News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

recommendations near Toledo?
« on: September 08, 2006, 04:56:37 PM »
if anyone could recommend a good public course within an hour of Toledo pls do so, thank you!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re:recommendations near Toledo?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 04:59:40 PM »
Drive 500 miles southeast to Cuscowilla.

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 05:03:26 PM »
Drive 500 miles southeast to Cuscowilla.

well, that's one suggestion Tiger...but if anyone has one within 50 miles that would be a bit more practical!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Billsteele

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 08:14:02 PM »
Paul-I've only played a couple of courses in the Toledo area but the best public I have seen is Maumee Bay in Oregon, Ohio. It is an Arthur Hills design but in my opinion one of his better efforts. A faux links layout with somewhat interesting bunkers and the wind off Lake Erie being a big factor. It is also a state park so the fees are reasonable.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 09:47:29 PM »
Or drive north into Michigan to Hartland and 'The Majestic'. Play all 27 holes on this beautiful course set on 1500(!) acres. Nature-filled!

Doug

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 10:14:06 AM »
 8)

Muni Madness:
Take your even numbered clubs out of the bag.. play Ottawa Park in the morning to warm up.. then use the full set at Detweiler Park in PM, and tell me which one you had more fun on..

Maumee State Park as mentioned.. they had a US Open qualifier there this year

Private but doable:
Inverness  
Sylvania CC
Toledo CC
Highland Meadows
Findlay CC

County Golf:
Redhawk, Findlay, OH
Colonial Hills in Ada, OH

Michigan Madness:  
Don't cross the state line
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Lou_Duran

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 10:43:02 AM »
Steve,

I lived in Findlay for a few summers and played an enjoyable muni on the west side of I-75 named Hillcrest GC.  That was long before Redhawk which I am not acquainted with.  Findlay CC is a nice course, but not worth the drive from Toledo.

Have you played a course south of Toledo called Riverby (or bee)?  I remeber it being a step up to what was available in the Findlay, Lima, Tiffin triangle.

Needless to say, if access is possible, Inverness is the place to go.  

Steve Lang

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 11:15:52 AM »
 8)
Hey Lou,

Probably right about Findlay CC, but maybe like old Fostoria CC, a taste of past in NW Ohio..

Yes to Riverby Hills!! down Maumee River SW side of Toledo.. though not many hills there other than few holes, plays long and mostly flat.. they did some work there early 90's on back 9 drainage, built pond..  used to play there alot when I lived in Bowling Green, but mostly non-distinct course
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

John Nixon

Re: recommendations near Toledo?
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2024, 07:57:17 AM »
Resurrecting an old thread as I'll be in Toledo for a few mid-week days in early September accompanying my wife to a meeting. I am planning on taking my clubs. A lot can change in 18 years - nobody on this thread from 2006 seemed particularly enthusiastic about any of the courses in the area but maybe there's new input? Maumee Bay State Park course looks like a good candidate judging by their website. I would prefer to not have to drive too far out of the Toledo area. Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 08:10:08 AM by John Nixon »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2024, 09:48:20 AM »
Hmm,   A decade ago, I played a few Hills or Brian Huntley courses in southern Michigan but I cannot find them listed or remember their exact names.  While good, Maumee Bay is probably still the best. 

I have played Toledo CC, a mostly old course with lots of grassed in sand bunkers 100 yards from the tee.  They seemed at the time to be fairly open to guest play, and if still the same, would be of interest to most here.  If you can't get on, at least drive by it on River Road/route 25, where you can see a few of those right by the road.

Sylvania CC has the added advantage of a Tony Packo's up the hill near the entrance......or better yet, skip golf and just eat at Packo's a few times a day!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ryan Book

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2024, 10:00:19 AM »
Resurrecting an old thread as I'll be in Toledo for a few mid-week days in early September accompanying my wife to a meeting. I am planning on taking my clubs. A lot can change in 18 years - nobody on this thread from 2006 seemed particularly enthusiastic about any of the courses in the area but maybe there's new input? Maumee Bay State Park course looks like a good candidate judging by their website. I would prefer to not have to drive too far out of the Toledo area. Thanks.

John,

Unfortunately Red Hawk Run, which was truly one of Arthur Hills' better designs, has since closed since this thread began. Maumee is nice if you're looking to shore up the park system's finances, but my GCA logic is that if you're going to play a town bedecked in Arthur Hills, you might as well choose the most oddball one so you have something to remember. Eagle's Landing has the most personality, for sure (albeit being by Brian Huntley, not Hills) while Hills' own Stone Ridge is perhaps the second-best public subdivision course in Ohio (as a Columbus resident, this is something that I'm sadly forced to know). 
"Cops are an abomination." - C.B. Macdonald and/or Jello Biafra

@BethpageBlackMetal

Joe Bausch

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2024, 06:38:07 PM »
A nice doubleheader would be the public Ottawa Park followed by the private Sylvania. I played them both late summer in 2016.

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/OttawaPark/index.html

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/Sylvania/index.html

JWB
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

DFarron

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2024, 06:49:46 PM »
If you can make arrangements.....

Sylvania, Belmont and Findlay CC are very solid

Maumee Bay is OK

Not much else is worth the effort

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2024, 07:22:46 PM »
Yes Red Hawk closed awhile ago.

I have never been a fan of Maumee Bay, almost never remember any of the holes after I finish and I am someone that usually remembers all of them.

I would play any of the following:

The Legacy (right over the Michigan line - also a Hills course). It has a better layout than Maumee Bay and more memorable holes IMO.

Chippewa (Curtice, OH) older 1920s course originally designed by Harold Weber (designed Highland Meadows in Sylvania, OH) is a solid course.

Eagles Landing in Oregon, OH is a good Brian Huntley course.

If you play Ottawa Park, play it early as it can be a long long round!

Riverby Hills in Bowling Green has a good back 9 on semi hilly terrain.

Colonial Hills (previously mentioned) is in ADA, Ohio and well over 1.5 hours away.

Green Hills in Clyde, Oh is a little out there but under the 1 hour drive and is an underrated mom and pop that also has a par 3 course.

Chris

Sean_A

Re: recommendations near Toledo? New
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2024, 08:00:22 PM »

Bite the bullet and drive to Ann Arbor to play the UM course.

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 30, 2024, 02:57:09 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Daryl David

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2024, 08:45:32 PM »
Just send a very respectful nice email to Inverness. It will be well worth any graveling necessary.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back