News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Even Brora's Going Upscale!
« on: December 11, 2003, 08:39:31 PM »
There is an article on the website for the Northern Times, the newspaper of the Highlands, reporting that the owners of the Links Hotel overlooking the Brora golf course are going to tear down the hotel and build 23 luxury apartments in its place. They clearly state they wish to encourage international visitors to come to East Sutherland.  Somehow, I have a feeling those little electric wires around the greens at Brora (and the sheep & cows on the course) are not going to be there too much longer.

www.northern-times.co.uk  

Norbert P

Re:Even Brora's Going Upscale!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 11:50:40 PM »
  When I was there a year and a half ago, I saw more 'House For Sale' signs in Brora than anywhere else in Scotland.  I assumed it had something to do with an oil boon and bust.
  Is there really a market for upcale apartments up there?

I just hope they don't start charging a greens fee for "The Other Gleneagles" there in Brora.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Neal_Meagher

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 12:25:05 AM »
David,

I'm with you in your desire for the essential elements of Brora to remain in place vis a vis the electric fencing, sheep and cattle.  It is truly an anachronism that deserves to continue as so many others of its ilk haven't.

Yet, I must agree with the inimitable Mr. Powell in his assessment of the Links Hotel, having just stayed there for a couple of nights this past June and having the opportunity to talk with him on a few occasions and to play Royal Dornoch with his son.  If you can recall the opening scenes of "GET SMART" with Maxwell Smart going through one set of doors after another, that is the current state of the Links Hotel due to strict fire regulations.  There are literally fire doors about every 60' in the hallways and the general state of the place is one of a dowager gone bad.  Yet, the views and the setting is stunning and I can understand their yearning to take advantage of that setting.

The Royal Marine is by far the one they should maintain and continue to enhance, even though it does not share the obvious seaside setting as the Links, it is far more elegant.

I must also say that, along with Prestwick, Brora displays the true essence of golf more than any other place I have ever seen.  Braid did a bang-up job there on a superb piece of land.  While it will never host the Open, it just has a real feel to it that would be difficult to replicate in almost any other place.  So, I can understand the quandry of luxury flats being built in such a place, but economics are economics.  

Perhaps the esteemed Mr. Goodale could grace this topic with his thoughts and viewpoints.
The purpose of art is to delight us; certain men and women (no smarter than you or I) whose art can delight us have been given dispensation from going out and fetching water and carrying wood. It's no more elaborate than that. - David Mamet

www.nealmeaghergolf.com

LKoonce

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 01:26:59 AM »
David:

I sincerely hope that you're wrong that the spectre of luxury apartments at Brora meaning changes to the course itself.  I suspect that you may be overestimating the impact of the developers' plans -- my sense is that the club's membership values the links as they are and would not move in a direction that is drastically out of character with the history of the course (not that 24 brand spanking new apartments is going to ADD anything to Brora's character).  

That being said, I have no doubt that there are ongoing efforts being made to make this "hidden gem" more widely known.  The Highland economy depends heavily on tourism, and Brora is no exception --  nor is this anything new.  I have on my shelf an old Scottish travelogue written in 1947 that says "Northward on the coast lies Brora, with its famous salmon-fishing and golf-course which attract more visitors than the little town can conveniently hold..."  Well, at the very least, I guess there now will be 24 luxury flats to hold some of them.

Funny how an article about 24 apartments being built on a golf course practically anywhere in the US would be met with surprise at how the developers were exercising such restraint in building so few units...

By the way, the fight for tourism dollars and to make visitors more comfortable at the more remote courses is not limited to Brora.  A recent article on efforts at Machrihanish:

http://www.hie.co.uk/welcome.asp.LocID-newabe.htm

ForkaB

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 04:47:26 AM »
Brora has always been relatively "upscale."  I'd say the demography of its membership is not much different than Dornoch's.  It has always been a very popular summer resort for the English, many of whom have summer homes there, already.

I doubt if the new flats will be any more or less obtrusive than is the Links Hotel, which as Neal says, has seen better days.  The 6 townhouses built to the north of it in 1996 (referred to in the article) blend in pretty well.  I don't think they will have much trouble selling the flats.

As for the sheep and the cows, that is an issue more of local politics than yuppification.  I do think that the club (which is controlled by the locals) does want to terminate the right of the crofter to use the land, but I am not sure that this would not be a good thing for the course.  Yes, it would take away some of the quirk, but it will improve its playability and maintainability.  Should the club maintain an anachronism just to please the whimsies of its occasional visitors?  I'm sure some would argue yes, but isn't that being a bit selfish?

As others have said, local economics is a driving factor, and Brora is not a particularly wealthy place.  It's main employer (a woolen mill) has closed down, and upscale tourism is probably its best bet to replace some of those jobs.  Yes, Brora will change, but it's been changing for all the 25 years I have known it (it had a green keeping staff of one man and his tractor in those days!).  Much as we may not wish or want to admit, life does go on, even in the Highlands........

ChipRoyce

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2003, 12:35:35 PM »
Not only did I enjoy the course at Brora when I played it, rather enjoyed tipping a few at the Clynelish distillery at the north end of the course prior to my round ;) I especially enjoyed the 22 year old "Brora".

Sr Fortson

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2003, 01:51:30 PM »
When I was in Brora last month the owner of the B&B was telling me that the two big issues of the golf course right now is the banning of the sheep and cattle from grazing on the course and whether or not to buy a new mower for the fairways.  He also mentioned how depressed the town has been the last couple of years.  I do hope that the members decide to keep the uniqueness of the course and not bring it into the 21st century with helicopters coming in with people willing to pay 150 pounds a round.  My second round there was in absolutely miserable weather and the person in the shop charged me 10 pounds.  Guess it was because I was the only person willing to go out and he felt sorry for me.
Ron Fortson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back