News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Bueno BLACKMOOR GC
« on: August 24, 2024, 05:13:11 AM »
Blackmoor is one of the few courses which showcases a loop within a loop routing...well nearly. The 13th escapes the front nine outer loop. Given this routing, it should be no surprise that HS Colt is the architect of record. The first 13 holes were built in 1913, although, the club only played a 12 hole loop. Carter & Sons were used to build the greens. After WWI the remaining holes were built. I suspect some holes were altered due to housing along the start of the course. The 2nd definitely feels like it doesn't belong.  Presumably if the second was changed, perhaps the 3rd was as well, yet this is a fine hole recently improved by T Lobb moving a greenside bunker to a centreline location. A tight par of 69 keeps golfers honest for a relatively short course; there are five par 3s buffered by only two par 5s.

Tim Lobb recently completed a 3 year project to restore bunkers and generally improve the heathland environment. I wish I knew more about Blackmoor, but I don't. Blackmoor has long been on the back burner of my to see list. Why the back burner? Nobody ever told me I should make an effort to play Blackmoor. After playing the course, I am curious as to why!

The opening tee hangs off the side of the house. The hole is good, nothing brilliant, but a solid start.

The ditch used to cross the fairway and lead to a small pond on the right. 

View of the green near the 2nd tee.

The 2nd swings downhill and left between sentinel trees. I don't think the hole fits very well with the design. The 3rd, however, is a crackin hole.  Doglegging right around a ditch backed by heather, the approach is then hassled by a centreline bunker. Lobb moved the bunker front and centre as part of the recent project. It fits perfectly with the diagonal figure 8 shaped green sloping away from play.

Behind the green. The ditch can't be ignored!

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 11, 2024, 07:49:31 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ben Sims

Re: Bueno BLACKMOOR GC: 1-3
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2024, 11:41:13 AM »

This is one of the most attractive photos of a green site I have seen in awhile. I understand the desire for the texture of whispy bunker edges. But that’s not it. It’s the fact that the green is at grade, tilted high left to low right unapologetically with the slope of the land around, with a simple hazard concept. The small bump back right changes recoveries from that area. It really looks nice.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2024, 11:45:13 AM by Ben Sims »

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2024, 11:59:04 PM »

This is one of the most attractive photos of a green site I have seen in awhile. I understand the desire for the texture of whispy bunker edges. But that’s not it. It’s the fact that the green is at grade, tilted high left to low right unapologetically with the slope of the land around, with a simple hazard concept. The small bump back right changes recoveries from that area. It really looks nice.

Ben

Yes, a very cool green enhanced greatly by a simple bunker. Clever hole.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jim Sherma

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2024, 01:05:33 PM »
Engaging architecture does not have to be complicated, in fact the best usually isn't. A bit of tilt, a simple bunker that's best avoided, some firm conditions and that's all you really need to bring into play the pendulum of challenging something too closely for your own good versus bailing out too far to get up and down regularly.

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2024, 08:50:58 AM »
Blackmoor Tour Cont

Another simple hole, the 4th legs left around heather and remaining specicmen tree. The area was crowded with trees until recently.

A closer look at what I think is one of the best ways to showcase trees.

The approach.

The long, narrow green is tough to hit. The bunker on the left was recently removed to great effect.

An unusual hole, the 5th plays along a ditch on the right, but it can't be carried due to trees. The hole then turns sharply right.

The green is semi-ringed by a berm.

Blackmoor has two monster par 3s with raised greens; the first of which is the 6th.  Playing 200 uphill yards to a well guarded green is no joke.

Another bruiser, the 7th is 400 plus yards to a sloping green on high ground.

A par 5 legging right, the eight is reachable in two, but OoB lurks right and trees left. I nearly hit my second OoB, but was on the receiving end of a lucky bounce.   

Blackmoor isn't blessed with loads of space. Double duty features such as the tee being used for the bunkler as well is not uncommon. 

More to follow.

Ciao

jeffwarne

Re: Bueno BLACKMOOR GC: 1-8
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2024, 09:17:00 AM »
My goodness.
Incredible pictures.

I played Blackmoor 6-7 years ago.
It has improved mightily aesthetically. yet appears attractively and strategically simple and clean rather than eye candied to death.
I had to scroll quite a bit to find anything with more than a single bunker, and nothing resembling the nests of bunkers we see so often on moderns and resto-renovations

A great example of the embarrassment of riches in the UK, and the ease of a Portsmouth or Southampton base, with Hayling, Blackmoor, Liphook, Isle of Wight, Pullborough and all of the gems near Bournemouth(Ferndown ,Broadstone, Parkstone)to name just a few.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2024, 12:43:19 PM »
Buen Blackmoor

When the noun is masculine and singular, the o is dropped when the buen(o) precedes it.

rm
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2024, 01:46:45 PM »
Buen Blackmoor

When the noun is masculine and singular, the o is dropped when the buen(o) precedes it.

rm

Ron-With you continuing to act as the self appointed grammar and spelling czar of GCA you should practice what you preach as you continue to misspell Dev Emmet as Emmett with two t’s as evidenced by the recent Mohawk GC thread. Dev deserves better! Have a good Labor Day and go easy on the hott dogs. ;)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2024, 03:29:22 PM by Tim Martin »

Sean_A

!
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2024, 01:33:34 PM »
Jeff

You aren't wrong!

Blackmoor Tour Cont

The good holes and tremendous variety keeps on coming. The short 9th.

Another divine three-shotter, the 10th requires two forced carries as the hole turns right up the hill.

Colt was want to create big sloping forward greens for long approaches.

The bold doglegs are quite common at Balckmoor. They are a great success because there is space to choose shot shape. 

This dynamic par 69 package totals less than 6200 yards from the medal tees. 

Balanced against two huge par 3s are two shorties (9 & 12) of less than 150 yards. The 12th is a little beauty.

The greens too are of great interest.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 13, 2024, 03:13:33 AM by Sean_A »

Sean_A

Re: Bueno BLACKMOOR GC: 1-12
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2024, 08:49:24 AM »
Blackmoor Tour Cont

The three-shot 13th strikes me as a bit out of place. It certainly doesn't have the elegance of many other tee shots at Blackmoor.

The hole turns right after the bunkers. There is a wee ditch to be mindful of on the second shot.

Another good green, but a dubious cut line.

A problematic hole, the 14th is flat and features a pond down the right. The green sits at the base of the 15th & 12th tees (essentially a shared tee). Moving onto the 15th, I am less enamoured with this long par 3. With the large tree, bunker, rough and raised green it seems like a bit much for 200 yard hole. It takes a very good shot just to find a good layup position.

This is seriously difficult par 3.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 13, 2024, 03:15:31 AM by Sean_A »

Sean_A

Re: Bueno BLACKMOOR GC: 1-15
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2024, 07:49:20 AM »
Blackmoor Tour Cont

Another different look, the dead straight 16th isn't a long par 4, but the threat of heather lurks.

The final short hole is low key excellent. The 17th doesn't stand out only because the set of short holes is admirable.

Yet another polished hole, the 18th ends the game in a spirited manner. The down and up concept is as old as golf itself. Its a shame the new work didn't include shifting the path to the side of the hole.

There is a large drop-off right of the green.

Going long isn't a great option either.

Blackmoor just may be the biggest surprise encountered this year. I have long been interested in playing Blackmoor because of the Colt heritage, but I am disappointed that I didn't sniff out this course years ago...I now know. Blackmoor has so many riches that it behooves folks to stop by. The A3 is a treasure trove of golf riches. Storied clubs such as Hankley Common, Liphook, HIndhead, Burhill, St Georges Hill, The Wisley, Royal Wimbledon, Woking, Worplesdon, Coombe Hill and West Byfleet. I would happily add Blackmoor to this list. 1*  2024

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 13, 2024, 03:18:55 AM by Sean_A »

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Bueno BLACKMOOR GC
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2024, 06:17:28 AM »
Excellent tour thx.

Did you get the feeling the Club aren't bothered about being better known, or having more paying guests?
I have made enquiries in the past and the response was always cool "We couldn't accomodate you then".

They have always seemed to keep themselves to themselves.

One day...
Let's make GCA grate again!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2024, 06:26:40 AM »
Excellent tour thx.

Did you get the feeling the Club aren't bothered about being better known, or having more paying guests?
I have made enquiries in the past and the response was always cool "We couldn't accomodate you then".

One day...

I couldn't speak to that particular aspect, but they've always struck me as very progressive where marketing is concerned -- they have an excellent in-house marketing lady (I doubt it's her only job, but...) and when I visited for a media event at the start of this programme of work, they were very helpful in arranging for me to meet with the club historian to discuss what they know about Colt's work there.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: Today at 04:59:08 AM »
Excellent tour thx.

One day...

I had a chat with club big wigs after the round. I got the impression the club was keen to promote itself for the purpose of visitor play. The club seem to  mainly focus on societies previously. Perhaps things will change. One thing is certain, the greenfee will go up. Relatively speaking, Blackmoor is one of the better courses in the A3 corridor so it’s smart to raise the fee.

Adam…did you get the skinny on which holes are by Colt?

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back