News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Sweet

Yale???
« on: July 31, 2024, 02:06:45 PM »
Anyone heard much out of the renovation at Yale?  I have seen a bit of the plans while digging into the proposals put forth to the community.  Curious to see if anyone has been on site or seen more of the plans.  Also curious about an opening date as it seems fairly quiet online.  The GM there is always fantastic via email so I might try that route.

Tim_Weiman

Re: Yale???
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2024, 03:20:34 PM »
Anyone heard much out of the renovation at Yale?  I have seen a bit of the plans while digging into the proposals put forth to the community.  Curious to see if anyone has been on site or seen more of the plans.  Also curious about an opening date as it seems fairly quiet online.  The GM there is always fantastic via email so I might try that route.

Jon,

I can’t offer anything, but also can’t help feeling it is sad that Geoff Childs isn’t still here to see the work. He had a genuine love for the Yale course.

Tim
Tim Weiman

Tim Martin

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2024, 03:37:45 PM »
It’s very difficult to get on the property unless you are connected to the project.

Jon Sweet

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2024, 09:15:54 AM »
Received an update from the GM, all is going well, no pictures to share, they anticipate a mid 2026 opening date.  Hoping for the best as the course and property are both absolutely fantastic.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2024, 09:35:32 AM »
I have seen it and I am very excited about it.  Going to be a great project and really elevate the exceptional MacDonald/Raynor course.
I am also excited about two other things--the hopefully enhanced commitment to maintenance and the movement toward more of a national daily-fee course operating model, more open to knowledgeable golf architecture fans while enhancing the primary commitment to the golf teams and others connected to the University.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2024, 10:17:25 AM »
Jim,

Hopefully, Tommy Naccarato will get a chance to see the course when the work is finished. Thanks to Geoff Childs as host, Mike Sweeney and I got to witness Tommy’s famous “tough love” dressing down of the Yale brass for their less than stellar care of the course.

It was classic.
Tim Weiman

John Blain

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2024, 10:23:03 AM »
Does anyone know why it is taking so long to do this renovation? I'm not sure I've ever heard of a course renovation taking this amount of time.  Oak Hill built three new holes along with everything else a renovation entails like tree removal, drainage, bunkers, etc. and they completed the entire job in 8 months.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2024, 10:58:40 AM »
Does anyone know why it is taking so long to do this renovation? I'm not sure I've ever heard of a course renovation taking this amount of time.  Oak Hill built three new holes along with everything else a renovation entails like tree removal, drainage, bunkers, etc. and they completed the entire job in 8 months.

I have to figure that the decision-making process is not as streamlined as it might be.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2024, 12:21:39 PM »

I have to figure that the decision-making process is not as streamlined as it might be.

And not your typical incentives either.

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2024, 03:54:55 PM »
Tim, I hope to sometime soon, get to Yale to drop off some of Geoff’s ashes.  I will let you know when that happens.  We’ll be making the rounds of course!  Yale, Split Rock, Fenway and Friar’s Head, then the rest is off to California where he’ll get to revisit his times in the Golden State!  I miss Dr. Childs immensely!

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2024, 05:07:47 PM »
Regarding Yale, I’m limited to what I can say due to NDA but to let ALL know, Gil, Ben Hillard, Russ Myers and Cavemen, Tanner & Brett are doing a great job!  I think all will be happy the day it reopens!

MLevesque

I am Skew!

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2024, 06:49:18 PM »
Tim, I hope to sometime soon, get to Yale to drop off some of Geoff’s ashes.  I will let you know when that happens.  We’ll be making the rounds of course!  Yale, Split Rock, Fenway and Friar’s Head, then the rest is off to California where he’ll get to revisit his times in the Golden State!  I miss Dr. Childs immensely!

Tommy,

Give me notice and I will try to meet you.

Hope you are well.

Tim
Tim Weiman

Michael Morandi

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2024, 08:02:03 PM »
I have seen it and I am very excited about it.  Going to be a great project and really elevate the exceptional MacDonald/Raynor course.
I am also excited about two other things--the hopefully enhanced commitment to maintenance and the movement toward more of a national daily-fee course operating model, more open to knowledgeable golf architecture fans while enhancing the primary commitment to the golf teams and others connected to the University.

Have they set up a maintenance endowment to supplement fee revenue so proper maintenance is guaranteed?  I don’t trust Ivy League boards/presidents to support golf.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2024, 09:22:40 AM »

Have they set up a maintenance endowment to supplement fee revenue so proper maintenance is guaranteed?  I don’t trust Ivy League boards/presidents to support golf.

Michael,

It goes beyond golf, especially with Yale. Their Kiphuth Exhibition Pool is a beautiful facility, but probably 50 years out of date as far as current swimming pool design.

Past members of their swimming program has been trying for decades to build something new and comparable to their competitors in the Ivy League, but no dice. No support from the school.

It will take an alum to cover the entire cost for the potential project to even be considered.

Princeton built a modern 50 meter pool thanks to funding by a Wall Street alum.
Tim Weiman

MLevesque

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2024, 12:56:16 PM »

My understanding of the initial project was $15M was earmarked for the restoration and $10M endowment for maintenance.
I am Skew!

Adam G

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2024, 03:38:02 PM »
The donors who gave the money are not stupid enough to give the money to restore it without a maintenance endowment.

They were probably also asked to give to every school or department instead before Yale accepted the donation for the golf course.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2024, 03:59:03 PM »
Yes, there will be an endowment for maintenance.

Michael Morandi

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2024, 05:07:42 PM »
The donors who gave the money are not stupid enough to give the money to restore it without a maintenance endowment.

They were probably also asked to give to every school or department instead before Yale accepted the donation for the golf course.

Good to hear about the maintenance endowment and, yes, Yale and their peer institutions require approval from the development office before large sums can be directed to non-priority projects.

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2024, 01:11:25 AM »

Tommy,

Give me notice and I will try to meet you.

Hope you are well.

Tim

Tim, Absolutely!  We’ll try to celebrate Neil as well that trip!

ward peyronnin

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2024, 10:55:41 AM »
What I really remember is the very "clean" presentation with which Fraserburgh guides one around. Little or no gorse and the dedicated use of a sea grass for "native" areas display a unified and pleasing consistency of flora to the player and thus little distractoin from the  thrilling landforms and clever lines of play.The second thing are the dashes, and I mean small dashes , of wildflower clumps that dleight and surprise the looper.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back