News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

STONEHAVEN GC New
« on: July 31, 2024, 10:53:27 AM »
Situated on a cliff above Skatie Shore some 15 miles south of Aberdeen, Stonehaven GC has long been a presence in the Aberdeenshire golf scene. The club was founded in 1888. By 1897 a new course was designed with the clubhouse now situated not far off the A92. The old clubhouse chimney still remains near the spectacular 7th tee. It is thought Archie Simpson, George Duncan and James Braid had a hand in the various designs over many years. I don’t know the definitive answer to the designer of record question, but it was a highly economical effort. The site is surely less than 75 acres and yes, hole crossovers are the magic design ingredient. The holes were recently renumbered. It now takes three clear trips to the cliffs rather than two. This is probably a better way to experience the property. The course is made up of parklandish holes on the inland side of the tracks, meadowy sloping holes near the tracks on the seaside and cliff hugging holes. There is probably a case to be made that a course with fewer than 18 holes would likely yield a better result, but it is true there are holes of merit on all three sections. We played the 4804 tees…par 66…seven short holes…one par 5. I don’t think there is much doubt that most of the highlight holes are par 3s.   

In truth, Stonehaven was included in this tour of Aberdeenshire because Newburgh on Ythan GC were up to sheenanigans with their pricing.  I wanted to give the club some support because I knew they were recently on hard times, but you know, marketing, pr etc etc and the conversation ended quickly. Remembering Stonehaven was very hospitable on a trip some 20 years prior, I gave the club a call. No problem. Tee time booked for far less money.

Old Numbering Map

New Map

There is no time to waste with the cross-over holes. The drive down the 1st crosses the 18th. A lovely way to start the game, but the run-away green does make the approach angle matter.

Things get serious in a hurry on the 2nd...the first of seven short holes. The carry isn't onerous, but it is a carry.

The carry.

Certainly one of Stonehaven's better holes, the 3rd heads up a steep hill along the boundary on Craigeven Bay to the right. There is nothing but space to the left as the fairway is shared with the 17th.  The fairway slopes madly toward the sea; mercifully, the fairways aren't cut too short....very sensible maintenance.

Obviously, the further one bails left, the more difficult the approach.

Another uphill hole, the blind second on the 4th is surprisingly difficult.

5-7 form a loop to the far north of the property at Garron Point and back. All the holes are good and cover a measely 552 yards (in praise of yellow tees!).  The uphill 5th is on the left and 6th on the right. The 5th is very reachable, but OoB lurks left.

Another daunting short hole, the 6th plays quite a bit downhill and there is trouble behind the green.

A closer look.

The front bunker is a bit savage.

A look at the green from the 5th tee. The 7th tee is on the right.

Another bit of drama on the 7th. Not many courses pack in the high intensity holes quite like Stonehaven does. 

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: Today at 03:39:39 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth & Old Barnwell

Simon Barrington

Re: The Seashore of STONEHAVEN GC 1-7
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2024, 01:12:32 PM »
Hi Sean

George Duncan, Open Champion 1920 and of no practice swings fame, was (according to a profile on the Club's Website) a "novice professional" who came from honing his game at Royal Aberdeen to Stonehaven in 1901 at the age of 18 years old, and stayed a year before moving South for other opportunities. Eventually he was Pro at Hangar Hill (home of Dunn's bonker's bunkering) and subsequently Wentworth in Surrey.

I've not come across a great deal of design work by Duncan, and what I have seen understandably tends to be much later (he was only 18 when at Stonehaven after all, so an unlikely GCA child-prodigy.

I believe Duncan joined Braid on a trip to Millport for matches post Braid's changes (commissioned in 1911) in1913 (possibly due to illness of JHT) where some give him credit for assisting Braid's 1913 redesign, which they were "opening", so I was not sure what he can have done there tbh.

But in digging deeper it seems that Braid actually designed a second No.2 Course of 18-Holes post that visit, so perhaps some Duncan advice was included in that? It opened in June 1914, but closed for War in 1916 and in 1920 re-opend as a 9-Holer. A reservoir was built in 1924 over 5 of those 9-holes and the remainder became a "pitch & putt". So little to nothing left, if any was there in the first place, of Duncan involvement at all.

I also have read about Wheatley (Doncaster) c.1934 which certainly has good provenance for Duncan.

Lastly, there was a thread on here from the late Tom MacWood, that pours cold water on Duncan's supposed involvement at Royal Dornoch:
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=4303.0

To return to the dramatic carries & vistas of Stonehaven -

At the time young Duncan was at Stonehaven in 1901/2902 the course was 18-holes (c.4820 yards) having recently been extended (from the 1888 layout of 9-Holes) c. 1898, most probably by Archie Simpson (then Pro at Royal Aberdeen).

Later c.1904 the Club added another 20 Acres of land on the other side of the railway line.

It is said that James Braid and his old friend from Elie, Archie Simpson made recommendations having played in a match against each other there in August 1906. The work was said to have been done by the the Stonehaven Professional Alex Simpson, another of the six Simpson Brothers.

A June 1907 Newspaper Advert for the Stonehaven Bay Hotel states "18-Hole Golf Course recently greatly improved under directions of James Braid"

"The Scotsman" in Sept 1907 had an article about Stonehaven, stating:
"Acting on the Advice of James Braid and Archie Simpson, who visited the course a year ago, the club has recently addd a number of artificial hazards to those which Nature has supplied."

And continuing with some charm to say (as one can clearly see from your Tour Photos):

"From start to finish the player is practically between the devil - in the shape of the railway, which intersects the course - and the deep sea...At several of the holes the tees are perched on the crest of projecting headlands, and a slice sends the ball bounding over the rocks into the sea below."

By 1910 the course was quoted as being "about 3 miles" (ie. c.5280 yards) with the Bogey Score being 77, and "Nisbet" commented "the course has been considerably improved"

Cheers

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2024, 02:44:29 AM »
George Duncan, Open Champion 1920 and of no practice swings fame, was (according to a profile on the Club's Website) a "novice professional" who came from honing his game at Royal Aberdeen to Stonehaven in 1901 at the age of 18 years old, and stayed a year before moving South for other opportunities.

Not even a year, just one summer.

He was unhappy at having to mow the holes in front of the clubhouse, as well as his Professional duties.

Sean_A

STONEHAVEN GC 1-7
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2024, 02:56:45 AM »
George Duncan, Open Champion 1920 and of no practice swings fame, was (according to a profile on the Club's Website) a "novice professional" who came from honing his game at Royal Aberdeen to Stonehaven in 1901 at the age of 18 years old, and stayed a year before moving South for other opportunities.

He was unhappy at having to mow the holes in front of the clubhouse, as well as his Professional duties.

Brian

What was the old hole numbering?

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 07, 2024, 01:16:42 AM by Sean_A »

Simon Barrington

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2024, 02:58:12 AM »
Thanks Brian, doesn't sound like a young man interested in GCA...in a hurry to get away rather than leave his mark it seems

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2024, 03:34:28 AM »

Ciao

Sorry, struggling to embed from my usual place, at the moment.

https://flic.kr/p/2q7pBYc

Sean_A

STONEHAVEN GC 1-7
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2024, 04:37:20 AM »

Ciao

Sorry, struggling to embed from my usual place, at the moment.

https://flic.kr/p/2q7pBYc

Thanks Brian. So the old 14th is no longer? Was it shortened? Does this explain the mat tee?

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 07, 2024, 01:17:19 AM by Sean_A »

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2024, 05:41:12 AM »
Thanks Brian, doesn't sound like a young man interested in GCA...in a hurry to get away rather than leave his mark it seems

Simon

Surely you're confusing greenkeeping with design ? Duncan certainly wasn't the only golf professional/gca who balked at greenkeeping duties. How much labouring on the course did Braid do at Romford or Walton Heath ? Did that make him less of a gca ?

Niall 

Simon Barrington

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2024, 07:02:53 AM »
"Thanks Brian, doesn't sound like a young man interested in GCA...in a hurry to get away rather than leave his mark it seems
Simon"

"Surely you're confusing greenkeeping with design ? Duncan certainly wasn't the only golf professional/gca who balked at greenkeeping duties. How much labouring on the course did Braid do at Romford or Walton Heath ? Did that make him less of a gca ?
Niall "

Not really, depends on the role and his "novice professional' contract.

If one was genuinely interested in GCA at the age of 18 having GK experience would be seen as a great, and possibly a necessary thing.
Recall that he honed his game at Royal Aberdeen under Archie Simpson, who was of that mind/experience.

At that time that was the path...Alan Robertson, OTM, Simpson, D Ross etc....we are discussing a time before, or on the cusp of, the advent of the Oxbridge Architects

GCA is not for every player of skill (nor should it be, and some would argue skill is an impediment) and Duncan didn't go on to much GCA of any real note (see above).

But, he was rightly lauded for his instructional expertise and eye for spotting swing faults...as well of course for his playing talent which was hugely impressive, his 69 round Royal St George's in 1922 is rightly noted as one of the great Open rounds of all time, even despite him not prevailing.

We can get far too segmented and binary about roles (and everything) these days, back then there was far more movement between and understanding of other facets of the great game (sometimes by necessity).

Why do those studying to be GCA's take classes and seek experience in; agronomy, landscape architecture, and construction/shaping if it was not relevant today, as it was then too.

Not sure why another (loaded) reference to JB, but I will look into his GK experience out of personal interest, I don't think he had such responsibilities at either Club...but as an inquisitive chap I will run off down another NC rabbit-hole...  ;D

Cheers!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2024, 08:14:06 AM by Simon Barrington »

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2024, 07:59:29 AM »

Thanks Brian. So the old 14th is no longer? Was it shortened? Does this explain the mat tee?

Ciao

The old 14th (6th) is still there, its just that it has two tees nowadays.

The clifftop tee that you would have played from, was added a few years back by the Greenkeeper, and has the yellow tees.

The Whites (Medal) tees, and Red (Ladies) are back on the original tee.

The new tee does away with a cross hole, a completely blind hole, and groups hitting into each other.

It can get very congested over there, some days.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2024, 03:00:03 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2024, 09:15:20 AM »
The mention of Stonehaven brings swirling fire balls at New Year to mind.
See - https://stonehavenfireballs.com/

Atb

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2024, 11:46:46 AM »

Atb

Once upon a time, it was one of the favourite nights of the year, nowadays ....  :-X

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2024, 12:01:32 PM »

Atb
Once upon a time, it was one of the favourite nights of the year, nowadays ....  :-X
Sorry to hear it’s not what it once was, which was a pretty amazing sight. And you could feel the heat as the fireballs passed by.
Atb

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2024, 12:42:58 PM »
Sorry to hear it’s not what it once was, which was a pretty amazing sight. And you could feel the heat as the fireballs passed by.
Atb

All the Tourists would disagree with me.

Sean_A

STONEHAVEN GC 1-7
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2024, 02:18:19 PM »

Ciao

The old 14th (6th) is still there, its just that it has two tees nowadays.

The clifftop tee that you would have played from, was added a few years back by the Greenkeeper, and has the yellow tees.

The Whites (Medal) tees, and Red (Ladies) are back on the original tee.

The new tee does away with a cross hole, a completely blind hole, and groups hitting into each other.

It can get very congested over there, some days.

Brian

Thank you.

Stonehaven Tour Cont.

We now cross under the railroad tracks for four holes. I admit to previously not thinking much of these holes before, but I was wrong. The four holes are quite different from each other as well. That said, I didn't care much for the 8th; a bit of a slog over a small hill. Although, the woodland orangutan is cool.

9 plays over a hill, but to a much more interesting green location.

Back up the hill for 10. I am a somewhat surprised the tee isn't further left to create a fake dogleg playing away from the OoB.

A nasty hole, it is very easy lose the pill OoB on the 11th. The green sits on a bit of a humpback. Most will have to take on the OoB to hit the green in two....very good hole. 

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 07, 2024, 01:20:13 AM by Sean_A »

Sean_A

Re: STONEHAVEN GC 1-11
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2024, 05:44:10 PM »
Stonehaven Tour Cont

Back on the sea side of the tracks, the 12th does some terrific jiggery pokery by crossing the 17th & 4th! The hole is downhill playing straight to the sea. With OoB on the right, it is easy to get caught left in a sort of no-man's land.

A Pete Dye like volcano bunker protects the left side of the green. The bump does the job fine, no need for sand in this position.

A very odd short hole follows. The tee is set near the shore with the blind green in no man's land valley. We played a temp tee on top of the hill. I noticed a new green built near the proper tee which wasn't opened for play. I am not sure how it is planned to be used.

The 2nd of three short holes in a row, the 14th must be a candidate for All-Scotland.

There is a bail-out option left, but it requires a good shot to earn a proper angle for the recovery. Anything too long is not advisable.

Rudimentary, but extremely effective design.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 07, 2024, 05:46:48 PM by Sean_A »

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2024, 02:52:43 AM »

A very odd short hole follows. The tee is set near the shore with the blind green in no man's land valley. We played a temp tee on top of the hill. I noticed a new green built near the proper tee which wasn't opened for play. I am not sure how it is planned to be used.

It is a new hole to replace that very odd short hole.

(I keep meaning to take some photos)

It will play across the present 13th (old 6th) towards the sea.

This has pleased all those that hated the 13th (old 6th).

I never had a problem with the hole, but then I always took note of the wind direction, as it really funnels along that small valley the green sits in, instead of just whinging that it's blind  ::)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 02:55:15 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2024, 04:07:59 AM »

It is a new hole to replace that very odd short hole.

(I keep meaning to take some photos)

It will play across the present 13th (old 6th) towards the sea.

This has pleased all those that hated the 13th (old 6th).

I never had a problem with the hole, but then I always took note of the wind direction, as it really funnels along that small valley the green sits in, instead of just whinging that it's blind  ::)

Thanks Brian

Where will the tee be and how long will the hole be? Hopefully the walk to the tee isn’t long!

I see why the club wants use the boundary for the hole. All the other short holes use the boundaries quite well.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 02:08:16 PM by Sean_A »

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2024, 01:31:48 PM »

Thanks Brian

Where will the tee be and how long will the hole be? Hopefully the the walk to the tee isn’t long!

I see why the club wants use the boundary for the hole. All the other short holes use the boundaries quite well.

Ciao

The tee will be behind the 12th green (old 5th)

Niall C

Re: STONEHAVEN GC 1-14
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2024, 06:36:47 PM »
Brian

So where will the new 14th tee be and what green will it play to ? Will the current 13th and 14th become a single hole ?

Niall

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2024, 03:18:50 AM »
Brian

So where will the new 14th tee be and what green will it play to ? Will the current 13th and 14th become a single hole ?

Niall

14th will remain the same.

13th will be a new Par 3 playing from the back of the 12th green towards the cliffs to a new green.

Although there was a green there before many years ago, and one on the sea shore below it (Wish they would bring that hole back  ;) )

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2024, 04:37:00 AM »
Brian

Niall

14th will remain the same.

13th will be a new Par 3 playing from the back of the 12th green towards the cliffs to a new green.

Although there was a green there before many years ago, and one on the sea shore below it (Wish they would bring that hole back  ;) )

Sounds like the new hole has more than half a chance of being better than the current 13th. Although, I don’t mind the 13th, but the bunkers are a waste of money.

Ciao

Thomas Dai

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2024, 11:34:27 AM »
The smaller archway under the railway that leads to/from the 4 extra holes would appear to be considerably older than the wider bridge under the railway near the new Clubhouse. Was the smaller archway once the main entry/exit point to the course, the route which once led to the old Clubhouse by the now 7th Green?
Atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2024, 04:32:12 PM »
I had the privilege of playing there(33 pounds right off the website) late last month as my second round of the day after a dew sweeping "Game #1" round at Montrose in the Senior Open Qualifier.
What a wonderful place to be on a beautiful day. Fantastic views, some really cool holes and yes a few clunkers that make you think maybe 12-14 holes might've been perfect.
But a blast to play.
I will say i was walking pretty slowly carrying my bag up some of the hills later in the day, especially the fantastic par 3 14th.
Great value-great memories.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2024, 04:08:57 AM »
Brian

I note the club lists a 9 hole rate in the winter. Which holes are played and how does it work with people playing 18?

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back