News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Marshall

Monroe Golf Club in Rochester NY
« on: July 25, 2024, 08:47:40 PM »
Had the chance to play Monroe the day before their annual tournament with a field of mostly elite college players this week. They have done some extensive tree removal and the results are amazing. The views across the course are spectacular. If you are in Rochester and can get access don’t pass up the opportunity.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

archie_struthers

Re: Monroe Golf Club in Rochester NY
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2024, 10:53:07 PM »
 8)

My good friend Pat Gertner grew up at Monroe Golf Club and eventually became the superintendent at Pine Valley after Dick Bator. He eventually left but not for lack of talent and Rick Christian replaced him!  All three of these guys helped me build the 16th green at Greate Bay GC in Somers Point NJ. in 1999. 

Pat often told me that Monroe wasn't that far below Oak Hill in quality and he would know.

John Blain

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2024, 10:06:46 AM »
Had the chance to play Monroe the day before their annual tournament with a field of mostly elite college players this week. They have done some extensive tree removal and the results are amazing. The views across the course are spectacular. If you are in Rochester and can get access don’t pass up the opportunity.
Rob-
That is good to hear about Monroe. I don't think I have played it in probably 10 years or more but always liked the course.
A couple of their members who you and I know very well (initials JK and MM ;) ) told me a few years ago that they went too far with the tree removal. I didn't believe it so it's good to hear from you how good it is.
Gil Hanse did the restoration but I believe Tyler Rae is now the consulting architect. I think Gil had too much on his plate.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2024, 11:56:53 AM »
8)

My good friend Pat Gertner grew up at Monroe Golf Club and eventually became the superintendent at Pine Valley after Dick Bator. He eventually left but not for lack of talent and Rick Christian replaced him!  All three of these guys helped me build the 16th green at Greate Bay GC in Somers Point NJ. in 1999. 

Pat often told me that Monroe wasn't that far below Oak Hill in quality and he would know.

Archie is Pat still at Pine Valley?

Rob Marshall

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2024, 11:58:47 AM »
Rob-
That is good to hear about Monroe. I don't think I have played it in probably 10 years or more but always liked the course.
A couple of their members who you and I know very well (initials JK and MM ;) ) told me a few years ago that they went too far with the tree removal. I didn't believe it so it's good to hear from you how good it is.
Gil Hanse did the restoration but I believe Tyler Rae is now the consulting architect. I think Gil had too much on his plate.

JK left Monroe. They have a few more to go but they are taking out every pine tree on the course.

John Blain

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2024, 03:08:26 PM »
Rob-

JK left Monroe. They have a few more to go but they are taking out every pine tree on the course.
Come to think of it I do remember someone telling me that he left the club which was hard for me to believe considering he had been there his entire life. Knowing him I am sure there is a story involving his departure.
Great news about the ugly pine trees. It's an awful tree for a golf course. One thing about pine trees is you know one thing for sure is that they were planted by members and not an architect. Get rid of them! Every. Single. One.

PGertner

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2024, 09:27:24 AM »
It is good to see the Board of Governors at Monroe finally "get it." I was Supt between 1988 and 2003, and tried to get a tree removal program started. Monroe has stunning land movement, has beautiful green sites is one of Donald Ross' best designs yet views were completely blocked out and polluted with hundreds of trees including many huge Christmas trees planted by 1960's and 1970's Boards of Governors.

Better late than never! Thrilled they got it right.

Patrick Gertner

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2024, 03:30:33 PM »
The new course record of 60 was set earlier today by Clark Van Gaalen.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2024, 08:01:08 PM »
The new course record of 60 was set earlier today by Clark Van Gaalen.

Members play it as a par 72. Kids as a par 70. I played the “pro am” Tuesday with a kid from Ohio State who shot the easiest 65 I’ve ever seen. They play a different game.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2024, 08:29:39 PM »
It is good to see the Board of Governors at Monroe finally "get it." I was Supt between 1988 and 2003, and tried to get a tree removal program started. Monroe has stunning land movement, has beautiful green sites is one of Donald Ross' best designs yet views were completely blocked out and polluted with hundreds of trees including many huge Christmas trees planted by 1960's and 1970's Boards of Governors.

Better late than never! Thrilled they got it right.

Patrick Gertner

Pat,
The goal according to my buddy Dana is to have every pine tree removed by the end of the next year or the year after if I remember correctly.

John Foley

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2024, 09:26:42 PM »
Had a walk around on Friday and the tree clearing looks fantastic, though they still have a ways to go! Love the new short grass areas around many of the greens. Much better than the heavy rough from years past.

It was interesting watching them n the breeze on Frida. It definitely had an affect as they struggled on a few holes (16 for one) on how to get the ball close to the hole. Creativity seemed to be missing from m0re than a few.

A 60 is just crazy.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back