News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Burrows

Re: Golf Week Indiana courses
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »

Scott, please tell me more about the old Coffin either on the thread or by PM? I'm dying to know more about what it used to be!

Most of those rounds came when I was a teenager barely aware of anything, much less GCA - so take this with a few grains of salt, and I hope Tim Liddy will see this and correct me where applicable.  Here's what I remember:

-Back then, there were few if any retention areas.  I could not tell you how or how well it drained (I suspect badly), but when skies were clear, it was a much 'drier' course for the most part - your misses went into trees or unmaintained areas rather than water.  I do remember some either really rudimentary or really poorly-maintained french drains all over the place.

-Both the middle-of-the-fairway trees were there, but I only recall the one on #1 coming into play; I think what's now 6 could be played up the left.  The buttonhook fairway on what's now 11 was not as severe - that changed to make room to put 17 at the water's edge.

-And most/all the holes along the riverbanks were farther away from the water's edge.  Much like Riverside, you could totally forget that you were riverside.  Liddy uses the river as a MUCH more prominent element.  

-The back 9 holes on the hill were similar to their present forms and were then as now a very cool change of pace.  (EDIT:  No, I guess they were not the same - just looked at historic aerials and 1971 shows a much different picture!  Still the coolest part of the property, though.)

-There was virtually nothing interesting/memorable in or around most of the greens.  And the bunkers were typically 'cheap muni' shallow and bland.  The years had worn away whatever character Mr. Diddel had inititally put in all those decades ago.  What's there now is a huge improvement and not at all similar.

-It was a very challenging test - and a favorite of the wagering set.  I will admit to getting a sheltered suburban kid's thrill out of watching some very high stakes games conducted very much out in the open by men of very menacing countenance.

-They had THE BEST Blennd.  Cold, mixed perfectly.

Scott,

I grew up in Indianapolis as well and had the (unfortunate??) privilege of playing most of my early golf on the city courses that are being mentioned throughout this thread; my high school even called Sahm our home course for a couple of years.  Anyway, your recollection of Coffin is spot-on.  The blandness of the greens is what is most memorable for me, as well as the veritable lake that would form after a heavy rain on the old 7th hole.  That said, I also recall liking the old 3rd hole (which played from a tee near the current 2nd green to the current 4th green) on which a good drive was necessary in order that the next shot might clear the "canyon.". Of course, I also watched a lot of car windows, and even houses, get hit with balls when the hole played in that direction.

Also, good call on the "Blend." I haven't had one of those in years.
...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

Nigel Islam

« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2013, 10:33:06 AM »
Thanks Scott and Steve. I have often wondered how different the old Coffin, Brickyard, and Fort were from what they are now.

Scott Sander

« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2013, 10:44:54 AM »
Nigel-

One of my great disappointments (and I've said as much here before) is that my interest in golf's playing fields did not develop earlier in my life, so I never seized, as a young man, the opportunity to play the old courses at Fort Harrison, the Speedway, or Woodland before their revamps.

I have an odd internal conflict of being fascinated by both Bill Diddel and Pete Dye.  It gets harder to find places to enjoy the former because the latter keeps plowing 'em under and re-doing it all!

Nigel Islam

« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2013, 12:37:22 PM »
There is still a fair amount of Diddel down in the Southwest. Evansville Country Club and Rolling Hills are a couple with his influence that are solid courses. Plenty of less travel worthy stuff too. I seem to remember that Dye and Diddel had, shall I say, an intriguing relationship. Not what I would classify as a normal mentor type.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2013, 03:18:18 PM »
I'm not sure why anyone is even mentioning Thatcher or Doulas...I don't really like to be so critical but they are truly just typical munis. Tree line up and back fairways. Poorly conditioned and nothing really noteworthy.

Now Rock Hollow on the other hand is incredible. It is really under the radar.  Some really really good holes and a fun round of golf. I wish it were a bit closer to Indy and I would make it there far more often.

Josh:

I agree entirely about Thatcher.  I was being very sarcastic.  Thatcher is not good but neither is South Grove or Douglas or....

Bart

Nigel Islam

« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2013, 03:24:47 PM »
The worst course I ever played in Indy (non executive) was Dakota Landing on the east side. South Grove and Shank are not even on the same planet as being that bad.

John Nixon

« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2013, 11:50:00 AM »
Thanks.

I didn't realize that it cut across the fairway. I thought it was just up the right side. That certainly will have a big effect on how it plays.

OK, I played Coffin a couple of times over the last few weeks. I like the new configuration of #15 better. A good drive still leaves the possibility of reaching in 2, but if you're too far back you have to put some thought to the layup rather than just running a shot up the fairway. The hole requires a bit more thought, and makes it a little more challenging.

John Nixon

« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2024, 09:43:39 AM »
I had forgotten about the discussion in this thread about Coffin. I left my position working downtown Indianapolis a while ago, and since I'm rarely down there I haven't played Coffin in probably 8-10 years. I do know the tree in the fairway at #1 was lost a few  years ago to a storm. I will make an effort to play the course sometime this season.

I live on the north side, and do play Sahm quite often. Conditioning of the course is generally good these days, whoever's maintaining the course seems to know what they're doing even with it being a very busy course.

JLahrman

« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2024, 02:27:06 PM »
John I love how you brought this back up from the dead like it hasn't been 11 years! But I did play my first round of golf in Indiana in a looooooong time last November at Otter Creek. Not sure if that course (the original 18) belongs on the list of best publics in a sneaky good state for public golf like Indiana, but if it doesn't that's pretty high praise for the quality of golf in the state.

Brian Finn

« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2024, 02:41:10 PM »
1) French Lick Resort (Dye), French Lick (m)
2) French Lick Resort (Ross), French Lick (c)
3) Chariot Run, Laconia (m)
4) Harrison Hills, Attica (c)
5) Fort GC, Indianapolis (m)
6) Belterra GC, Florence (m)
7) Warren GC at Notre Dame, South Bend (m)
 8) Sultan’s Run, Jasper (m)*
9) Birck Boilermaker Golf Complex (Kampen), West Lafayette (m)
10) Brickyard Crossing, Speedway (m)
Interesting to see what has (and hasn't) changed in the last 10 years.

1. French Lick Resort (Pete Dye)
2. French Lick Resort (Donald Ross)
3. The PFAU Course at Indiana
4. Warren GC at Notre Dame
5. Birck Boilermaker Golf Complex (Kampen)
6. Birck Boilermaker Golf Complex (Ackerman-Allen)
7. The Fort
8. Brickyard Crossing
9. Chariot Run
10. Harrison Hills

New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

John Nixon

« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2024, 03:25:55 PM »
John I love how you brought this back up from the dead like it hasn't been 11 years! But I did play my first round of golf in Indiana in a looooooong time last November at Otter Creek. Not sure if that course (the original 18) belongs on the list of best publics in a sneaky good state for public golf like Indiana, but if it doesn't that's pretty high praise for the quality of golf in the state.

I've never played Otter Creek, but I've only lived in central Indiana since 1982, so I may get to it yet.

But I agree with your point, which was made several times earlier in the thread. If the likes of Otter Creek, Purgatory, Trophy Club, Bear Slide, Rock Hollow, etc., aren't making your top 10 list then you're in a pretty good state for public golf.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2024, 03:14:29 PM »
I always liked 6 for those reasons. Also agree on not liking death on both sides of the hole. I remember 17s green being a very exacting target. I liked the holes on top of the hill.

I'd be anxious to hear critiques of Riverside, Sahm, South Grove, Smock etc. as well. Not as good as Eagle Creek but at least a couple decent holes in the bunch. I always liked 15 and 13 at Riverside.
Have not played Riverside. I have, within the last few years, played South Grove, Smock and Sahm. they were OK golf courses. I probably liked Smock the best out of those. I only played South Grove because of persistent rumors of it's impending closing. It had a few decent holes, otherwise it was fairly boring.

Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

John Nixon

« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2024, 04:15:54 PM »

Have not played Riverside. I have, within the last few years, played South Grove, Smock and Sahm. they were OK golf courses. I probably liked Smock the best out of those. I only played South Grove because of persistent rumors of it's impending closing. It had a few decent holes, otherwise it was fairly boring.

At one time, as I remember it, there was talk of closing both South Grove and Riverside. They were situated very close to each other in downtown Indianapolis. Decision was made to close Riverside and so far keep South Grove open.  Riverside is now a nature park with the old cart paths serving as walking paths. I always thought Riverside was easily a better course than South Grove but they didn't ask me.

I played Smock once about 20 years ago. Did not find it interesting enough to ever play again. I play Sahm often. This morning, actually. It's got enough early Pete and Alice Dye to it that in my opinion it's better than any Indy muni not named Eagle Creek or Coffin. And probably in better shape than either of those. The green complexes especially at Sahm are a bit more challenging than you might expect.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2024, 04:43:25 PM »
Here are a few pics of South Grove, Sahm and Smock golf courses.

South Grove GC

Sahm GC

Smock GC
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

John Nixon

« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2024, 09:12:46 AM »
Well I never thought I'd see photos of Smock, South Grove and Sahm posted here. Thanks.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2024, 09:36:13 AM »
Well I never thought I'd see photos of Smock, South Grove and Sahm posted here. Thanks.

I'll play ANYWHERE, at least once. Hey now....

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2024, 05:47:06 AM »
Glad to see Harrison Hills is still on the list.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2024, 09:38:55 PM »
1) French Lick Resort (Dye), French Lick (m)
2) French Lick Resort (Ross), French Lick (c)
3) Chariot Run, Laconia (m)
4) Harrison Hills, Attica (c)
5) Fort GC, Indianapolis (m)
6) Belterra GC, Florence (m)
7) Warren GC at Notre Dame, South Bend (m)
 8) Sultan’s Run, Jasper (m)*
9) Birck Boilermaker Golf Complex (Kampen), West Lafayette (m)
10) Brickyard Crossing, Speedway (m)
Interesting to see what has (and hasn't) changed in the last 10 years.

1. French Lick Resort (Pete Dye)
2. French Lick Resort (Donald Ross)
3. The PFAU Course at Indiana
4. Warren GC at Notre Dame
5. Birck Boilermaker Golf Complex (Kampen)
6. Birck Boilermaker Golf Complex (Ackerman-Allen)
7. The Fort
8. Brickyard Crossing
9. Chariot Run
10. Harrison Hills

The Ross course in French Lick is easily the best course in French Lick. I even think the clubhouse is better than Pete Dye.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2024, 09:40:18 PM »

I've never played Otter Creek, but I've only lived in central Indiana since 1982, so I may get to it yet.

But I agree with your point, which was made several times earlier in the thread. If the likes of Otter Creek, Purgatory, Trophy Club, Bear Slide, Rock Hollow, etc., aren't making your top 10 list then you're in a pretty good state for public golf.

Chris Clouser wrote a pretty good book on public courses in Indiana several years ago.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back