News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Sweet

Is this boring?
« on: July 19, 2024, 09:14:36 AM »
A difficult course. A tight leader board. Some wind and rain.  Why can't NBC build a compelling narrative for this Open?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tom_Doak

Re: Is this boring?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2024, 09:15:36 AM »
A difficult course. A tight leader board. Some wind and rain.  Why can't NBC build a compelling narrative for this Open?

They had the same problem last year.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2024, 09:51:40 AM »
Craig, are you criticizing major tournament coverage in general or NBC this week in particular?
Just curious because I only watch the four majors and the Ryder Cup these days.
The competition is compelling enough for me. No need for a "narrative."

Mike Bodo

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2024, 11:03:57 AM »
I'm loving this Open Championship, much more than last year. It's great seeing guys shoot low one day and blow-up the next and vice versa. Troon has definitely impressed me more than I can recall previously. I love the course and it presents itself well on TV. FWIW, I only watch the featured groups on the Open Championships app Thursday and Friday and prefer their commentators to NBC's. The British humor is something US commentators could take a page learn from. The banter is often hilarious!
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2024, 11:32:25 AM »
Craig how are you measuring NBC's performance?

So far this tourney has been very compelling to watch, certainly more so than the PGA.  And the 7-12 stretch is just terrific...

Rob Marshall

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2024, 11:34:23 AM »
I thought it was great this morning when they explained the reason why a player would have his hat on backwards……
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Bernie Bell

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2024, 11:40:58 AM »
Sound off, listen to Sirius/XM 92.  Brilliant.

David Cronan

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2024, 01:08:14 PM »
I seldom watch professional golf anymore but I definitely pencil in The Open each year as “Must See TV”.

That said, the talking heads of golf have some of the most annoying cliches found in sports.

“He’s a great driver of the golf ball.” No shit. Thanks for clarifying you weren’t speaking of his skills at negotiating a tractor trailer on ice.

“He just has to clean up this 4 footer for par.” Never understood. A mess of the hole?

“This putt breaks from left to right.” Again, thanks. I was thinking left to left.

“He has 171 to cover that bunker.” A relatively new one but overused within the 1st month of its use.

“There’s no quit in ( fill in the blank)”…after player is +13 at the 17th tee, on Friday and he sticks his approach to 8’, all while thinking ‘I wish this group in front of us would pick up anchor so I can sleep in my own bed tonight’.

“ He got to cute with that one, Jimmy.” No. He was too aggressive.

“You have no idea how good that was.” Actually, those of us that play more than once a year do know.

“Sometimes a bogey putt that goes in is better than a par or birdie.” Mathematics dictate otherwise.

Rant finished!

Any others?

Phil Young

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2024, 01:21:09 PM »
David, what drives me crazy is the stupidity of the phrase, "He hit a great golf shot!" Gee, I thought it was either a slapshot or a foul shot..." What game do they think the viewer believes is being played?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2024, 01:26:28 PM »
When I want to complain, I think doing commentary without a rewind button is challenging. I know they are professional, but they must be on every minute.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Michael Morandi

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2024, 01:30:00 PM »
I think it was Gary McCord who said that after years of calling golf it got hard to make an 8 foot putt exciting.

David Cronan

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2024, 01:48:50 PM »
When I want to complain, I think doing commentary without a rewind button is challenging. I know they are professional, but they must be on every minute.

I’m sure it’s very challenging, but most don’t buy into the philosophy that a short period of dead air is not a dereliction of duty.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2024, 02:08:57 PM »
The golf course is compelling with the wind today. The golf has been scattered. The commentary is annoying. Are they trying to force interest? If they would shut up, the course and golf being played will speak for itself.

Maybe NBC is waiting for a story to emerge tomorrow or late on Sunday's round? 
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Greg Hohman

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2024, 03:31:20 PM »
I seldom watch professional golf anymore but I definitely pencil in The Open each year as “Must See TV”.

That said, the talking heads of golf have some of the most annoying cliches found in sports.

“He’s a great driver of the golf ball.” No shit. Thanks for clarifying you weren’t speaking of his skills at negotiating a tractor trailer on ice.

“He just has to clean up this 4 footer for par.” Never understood. A mess of the hole?

“This putt breaks from left to right.” Again, thanks. I was thinking left to left.

“He has 171 to cover that bunker.” A relatively new one but overused within the 1st month of its use.

“There’s no quit in ( fill in the blank)”…after player is +13 at the 17th tee, on Friday and he sticks his approach to 8’, all while thinking ‘I wish this group in front of us would pick up anchor so I can sleep in my own bed tonight’.

“ He got to cute with that one, Jimmy.” No. He was too aggressive.

“You have no idea how good that was.” Actually, those of us that play more than once a year do know.

“Sometimes a bogey putt that goes in is better than a par or birdie.” Mathematics dictate otherwise.

Rant finished!

Any others?

A British tic: "If I'm honest, [ followed by a remark ]." It has variations too, which I won't list.

newmonumentsgc.com

Joe Hancock

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2024, 04:27:45 PM »
There’s no money in doing less…..people who are paid to speak are going to speak. It’s human nature to justify one’s value.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

David Cronan

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2024, 06:18:53 PM »
There’s no money in doing less…..people who are paid to speak are going to speak. It’s human nature to justify one’s value.

Makes sense. I’ve never tipped a mime.

mike_beene

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2024, 08:22:39 PM »
I think golf commentary is geared towards the non-golfer. I prefer this to the Masters, where the commentators seem to think they matter. “Hello friends.” I don’t know that guy from Adam.

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2024, 01:57:51 AM »
I know people gave him stick, but Peter Aliss was miles better than anything on tv these days.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Matthew Rose

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2024, 03:23:39 AM »
"the golf course is in great shape".

I should hope so; they are hosting a tournament.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2024, 03:39:03 AM »
I know people gave him stick, but Peter Aliss was miles better than anything on tv these days.

Ciao
True Sean, you knew you were watching The Open when you heard his voice on TV in the US during July.  Some may have seen the Olympics is using Al Michaels voice digitally using AI to broadcast some parts, he agreed and will be interesting.  If there was a way to do so with Peter Aliss then by all means I'd welcome him and Renton Laidlaw.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2024, 07:00:55 AM »
    “That shot took great courage.” Please, let’s leave courage for first responders and heroes.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2024, 08:13:50 AM »

Ciao
Very true.

John Blain

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2024, 09:45:36 AM »
David, what drives me crazy is the stupidity of the phrase, "He hit a great golf shot!" Gee, I thought it was either a slapshot or a foul shot..." What game do they think the viewer believes is being played?
Why do announcers always refer to the ball as the "golf ball?"  "That's the golf ball of Tiger Woods." Really? No kidding, huh?  ;D

Tim Martin

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2024, 10:21:36 AM »
I haven’t been bored and love the golf course and ever changing weather conditions which have delivered a compelling tournament. I agree that Peter Alliss is missed as well as Ivor Robson on the 1st tee.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2024, 10:27:20 AM by Tim Martin »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2024, 01:44:38 PM »
Apparently “fescue” is no longer a species of grass, but a height of cut…or uncut, as it were.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back