News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Fisher

Re: Grand GOG MAGOG GC Old Course
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2024, 05:34:13 AM »
That's a very good question, Sean, and of course applies to so many English clubs. Wetter weather and climate change is part of, but only part of, the answer. The old New Course used to be lightning fast in summer, but was on basically about a millimetre of topsoil in many places. Those of us nurdlers who need a bit of run for any kind of length have been sadly disappointed all year!

My core contention remains - the Gogs Old is a super place for an enjoyable game of winter golf.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2024, 05:27:04 AM »
That's a very good question, Sean, and of course applies to so many English clubs. Wetter weather and climate change is part of, but only part of, the answer. The old New Course used to be lightning fast in summer, but was on basically about a millimetre of topsoil in many places. Those of us nurdlers who need a bit of run for any kind of length have been sadly disappointed all year!

My core contention remains - the Gogs Old is a super place for an enjoyable game of winter golf.

Gog is on chalk perfect for winter golf and I have played a few times at that time of the year and it is far better condition than most other golf courses

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 03:01:53 AM »

Richard

What are other reasons for the less keen fairways?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Richard Fisher

« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 07:52:46 AM »
Sean I am absolutely not an agronomy expert but I have always assumed that the increased grass coverage and (for many people) better year-round playing surfaces came at the expense, to some extent, of pace and run on the fairways. It's a trade-off, as always. But I would defer to others on this, absolutely.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back