News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

O/T - Ko(ach) K(uchar) + RIP Chi Chi
« on: August 11, 2024, 11:23:29 PM »
Great strategic play by Lydia Ko, a player certainly deserving of Olympic gold and a Hall of Fame berth.

No problem with Kuchar teeing off on the 18th in the looming darkness, even with the preceding group still in the fairway waiting to hit.  His ball was never going to be hit into the penultimate group, he was out of contention for a win, and other than that his finishing position was not material to him or the rest of the field.  He teed off so the others in the group had the option to play the 18th, or wait until Monday.  As to not finishing, he probably couuldn't get a good read on his lie.

Mourning the passing of Juan (Chi Chi) Rodriguez at 88.  A good life for a good person.  Half a century ago he was one of the people I followed when the tour came to Portland (Charlie Sifford too). A humanitarian and legend in his time.  Probably a WSOG with him is still viewable.

Tim Martin

Re: O/T - Ko(ach) K(uchar) + RIP Chi Chi
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2024, 08:34:04 AM »

Mourning the passing of Juan (Chi Chi) Rodriguez at 88.  A good life for a good person.  Half a century ago he was one of the people I followed when the tour came to Portland (Charlie Sifford too). A humanitarian and legend in his time.  Probably a WSOG with him is still viewable.

I saw Chi Chi play a number of times most notably when he dueled with winner Gary Player at the 1987 Senior U.S. Open at Brooklawn CC. He was in the same league as Lee Tevino as a shotmaker and always fun to watch. I attended the Saturday round with my dad to watch the group of Palmer, Player and Chi Chi and despite going to lots of tournaments over the years it remains as one of my favorite days as a spectator. Chi Chi was very easy to root for and a real positive for the professional game.

BHoover

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2024, 11:24:24 AM »
The game of golf is far less interesting without players and shotmakers like Chi Chi Rodriguez, Seve Ballesteros, and Lee Trevino. As Tim Martin said perfectly, Chi Chi was very easy to root for and very much a positive for the game.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2024, 02:44:46 PM »
He was a miracle worker around the greens. On the ninth hole at Harbor Town, his second shot hit into the face of the bunker, which plugged under the lip. I thought there was no way to get onto the green, but he got up and down. He made watching golf fun.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2024, 03:28:33 PM »
   Too many years ago, I was at Dorado Beach where Chi Chi was in residence. He gave an exhibition during which he hit shots with a tree branch shaped like a golf club that was heavily weighted at the toe. He explained that when he was young, he was so poor that this was how he learned to play.
   He hit lazy draw after beautiful lazy draw with the stick. “I’ve got to talk to Mr. Nicklaus,”  he said ( they were both on the MacGregor staff). “This club is impossible to slice.” I piped up, “I can slice one with that thing,” and proceeded to hit my usual 20 yard “fade.”  “I guess I’d better stick to playing, not club design,” Chi Chi observed. A life memory for me. 😀

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2024, 05:05:19 PM »
I have a Havenese, I named her CHI CHI after CHI CHI R
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2024, 07:45:07 PM »
In 1989, he was voted the Bob Jones Award, the highest honor given by the United States Golf Association in recognition of distinguished sportsmanship in golf. Rodriguez received the 1989 Old Tom Morris Award from the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America, GCSAA’s highest honor. In 1992, he was inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame, the first Puerto Rican so honored.

Read more:

https://flasportshof.org/fshofmember/chi-chi-rodriguez/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2024, 10:49:02 PM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Steve_ Shaffer

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back