News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Is Carnoustie flatter than Troon?
« on: July 26, 2024, 10:43:12 AM »
I have not played either one. Watching the Open on TV this past weekend I thought Troon, which is characterized as a flat course, had more contours and slopes than I was expecting. Watching the Senior Open yesterday & today, Carnoustie looks to be flatter. Is that the case? 

Pierre_C

Re: Is Carnoustie flatter than Troon?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2024, 10:48:58 AM »
Yes... after the 1st & 2nd holes, the remaining holes are basically flat.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 11:20:15 AM by Pierre_C »
(2^82589933) - 1

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2024, 11:08:00 AM »
Yes, Carnoustie is flatter.  Less undulation in the fairways, and smaller dunes around it.  As Pierre says, really you are done with elevation change once you walk down off the 3rd tee, although there is a little bit on 14 & 15.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2024, 12:16:10 PM »
I've played both and as best I can recall, Carnoustie is flatter.  But what does "flatter" mean.  Elevation change is one thing.  Fairway humps, bumps, swales, etc. are another.  My recollection is that Troon had more of the humps, bumps, swales, etc.  Though both had little elevation change, I believe Troon had somewhat more.  I'm remembering now from one round at each course 20+ years ago on different visits to Scotland from the USA.  These are "must play" courses, obviously, although as recreational golfer I'd have no interest in playing either course day in and day out.  Carnoustie was a slog from the back tees (not the championship tees) at about 6,900 yards, which we were required to play the day of our visit.

Frank M

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2024, 04:35:53 PM »
I haven't actually played Carnoustie, but from what I've seen on TV and in photos, I love the look of the place. I just wish they would widen the fairways a bit more.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2024, 07:01:26 PM »
I have played both and thinking back what I think is unique with these courses and other "flat" courses in Scotland is that the greens do not feel like the push-up greens we have in the US.  No doubt they are raised but just don't feel like you are always adding yardage for the push-up characteristic of the green.

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2024, 09:17:31 AM »
Carnoustie is indeed flatter. The only real natural dune systems are the dunes on either side of the 2nd hole and right-hand side of the 3rd with the 3rd tee supposedly being the highest point on the course. Quite a lot of the other raised areas are man made such as the area between the 18th green and first tee, mounding to back of the first and 3rd greens, the raised area in front of the 15th green and possibly the raised area in front of the 12th (can't recall specifically on that one). The fairways are however fairly flat although with plenty of rumple.

Niall

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2024, 10:43:57 AM »
While they rarely come into play, Carnoustie has far more trees on the property than you see on most links.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2024, 01:46:54 PM »
Carnoustie has to be the winner of the ‘Links Most Removed From The Sea’ award. Panmure and Monifieth might run it close though! The ninth green must be well over a kilometre from the beach. You can at least hear the sea from the Course, but that’s about it.
All that land in Barry Links (the big triangle to the left/south of Hogan’s Alley) is MOD and used as ranges for live fire exercises. The land looks spectacular from afar, but it’s probably stuffed full of unexploded ordnance and is a Special Area of Conservation, so we’re extremely unlikely to ever see a golf course there!  ;D
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2024, 01:55:15 PM »
Lytham must run it close among The Open venues? Maybe 14th green.

This is in answer to Marty, not the original question.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2024, 11:47:48 AM »
Are you all watching this? Here we are mid-July and our Links Courses are Emerald Green. It’s been a stupidly wet Spring and Summer so far.
 >:(
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Niall C

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2024, 12:44:58 PM »
FBD

When they did the overhead aerials you got a glimpse of the Buddon course and it didn't look nearly as emerald green as the championship course. I suspect they used a touch more water/fertiliser to make sure the championship course was in tip top condition but then I'm no agronomy expert.

Niall

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2024, 11:09:29 AM »
Are you all watching this? Here we are mid-July and our Links Courses are Emerald Green. It’s been a stupidly wet Spring and Summer so far.
 >:(
F.

Marty,

"Stupidly wet" is also how I would describe many courses here in the middle of the desert, with daily temps reaching 100+ degrees, and you arrive at the 1st tee to find a wet emerald green course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back