & Fowler map of the courses. The Championship Course shown in red is basically the same today. The Olaf Course shown in blue is somewhat different after the recent changes.

GNSR must have had faith in the success of the resort because Simpson & Fowler were engaged to redesign Cruden Bay. The ladies course was also redesigned at this time. Much of the course followed the path of the OTM/A Simpson design, but there are significant differences. I don't know exactly who did what because there were more people involved between the original design and the T Simpson work, but I believe the general credit can be started as follows:

1. Simpson & Fowler
2. OTM & A Simpson green
3-5. Simpson & Fowler
6. OTM & A Simpson green
7. OTM & A Simpson
8. Simpson & Fowler
9. OTM & A Simpson, Mackenzie tee
10. OTM & A Simpson, Mackenzie tee
11. Simpson & Fowler
12. OTM & A Simpson (green reworked?)
13.  Simpson & Fowler using two holes from OTM & A Simpson
14.  Simpson & Fowler reworked OTM & A Simpson
15. OTM & A Simpson
16.  Simpson & Fowler, green reworked Mackenzie?
17.  OTM green (reworked?)
18. Simpson & Fowler

Cruden Bay runs in a figure of eight through uplifting dunes with the 8th being the linchpin of the design. Many of the holes are separated by sandhills and as such create a feeling of inwardness. The views are scintillating, especially from the new 9th tee.  Cruden Bay seems to break design rules here and there yet is perfectly logical and entertaining.

The opener is named after Slains Castle, which is associated with Bram Stoker who often visited Cruden Bay. It is thought Stoker started writing the novel during one of his stays in 1895. This game aptly began in an eery light fog which struggled to completely lift. Even so, the rumpled fairway provides a solid start to the round. I appreciate the view straight down through the 2nd.

Named for the battle mentioned above, Crochdane is a puzzling hole for me. I am not convinced by the bunker placement or aesthetics of the bunkering down the right.

Cruden Bay gets going on the 3rd; a short two-shotter which twists blindly around a large hill on the right.

Behind the green.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 06, 2024, 08:22:23 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth & Old Barnwell

Ben Sims

Re: Colossal CRUDEN BAY GC 1-3
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2024, 03:11:11 PM »
Ooooh been waiting for this one!

Of the courses I saw this summer, CB and Brora are the ones I think about most. That’s pretty surprising considering the others we visited.

The first is pretty spot on for me as an opener.

The second hole gets not much love from my group. I understand why but I also think it’s a nice introduction to what Cruden Bay is all about. Sort of a “get over it and move on” kind of experience. The second hole does a great job of telling you not to treat CB as a pencil-and-card experience…

Which then gets reinforced on the third. Whatever the second takes from you, the third surely gives back. This is the beauty of my experience at Cruden Bay.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2024, 03:15:39 PM »
Great timing. I'll be there for the first time in a little over a month.

Love the little history lessons at the beginning.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2024, 03:41:56 PM »
I played CB just once, in 2000. But the view of the quaint row of houses/cottages to the left of the 3rd hole has always stuck in my mind. Thanks for the pics.   
« Last Edit: August 15, 2024, 03:47:12 PM by David_Tepper »

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2024, 03:53:28 PM »
Colossal is correct!!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2024, 04:23:32 PM »
Until the new Clubhouse and the surrounding new houses were built it was possible to see the huge, and they were huge, granite footing stones of the old 'Pink Palace' hotel within the grassed carpark area to the right of the former entrance road to the club.

There were also several holiday caravans positioned to the SW side of the clubhouse and along a rough vehicle track that led in a curved SW direction from the clubhouse down to what is now the driving range area.

Here’s an old b&w film of CBGC ‘Pink Palace’ electric tramway, Vardon & Ray and all prior to WW-1 -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hbWUCXZZqPA&pp=ygUPQ3J1ZGVuIGJheSBnb2xm

For some now coloured old b&w photos of what CBGC was like a long, long time ago see this GCA thread -

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,67896.msg1624545.html#msg1624545

Atb

« Last Edit: August 23, 2024, 03:10:08 PM by Thomas Dai »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2024, 04:19:55 AM »

I'm somewhat astonished that you haven't been to CB before.  I think you'll love it.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2024, 08:20:53 AM »

Cruden Bay runs in a figure of eight through uplifting dunes with the 8th being the linchpin of the design. Many of the holes are separated by sandhills and as such create a feeling of inwardness. The views are scintillating, especially from the new 9th tee. Cruden Bay seems to break design rules here and there yet is perfectly logical and entertaining.

I think this captures the essence of CB.  Just a notch below North Berwick, but a very close 1st cousin IMO.  More undulations than NB and really loved the quirk. Was nice to see the history of the club/course at the starters shed.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

John Mayhugh

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2024, 12:24:56 PM »

I'm somewhat astonished that you haven't been to CB before.  I think you'll love it.
Never been north of Carnoustie on the east coast. So much left unseen.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2024, 02:25:26 PM »
It probably is heresy, but (admittedly one play) I did not find CB nearly as compelling as NB and not as good a course as Royal Aberdeen. CB holes 3 through 7 are excellent. I disagree with Sean about 8–an okay short par 4 (and yes I get how it ties the course together). Number 9 is All World even without the views. Numbers 10-12 are fine but nothing special and a bit cramped and out of character with the rest. 13-16 is a really good run. 17 and 18 are fine.

Overall, not nearly as coherent as NB, Brora, or Elie.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2024, 02:28:17 PM by Ira Fishman »

Ben Sims

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2024, 03:19:15 PM »
Ira,

Some of the best comedians are borderline incoherent. Following the train of thought of Robin Williams or Sir Billy Connolly was often a futile exercise. Best to enjoy the ride.

Not saying you’re wrong or right Ira. Far from it. The dozens of takes on CB that I’ve read, perhaps as much as any course, remind me that the most interesting courses can be very disparate in people’s view of them. I’m coming to believe that the 10’s of the golf world aren’t nearly as provocative and amusing as many of the 8’s.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2024, 03:42:12 PM »
Ben,

You chose words that I find worth pondering: provocative and amusing. I have found several courses provocative: Somerset Hills, Yale, Primland, Carne, SS Blue, Nairn. Amusing? If you mean oddly fun, the Mulligan.

Ira

Ben Sims

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2024, 04:06:30 PM »
Ben,

You chose words that I find worth pondering: provocative and amusing. I have found several courses provocative: Somerset Hills, Yale, Primland, Carne, SS Blue, Nairn. Amusing? If you mean oddly fun, the Mulligan.

Ira

Ira,

I just purchased a car that for the first time in my life is worse than the car before it. Purposely. And yet, I like it more. My kids named it “Giggles.” Which is exactly what my playing partners and I did every time we scaled the 8 green to 9 tee walk at Cruden Bay. We laughed at the insanity of it and the reveal at the end.

Being okay with imperfection, being curious, and being amused mean more to me than they ever have. Maybe that explains my take a bit more.

PS—I too find the Mulligan amusing. CB too though. Also…what did you find provocative about Nairn? I find that one the odd man out in your list.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2024, 05:00:25 AM »
Ben,

Nairn played as an in your face links course. Nothing subtle about it, but then you have the stretch 13-15 which I found both fun and bracing. It is the combination of the two aspects of Nairn that brought to mind the term provocative.

If by amusing you mean producing joyous smiles, I would add Elie, Kilspindie, Golspie, and Bandon Preserve to my list. My wife would tell you that she has never had such pure fun as at Elie and Bandon Preserve.

The walk from 8 to 9 at CB is indeed both a bit absurd and wonderful. There is a recent thread about such walks.

Ira

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2024, 10:28:02 AM »
Cruden Bay Tour Cont

Perched above Water of Cruden and Port Errol, the short 4th is a pure execution hole...can the correct carry be made or not? I never thought the hole was special, certainly not for a man of Tom Simpson's capabilities and resume. Which makes me question if Simpson was in fact responsible for this hole. I note the bunker has been moved to the left edge of the green since my last visit. It doesn't make much difference if the green is shelved rather than a false front.

A look at the green from the lower 5th tee. It looks to me like the green has been extended to include the original green.

The monstrously long two-shot 5th won me over the first time I set foot on the tee. The green to the right is St Olaf's 6th.  From the lower tee the hole plays much more like a dogleg left.

The third shot for what is effectively a par 5 for the likes of me.

The large green from the 6th tee.

An old photo of the 5th green.

Cruden Bay has one of the best sets of par 5s in UK&I. This is partly true because the course isn't littered with the traditional count of four. Instead there are two and both greens sit high in commanding fashion...tough targets to hit in two. The 6th, or Bluidy Burn is the first of the three-shotters. The hole plays straight from on high over rolling terrain to the flat just before the burn.

Even if one hits a great drive, the go for it in two shot is daunting and likely foolish.

Charles Ambrose's vision of the hole.

A more reasonable approach which still requires two good shots to earn. I note heavy rough is now much closer to the fairway than on my last visit. Before and after.

For longer players, carrying the burn in two pin high between the green and the 7th tee is a decent option.

Simpson's version of the hole was much shorter than today's hole.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 06, 2024, 08:28:07 AM by Sean_A »

Thomas Dai

Re: Colossal CRUDEN BAY GC 1-6
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2024, 02:27:11 PM »
Ref 2nd hole comment above. The right hand side fairway bunkers were moved closer to the green by I believe Frank Pont during his work at CB (late 1990's?).

Ref 4th. The left hand bunker has moved a couple of times over the years. The gap to walk through from the 4th green to 5th tee seems to have been considerably widened and the thin dune to the right of the 4th green removed. The walking-gap used to only be approx 4 ft wide and the dune came into play if a shot was hit long and right.

Ref 5th. The 5th high tee came into use in the 1980's. Before this all play was from the lower tee and so the hole played more of a dog-leg. I believe the green was further extended into the previous rear run-off area a few years ago.

Ref 6th green. Below is Tom Simpsons needlework of the 6th green complex. I believe the original hangs in a frame in the Committee Room at CBGC.

Here's an early CBGC routing map as posted by Melvyn Morrow herein many years ago which MM says is 1896. Shows holes laid out on both the current St Olaf course plus somewhat surprisingly holes routed up, over and around the big hill. As well as raising a few interesting golf course questions a curious non-golf aspect shown is the path from the farm on the higher level (to the right of the current 9th) down to the lower level.

atb

« Last Edit: August 18, 2024, 03:24:07 AM by Thomas Dai »

Alan Joss

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2024, 04:49:34 AM »
The Charles Ambrose image is wonderful, just like those by Harry Rowntree in The Golf Courses of the British Isles book.
Despite living in Aberdeen I have yet to play the St Olaf but it is on the ‘list’!
I must admit to Cruden Bay being one of my favorite courses in Scotland and prefer it to North Berwick which may be due to the scale of the dunes at CB.

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2024, 07:24:59 PM »
You are welcome Alan.

Cruden Bay Tour Cont

For modest hitters the 7th is highly challenging. The sharp dogleg requiring a placement drive followed by a steep uphill and constricted long approach is a recipe for a kiss on the card. 

The rounded and stepped green sheds approaches. I think the green has been eased on the right after this photo was taken.

7 looking back to the hotel.

Similar view today.

An old photo of Ted Ray spashing from what I think is a rear bunker.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 04:47:06 AM by Sean_A »

Michael Tamburrini

Re: Colossal CRUDEN BAY GC 1-7
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2024, 11:25:55 PM »
I love Cruden Bay. It's my favourite course anywhere and, now that I live in Western Australia, I find a lot of my casual golfing conversations are me telling Australians why all the golf courses here are nowhere near as good as where I used to play.

But, that being said, the wee green extension at the back of the fifth... why is it there? It was perfectly nice as a run off area. As a part of the green it seems completely useless and - assuming it's not changed in the past six years - it's not pinnable (I played a few rounds when the flag was in that section and my heart always sank because it was far too severe).

Niall C

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2024, 02:59:34 AM »
Michael

That's an interesting comment about the 5th green. If you look at the B&W photo and compare it to Sean's photo you can see it was taken to the left of Sean's and shows them putting on the back lower area that you refer to (or at least that is what I think it shows). I think that was the original green put in by AN Weir c.1899.

The real disappointment for me however is the tee area. It used to be a beautiful transition from the 4th green straight on to the 5th tee to be presented with a diagonal carry and a delayed reveal as you walked down round the dune ridge. Now the drag you up to the top of the dune just to give you a view. It makes the hole straight and altogether duller IMO.

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2024, 03:52:24 AM »
Niall makes a valid point about the 5th although it’s 30+ yrs since the tee was moved to atop the dune from the previous location. The old location could be a bit dangerous. Although there was a bell out right near the 6th green on the St Olaf shots going left from the old tee struggled for mere mortals using persimmons to carry over the rough, which was a blind area from the old tee.

Michael might recall the timing better than me but I believe the rearward extension to the 5th green was early 2000’s. The previous run-off area to the rear was quite large.

I’m not sure that the two old photos are of the 7th green although the one of the chap putting could be in the lower area below the saddle that leads to the current green. The 1899 map seems to show a green in this area. As to the Ted Ray photo the green in the photo is very big and very flat, which the 7th isn’t. The path shown leading away from the back of the green adjacent to TR and the bunkers the old photo suggests otherwise too.

Incidentally there used to be three fairway bunkers in the rough left of the dogleg on the 7th which were removed approx early 1990’s. Also I believe the right hand side of the green was softened at some time, early 2000’s I suspect. In addition, the tees for the 7th used to be alongside the 6th green, ie between the green and the high dunes.

Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2024, 04:50:52 AM »
Niall makes a valid point about the 5th although it’s 30+ yrs since the tee was moved to atop the dune from the previous location. The old location could be a bit dangerous. Although there was a bell out right near the 6th green on the St Olaf shots going left from the old tee struggled for mere mortals using persimmons to carry over the rough, which was a blind area from the old tee.

Michael might recall the timing better than me but I believe the rearward extension to the 5th green was early 2000’s. The previous run-off area to the rear was quite large.

I’m not sure that the two old photos are of the 7th green although the one of the chap putting could be in the lower area below the saddle that leads to the current green. The 1899 map seems to show a green in this area. As to the Ted Ray photo the green in the photo is very big and very flat, which the 7th isn’t. The path shown leading away from the back of the green adjacent to TR and the bunkers the old photo suggests otherwise too.

Incidentally there used to be three fairway bunkers in the rough left of the dogleg on the 7th which were removed approx early 1990’s. Also I believe the right hand side of the green was softened at some time, early 2000’s I suspect. In addition, the tees for the 7th used to be alongside the 6th green, ie between the green and the high dunes.

Atb

I believe Simpson redesigned the 7th green. The photo of T Ray I think is on the same location, but green shape was altered by Simpson. Could be wrong though.

I too thought St Olaf 6 green would be in a dodgy spot for the old Championship 5th tee.

Ciao

Niall C

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2024, 06:36:51 AM »
For David and Michael

Have the 17th and 18th greens been redesigned/rebuilt within the period you have known the course ?

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2024, 09:26:19 AM »
I don’t recall any changes to the 17th or 18th greens Niall.
I omitted to mention above but I do recall changes to the 6th green, struggling to remember the detail however. Reckon it was mid-1980’s.
I wonder if there are any more old photos of the current 7th green out there? Be nice to get some confirmation on the matter.
Atb

Later edit - a photo seen elsewhere later appears to show the surface of the 18th having been relaid (re-turfed not seeded). Whether it’s been re-contoured is a different matter.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2024, 06:48:42 AM by Thomas Dai »

Niall C

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2024, 09:40:17 AM »
David

Thanks for the comments on 17 and 18. To clarify, my earlier comments regarding the rear area originally being part of the green as per the B&W photo was in relation to the 5th and not the 7th.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back