News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

How Hard is Lahinch?
« on: July 24, 2024, 01:01:20 PM »
While vacationing here in Ireland we are staying in the town of Lahinch. I was able to walk Lahinch today while the Irish Amateur was being played here . I have not played it but was wondering if anyone has, how difficult is it? Some  holes had narrow fairways not but wider than 20 yards. The fescue grass was in some spots up to 2 feet. The greens also had a lot of movement. There were a few blind shots and the wind was also up today . I played off a single digit and it looked a bit scary !

Kevin_Reilly

Re: How Hard is Lahinch?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2024, 01:15:30 PM »
Played a bunch of courses last month with my boys and we had an afternoon time at Lahinch with a nice breeze.  It was a very enjoyable round with no extra inherent difficulty.  The blind shots were fun. 

We also played Cashen, and Lahinch is polar opposite in terms of enjoyment.

PS, have dinner/drinks at Vaughn Lodge and thank me later!
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Rick Sides

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2024, 01:21:20 PM »
Kevin funny you said Vaughns, we passed it this morning . Lahinch looks like a lovely course . The dunes are so large and I love how it’s in the middle of town .

Ira Fishman

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2024, 03:47:37 PM »
Rick,

Lahinch is my favorite course in the world, and I do not say that lightly. We played it last month, and they had the rough up and thick in anticipation of the Arnold Palmer Cup earlier this month and the South of Ireland that you visited. But generally the fairways are reasonably wide. It is a difficult course especially for my mediocre game, but I thought Ballybunion meaningfully more difficult.

And yes, Lahinch is a lovely town.

Ira

Rick Sides

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2024, 04:21:10 PM »
Ira, Lahinch is a lovely town I could gladly live in my entire life ! What was your favorite before Lahinch ?

Ira Fishman

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2024, 04:45:19 PM »
Rick,

I played Lahinch for the first time in 2013 and that trip was what really spurred my interest in gca. I would say that probably Pine Needles, Cog Hill 4 (pre renovation), or Primland were my favorite. Since that first play we have been fortunate to play a number of great courses in the US and the UK&I. I was quite curious if on our play last month, Lahinch stayed as my favorite. It did. I am not saying that it is the best course I have played. It is that I love the routing through the dunes, the quirk, the green complexes, and the overall experience. Favorite is a fully subjective category, but so is Best.

And if you think that you could live in Lahinch forever, you need to visit North Berwick and Dornoch.

Ira

Rob Marshall

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2024, 05:04:14 PM »
I loved Lahinch, It was my favorite course in Ireland. I thought Ballybunion, RCD and Royal Portrush all played harder.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Mark_Fine

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2024, 05:12:23 PM »
Tell me what the weather is like and I will tell you how hard it is  ;)  Was just there again last month.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back