News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Jones

The Open and Rakes
« on: July 19, 2024, 05:59:04 PM »
I noticed at Royal Troon there were no rakes on the course and a person followed every group carrying a rake.

Is this new for The Open... as this was the first Open I attended in person and noticed.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

David_Tepper

Re: The Open and Rakes
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2024, 06:15:52 PM »
I have seen this several times at past Opens.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2024, 06:21:24 PM »
Yes, rather than littering the course with 99 rakes the R&A send out one raker in each group. Interesting enough the rakes were there for the practice rounds. They had a curve on the upper end of the handle presumably to keep them off the ground so they wouldn’t block a ball from rolling in!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2024, 07:12:31 PM »
Apparently the Postage Stamp has a dedicated raker since raking that hole is a full-time job.

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2024, 09:56:28 PM »
Every British Open I can remember has a raker with each group.
Be the ball

Michael Morandi

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2024, 10:20:33 PM »
Given the design of the bunkers, it would be unfair to have rakes in and around them. If left in them, the rake might catch a ball and  rest up against the back lip.  If outside the bunker, a ball might not make it into the bunker, undermining the intent. 

Michael Felton

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2024, 08:42:15 AM »
When I was a kid I used to carry a scoreboard round at the Open. Always a raker with each group. There were three people - me carrying a scoreboard, a scorer, and a raker. The rakers are typically greenkeepers from somewhere close by. I'm kind of surprised that the PGA Tour doesn't do similar. The people doing it are typically volunteers who get free entry and fed and watered. Not exactly expensive and it avoids having balls hitting rakes and going not where they would have.

James Bennett

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2024, 01:33:12 AM »
Paul

I 'raked' two days in the 2005 Australian Open, following a group.  Also did the sand-filled divots for the group.
The volunteers were organised by the GCSAA, generally greenkeepers with the occasional 'other ' (I was a Course Chair).

It worked well.  I recall being p'd off at the pro that walked straight up the face of a bunker (quickest way out).

Pity it was at Moonah Links that year.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

MKrohn

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2024, 10:52:14 PM »

It worked well.  I recall being p'd off at the pro that walked straight up the face of a bunker (quickest way out).

James, care to name and shame assuming the statute of limitations has passed. I can only rule J Day out as he has hardly set foot in the country for decades

James Bennett

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2024, 03:00:53 AM »
Jason Day played (an amateur), as did Bubba Watson (I remember he drove a long par 4 when it was downwind) and Camillo Villegas.
Geoff Ogilvy and Adam Scott played, Allenby won.

The person I think it was must have missed the cut, so I can't confirm he was there.  I'll stay quiet.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Paul Jones

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2024, 05:31:25 PM »
My two favorite majors are The Masters and The Open. I was surprised to see how many people were walking in each group, especially in the practice rounds (counted 16 people in 1 group) and also had quite a few extras in the tournament days. 

That is compared to The Masters that only has 1 extra person, security walking along the ropes out of sight.  Tiger is the only group at The Masters has additional security, but they all walk along the ropes.  It is nice to look down the fairway on Saturday/Sunday and only see 2 players with 2 caddies.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Niall C

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2024, 06:19:39 PM »
Paul

I agree with all you say there. I always thought it ridiculous that Tiger got additional body guards (that's basically what they are supposed to be). Apart from the official scorer, who do you actually need ?

Niall

Paul Jones

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2024, 07:33:34 PM »
Paul

I agree with all you say there. I always thought it ridiculous that Tiger got additional body guards (that's basically what they are supposed to be). Apart from the official scorer, who do you actually need ?

Niall

The Masters does not even have official scorers inside the ropes.  The scores are on each hole outside the ropes. 
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back