News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Sweet

Myopia... similar?
« on: July 17, 2024, 03:32:56 PM »
Might be tough as the course is a hard one to get on so not many might have played it...
I cannot think of another course that I have played that is similar in style or bunkering.  Green surrounds, sizes, contours, little nothing bunkers almost hidden from view at times, odd shapes, 1/2 pars, pars and a half.  Truly unique place.  Any courses in the US that would be the most like it?

Tom_Doak

Re: Myopia... similar?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2024, 03:40:43 PM »
Garden City is cut from the same cloth, just on flatter land.  Maybe some of the courses in Maine, too.  They are a different scale of construction (hand built) and the clubs have not spent $$$ screwing that up.

Darragh Garrahy

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2024, 06:07:44 PM »
Good Q. I was blown away by how much I enjoyed Myopia last month in a 36 hole day of it and Essex. With only one play of each in my log file I'm reluctant to judge, but Myopia captured me much more than Essex. As previously mentioned, Garden City might fit the bill for a peer in style to Myopia.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2024, 08:22:13 PM »
After I played it, I thought of English Heathland courses. My wife thought it was one of the most fun courses she had played.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Will Spivey

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2024, 09:08:28 PM »
I LOVE Myopia Hunt Club; what a great place to spend the day (and one of the best logos in all of golf).

To my eye, the most similar course I've played to Myopia is Old Town. OTC is bigger, but the topography and textures are similar.

David Kelly

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2024, 11:04:19 PM »
The first two Par 3 holes each being more than half as long as the first two par 5 holes is an oddity of the scorecard that is not seen very often.   Wonderful place.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2024, 02:38:09 PM »
The first two Par 3 holes each being more than half as long as the first two par 5 holes is an oddity of the scorecard that is not seen very often.   Wonderful place.

How does that work for nine?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Paul Jones

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2024, 05:45:22 PM »
Do we still have the Rat and Plunger thread? EDITED: I found it - Rat and Toilet Plunger Club (Photo Tour) All holes posted (golfclubatlas.com)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2024, 05:47:52 PM by Paul Jones »
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Bill Gayne

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2024, 08:18:41 PM »
I don't know if Mike Strantz ever saw Myopia but I feel some Myopia in his work at Tobacco Road and Royal New Kent (not saying either of the courses are equivalent to Myopia).

Tal Oz

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2024, 11:40:40 PM »
Jon, I got to play Myopia in early in June. The course I was most reminded of was St George's on Long Island. Nicely rolling terrain, plenty of blindness, small quirky greens, trench bunkers, and plenty of fescue if you were wayward.  Myopia was an order or magnitude more difficult! I'm not sure I'd want to play there more than once a year, but I'm really glad golf has Myopia as a museum piece. It's a lens into what golf looked like early on in the US.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2024, 09:42:26 AM »
when attending the 2007 Walker Cup I got to know the then super at Chicago Golf who was there as a dedicated "raker" but ultimately as sort of confab of superintendants at USGA venues
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

David Kelly

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2024, 06:03:00 PM »

How does that work for nine?

It doesn't. I forgot about 9 and only remembered 3 and 16.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2024, 10:51:28 PM »
Wow! my Rat and Toilet Plunger photo tour still exists.

All my Photos were uploaded into "Photobucket" and then posted here. I have been getting email notifications from Photobucket for the last five months telling me that unless I pay a monthly subscription my account will be deleted. Last notification said my account is suspended. Used to be free.

All of my golf course photo tours were there and I shrugged it off thinking that most of my tours have been deleted anyway as taking up server space for Golfclubatlas.com.

So, surprised  to see it is still up there with photos.

On to Myopia Hunt. Tom Doak is correct that Garden City is similar. and on much flatter land, the Hampstead plain on Long Island, NY.  Also Kebo Valley in Bar Harbor, Maine was designed by Herbert Leeds and Ekwanok in Manchester, VT might evoke a similar response. The Palmetto Golf Club in Aiken, SC was routed and originally designed by Leeds but was revised by the "doctor" Alistair Mackenzie.

My friend who is a member's grandmother coined the "Rat and Toilet Plunger'" nickname for the club.

Oh, and my Christmas present from my wife last December was a "Rat and Toilet Plunger" golf bag in red and yellow, nice!

I wonder what other photo tours I posted are still up and have photos? Braid Hills in Edinburgh was one of my other favorites. Will check.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back