News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Book

The Golf Club of Lebanon
« on: August 15, 2024, 10:48:19 AM »
The Economist published a blurb this morning on the Golf Club of Lebanon in the context of the tension between that nation and Israel. Although bunkered, the course has gotten most attention over the past few years that the true hazards at the course are missile launch sites that some Israeli defense experts claim are housed there (club management, interviewed for the story, laugh these claims off).

The club was founded during 1923, although the current course wasn't created until 1965. Per the club's website, "with Salim Ali Salaam as its president, relocated to its present location, a British golf architect was brought over from England to design a nine-hole golf course with alternative tees and greens."

Any ideas on who that Brit might have been, or if anyone noteworthy was involved in the nine new holes added during 1983?

The course took its knocks during past Israeli incursions (as well as the nation's Civil War). The club may mark a late centennial with fireworks as well.
"Cops are an abomination." - C.B. Macdonald and/or Jello Biafra

@BethpageBlackMetal

Jeff Schley

Re: The Golf Club of Lebanon
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2024, 11:43:56 AM »
It is sad what has happened to Lebanon in general, such a beautiful country that has been a victim of conflict. I passed by the course coming from/to the Beirut airport as it is just North of it. Never been to the course, but I know people who have played it.  Nothing special and they suffer from maintenance issues it sounds like.
Would be interesting insights to get answers to your questions.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2024, 12:13:35 PM »
Did a bit of research on this course for the wiki.

Their website: https://golfcluboflebanon.com/

Their location: 33.85, 35.49
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Ryan Book

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2024, 01:39:40 PM »
It is sad what has happened to Lebanon in general, such a beautiful country that has been a victim of conflict. I passed by the course coming from/to the Beirut airport as it is just North of it. Never been to the course, but I know people who have played it.  Nothing special and they suffer from maintenance issues it sounds like.
Would be interesting insights to get answers to your questions.

It is the ideal to for golf developers to build on sand. It is the antithesis for a nation's Central Bank to build on sand, as everyday Lebanese will attest.
"Cops are an abomination." - C.B. Macdonald and/or Jello Biafra

@BethpageBlackMetal

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back