News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Real tennis vrs tennis. ‘Real’ golf vrs golf
« on: July 12, 2024, 04:31:54 PM »
Real tennis vrs tennis. ‘Real’ golf vrs golf
Odd and quirky vrs standardised.
Thoughts?
Atb

David_Tepper

Re: Real tennis vrs tennis. ‘Real’ golf vrs golf
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2024, 04:38:43 PM »
By "real" tennis, do you mean "court" tennis?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_tennis

After two weeks of Wimbledon coming down to the finals weekend, I think a better discussion might be comparing grass court tennis to links golf. Both were the original/first forms of the games, but both are now a very small segment of how & where the games are played daily around the world.   
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 04:59:22 PM by David_Tepper »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2024, 05:33:12 PM »

Amazingly, the new clubhouse for Sedge Valley features a court tennis facility.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2024, 05:40:01 PM »

I think you meant to type ‘Sedge’, didn’t you?  ;D
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2024, 06:07:47 PM »
‘Real’ in the tennis context doesn’t mean real as in not fake, it means ‘royal’ as in Real Madrid. Or, a golf example, Real Club de Puerta de Hierro.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2024, 06:36:09 PM »
There are - apparently - only 45 Real / Court Tennis courts in existence anywhere in the world. So Sedge (Valley) will make it 46…. Always a game I fancied…

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2024, 07:29:53 PM »
Real/court tennis and (so-called) "real" golf are both quaint anachronisms in the modern world (and by modern I mean post World War II). :)

https://uscourttennis.org/introduction-to-court-tennis/

6 1/2 minutes of the best real tennis you will ever watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1RK9fuGZgI

Pierre Etchebaster (1893-1980) won the real/court tennis world championship 26 years in a row, 1928 to 1954. In the 1960's & 70's he was one of the tennis & squash pros at Piping Rock on Long Island. I met him there once. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Etchebaster
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 08:01:44 PM by David_Tepper »

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2024, 11:47:36 PM »
Archie,

Thanks for that Video of well played court tennis. Squash on steroids.

I have played it at the Philadelphia Racquet club But had no idea what I was doing. Actually an elegant game. I'm probably nationally ranked having played it just once.

Court tennis started in France where children were educated in Catholic monastic cloisters and the kids devised a game within the cloister like handball where you could play the ball on top of the surrounds as well as within the center of the cloister.

The old museum of Impressionistic Art in Paris "Jeu de Paume" was a court tennis court originally. It was all moved to a new Museum at Gare de Orsay later. "Jeu de paume" translates to handball or game of the palm
« Last Edit: July 13, 2024, 12:06:58 AM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Craig Sweet

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2024, 11:54:57 PM »
Sounds colonial to me...in the "sun never sets on Britannia" sort of way.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Bruce Katona

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2024, 08:33:31 AM »
Racketball played with a larger racket & a sagging net.

I learned something this morning.......never heard of or saw this game played before watching the video.

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2024, 11:15:25 AM »
Real/court tennis did (and still does) have one thing in common with golf of 125 years ago. Just like "featheries" were hand-made/hand sewn, the balls for real/court tennis were (and still are) hand-made/hand-sewn. Since so few people play the game, there is no commercial firm willing to be bothered making the balls.

"Despite trials by Dunlop to introduce machine-made balls in the 1970s,[4] almost all balls are entirely hand made by club professionals. The inner core of a ball can last several years, but the cover must be replaced every two to three weeks, depending on usage."

The wood racquets are still made (I think) by the venerable firm Gray's of Cambridge, which also makes wooden implements for cricket and field hockey. I played with their squash racquets decades ago. 

Steven Wade

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2024, 02:07:55 PM »
My club is a very racquet sports heavy club featuring grass tennis court and we have even wholeheartedly embraced padel, adding courts last year. If we were to install a real/court tennis court I’d be forced to dive headlong into participating. I’m not sure what the real tennis to golf comp is… maybe hickory rounds?

Rob Marshall

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2024, 03:24:32 PM »

What is “court” tennis? Synthetic surface like the us open?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2024, 06:24:46 PM »
"What is “court” tennis?"

Rob M. -

Court tennis and real tennis are the same sport played on the same court.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_tennis

DT
« Last Edit: July 13, 2024, 06:44:05 PM by David_Tepper »

Jason Connor

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2024, 10:05:51 AM »

What is “court” tennis? Synthetic surface like the us open?

Court tennis = Real tennis = the enclosed space.

In fact a tennis court -- the way we usually think of it -- is a bastardization of the word "court".

The etymology of "Court" is an enclosed yard. Which is more accurate to Real, or Court, Tennis.

Compare that with the first tennis, lawn tennis, was just that: tennis in fields, which is the opposite of a 'court'.   

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

David_Tepper

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2024, 11:52:13 AM »
And then there is the sport of rackets/racquets (aka hard rackets), possibly more obscure than court/real tennis:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rackets_(sport)

Not to be confused with squash, court/real tennis or racquetball. :)

World Championships video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c3CF7bDtoM

There are 36 courts in Britain and the U.S.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 12:20:45 PM by David_Tepper »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2024, 01:32:07 PM »
Actually stayed in a hotel that had real tennis. Back in 1975 somewhere along the final holes of Royal Troon. Hit balls for about half an hour.  Real home course advantage. I heard it had been turned into a retirement home.
Also discovered Famous Grouse.
It was on Crosbie Rd near the 17th green. NLE
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 01:37:41 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Darragh Garrahy

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2024, 01:49:10 PM »
Recently when in Newport, RI, I was invited down to watch a game of court tennis. I hadn't a clue of the rules but I loved the enthusiasm of the gentleman playing who was explaining it all to us as he played. He said once you go court, you never go back. Perhaps it's like links vs parkland golf.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2024, 02:04:39 PM »
The wonderful small village of Falkland and it's palace have a place inthe discussion  Falkland Palace is home to the world’s oldest tennis court. Dating from the 16th century, the residence was built between 1501 and 1541 after being commissioned by King James IV –  the historic royal tennis court was part of the development.
Almost five centuries later, the court – completed in 1539 and enjoyed by James IV, his son James V and their royal guests – is still in use today. The game played there is known as royal tennis or “real tennis” and although the rules are similar to the modern game, it isn’t the sort of tennis you would expect to see at Wimbledon.

"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2024, 02:26:22 PM »

Falkland is a very quaint wee village in the middle of Fife. Somewhat unfortunately, it’s now largely overrun by massive numbers of Outlander fans as it was used as a stand-in location for Inverness in the first Series.
F.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2024, 03:41:35 AM »

Falkland is a very quaint wee village in the middle of Fife. Somewhat unfortunately, it’s now largely overrun by massive numbers of Outlander fans as it was used as a stand-in location for Inverness in the first Series.
F.

On an Architectural note, probably also worth mentioning that Falkland has one of the maddest 9-holes around. Wiggling around the Football pitch on an incredibly tight site, it’s a masterpiece of routing!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/L91uapHQcwuZeaZT6?g_st=com.google.maps.preview.copy

Now, if only someone could prove that Mary, Queen of Scots played there, it would be mobbed with those Outlander tourists…

ward peyronnin

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2024, 11:39:18 AM »
Marty
I have played it and it is a treat. One plays around the sewage settlememnt tanks, across a soccer pitch, and a Cape Hole bends around a guys back yard. I think the greens were rolling at 4 when I played with James and John the 10 and 11 year old sons of the B&B keeper. We stuffed the honor box with a quid fifty for each oif us. Design attributes- probably a Braid?
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back