News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Book

Troon's most celebrated contribution to American GCA...
« on: July 18, 2024, 09:39:28 AM »
...is, unless someone knows better than I, Alex "Nipper" Campbell of Moraine fame. As a biased Ohioan and reasonable conspiracy monger, I'll note he should factually be noted for the current greens at Miami Valley Country Club (a Ross original) and, more boldly, I'll suggest that he likely played a significant role in TCC Brookline's acclaimed design as well. Although there is more solid evidence for the latter claim than a simple hole comparison, I can't help but think of Brookline's No. 4 "Hospital" when considering the back-to-back blind tee shots of "Sand Hills" and "The Railway."

It's my understanding those tee shots came about during Willie Fernie's pass during the 1880s, but I'll stand humbly corrected if there is evidence they came post-Campbell's emigration to Boston.

At any rate, if anyone cares to draw comparisons between Troon and Campbell's tiny oeuvre, here's a good place to do it.
"Cops are an abomination." - C.B. Macdonald and/or Jello Biafra

@BethpageBlackMetal

Brian Finn

Re: Troon's most celebrated contribution to American GCA... New
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2024, 10:20:02 AM »
Some additional info on Nipper in this earlier thread. 

Alex 'Nipper' Campbell (golfclubatlas.com)

I think Moraine has pretty strong links influence. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2024, 10:22:20 AM by Brian Finn »
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back