News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: STONEHAVEN GC 1-14 New
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2024, 01:59:18 PM »
Stonehaven Tour Cont

Much like Painswick, Stonehaven is a hidden gem for its short holes. Neither course gets anywhere near the deserved kudos for their par 3s. The 15th is yet another quality hole.

Closer looks.

Behind the green.

Unfortunately, I don't care for 16 & 17. They play straight back toward the house via heavily sloping right to left fairways. To make matters worse, the 16th has a bunker front-right of the green. Nevermind, 18 uses the same slope, but more imaginatively. Most will have to figure out the left kick between bunkers or possibly face death along the graveyard wall...or worse, a headstone.

Stonehaven was very much meant as a trip filler course and it earns high marks as such. There is a lot of golf to like, the scenery is sublime and the price is right. With one All-Scotland candidate in the 14th Stonehaven certainly has serious high water marks. Holes such as 3, 6, 7, 9, 11 & 12 help the cause greatly.  I will certainly add Stonehaven to my return list as it comfortably makes my Happy 100. I can perhaps make the effort to pick up a fried Mars bar at one of the fish and chip shops in town.  2024

Ciao
« Last Edit: Today at 03:50:10 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back