News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stephen Britton

Re: What Remains to Restore?
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2024, 06:50:55 AM »
East Potomac Travis reversible course...
"The chief object of every golf architect or greenkeeper worth his salt is to imitate the beauties of nature so closely as to make his work indistinguishable from nature itself" Alister MacKenzie...

Mark_Fine

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2024, 07:30:33 AM »
Every single course listed so far deserves some study to determine how it has evolved over the years, but my guess is very few are worthy of true restoration. Many courses have improved with age despite what us purest think  ;)

I was asked this week during a trip to New Hampshire about restoring an old Ross course.  Ross was not known to have ever even been on site!  I would study it, but restore it???  Unlikely.  You don’t restore golf courses just because it would be a cool thing to do.  It’s done because the original design is deemed better than what is there now.  At least that is how I look at it.  Obviously determining what is better is a very subjective thing. Look at what is happening at Holston Hills?  Someone (in addition to the architect) has decided they can make the course better.  Maybe they are correct but who is to say they are right or wrong? 

I guess “restoring” Holston Hills will be another one added to this list once they are done with the current work  ;)

Ian Andrew

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2024, 07:32:29 AM »
I'm working at Sleepy Hollow.
I was recommended by one of my peers.
I'll be frank, it's 10 years of slow in house tree removal before anything else will happen.
It's what they need most. The canyon hole has been made a priority.
You can now see the dry waterfall, but there's lots to go still.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back