News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

I prefer the wider fairway with slope which places a premium on tee shot placement versus the tight fairway with rough and/or bunkers.

I’m watching 17 in the Solheim Cup as I write this.

Lexi hit iron and Ally hit hybrid—-yawn.
AKA Mayday

Erik J. Barzeski

Re: Wider sloping fairways versus narrow ones with deep rough Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2024, 05:58:26 PM »
I prefer the wider fairway with slope which places a premium on tee shot placement versus the tight fairway with rough and/or bunkers.
If the slope makes the fairways play effectively narrower, how is that much different than narrower but flatter fairways? Or are you just saying wider fairways with… a little slope? But not enough for them to play effectively narrower?

I think slopes in the fairway make the approach shots more interesting, of course.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

JohnVDB

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2024, 06:39:55 PM »
This past week I was at the US Women’s Mid-Amateur at Brae Burn CC in Newton, MA.  The 16th hole there is almost vertical from right to left.  They doubled the size of the first cut on the left because almost won’t stay in the fairway.  For the two days of stroke play only 6% of tee shots stayed in the fairway. Other than that tee shot it was a really good golf course.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2024, 06:42:50 PM »
If the slope makes the fairways play effectively narrower, how is that much different than narrower but flatter fairways? Or are you just saying wider fairways with… a little slope? But not enough for them to play effectively narrower?

I think slopes in the fairway make the approach shots more interesting, of course.

I would assume because the wider, sloping fairway rewards a shot shaped in a particular direction, which a narrow, flat fairway doesn't do?

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2024, 07:38:01 PM »
I’m trying to eliminate the flat fairway in this discussion since there isn’t much interest there although there can still be a proper side to be on. It doesn’t have to be severely sloped.

AKA Mayday

Mark_Fine

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2024, 08:27:55 PM »
What are you defining as flat?  Are the narrow fairways at The New Course at St Andrews flat?  Rumpled fairways without slope right to left or left to right can create a lot of interest.  Obviously dead flat fairways without much internal contour can but not always be boring.  Different courses like the very narrow New Course offer different challenges.  Most true links courses are at sea level and don’t offer severe slopes from side to side.  Some are wide and some are not.  I love all the variety. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back