News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: The Heather of HANKLEY COMMON GC
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2024, 11:29:55 AM »
Haven’t seen the new hole, Quinn.

Just liked the picture of the old hole. There was something about the berm and deciduous trees that added to its look.

Fully understand why it was changed from a maintenance perspective.

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2024, 03:47:37 AM »
5 obviously planted deciduous trees have no standing in the commons of Hankley.

It was a mound of burried rubbage on the right side - burried once again with planted oaks, etc. It’s a pretty picture; cant say anyone ( groundscrew especially ) misses the trees.

The look is very different today! Was the hole in the photo original to Colt? It still looks odd to my eye.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth & Old Barnwell

Quinn Thompson

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2024, 07:28:59 PM »
I want to say there’s a nice watercolor painting of the 11th hole on one of the walls in the dining room in the clubhouse: the mound is there ( painted ), but the trees are not ( ? ). And there’s a smaller bunker painted in at the front of the mound ( ? )…trying to remember what this painting depicted ! And not sure when the painting was done - my guess would be the 80’s.

I think the old version of the 11th never tied in with the rest of the “Colt Corner”, or the rest of the course in general - not sure if added tees and length over the years added to that - for a long par 3, it appeared to my eye to be a small and perhaps cluttered green site.

I think the changes made there at the 11th have now opened up the scene a bit, along with opening up the options for how to play the hole - obviously the goal is to hit the green in one, but the right side now provides an interesting miss, with creative recoveries - whereas before your ball may have just been buried in the mound of thicker grasses ( because of the trees above, the heather and finer grasses never materialized on the mound ).

The Keeper at Hankley ( Jon White ) is top notch, and should have the 11th and its surrounds playing form and bouncy in no time. All of the rebuilt bunkers will need time as well - one of those places that will undoubtedly get better as it matures and weathers and ages. There’s no denying that the Hankley Common is an absolutely beautiful setting for a game o’ g’alf - I’ll stand on any 19th hole bar and say that with conviction.

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2024, 04:23:32 PM »
I want to say there’s a nice watercolor painting of the 11th hole on one of the walls in the dining room in the clubhouse: the mound is there ( painted ), but the trees are not ( ? ). And there’s a smaller bunker painted in at the front of the mound ( ? )…trying to remember what this painting depicted ! And not sure when the painting was done - my guess would be the 80’s.

I think the old version of the 11th never tied in with the rest of the “Colt Corner”, or the rest of the course in general - not sure if added tees and length over the years added to that - for a long par 3, it appeared to my eye to be a small and perhaps cluttered green site.

I think the changes made there at the 11th have now opened up the scene a bit, along with opening up the options for how to play the hole - obviously the goal is to hit the green in one, but the right side now provides an interesting miss, with creative recoveries - whereas before your ball may have just been buried in the mound of thicker grasses ( because of the trees above, the heather and finer grasses never materialized on the mound ).

The Keeper at Hankley ( Jon White ) is top notch, and should have the 11th and its surrounds playing form and bouncy in no time. All of the rebuilt bunkers will need time as well - one of those places that will undoubtedly get better as it matures and weathers and ages. There’s no denying that the Hankley Common is an absolutely beautiful setting for a game o’ g’alf - I’ll stand on any 19th hole bar and say that with conviction.

Quinn

What was the original length of the 11th? Sorry to keep asking questions, but it seems to me that a berm built around the rear of the green is quite unusual for Colt. Do you know who the builders were?

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 12, 2024, 01:25:01 AM by Sean_A »

Quinn Thompson

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2024, 02:43:57 AM »
Not sure of the original length of the 11th - feels like the original tees are the big deck, 160 yards or so. Newer ( ? ) and longer tees go back way into the left and the pines…they’re very secluded, and simple; maybe like the 5th.

The berms / piles / mounds around the greens at Hankley are unusual, but noticeable - particularly around the 13th green. My guess is that they’re just clear piles from the green sites, full of dead heather and scrub - almost like raking leaves off of a Midwestern lawn and piling them up on the side so that kids can play football.

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2024, 05:11:36 AM »
Not sure of the original length of the 11th - feels like the original tees are the big deck, 160 yards or so. Newer ( ? ) and longer tees go back way into the left and the pines…they’re very secluded, and simple; maybe like the 5th.

The berms / piles / mounds around the greens at Hankley are unusual, but noticeable - particularly around the 13th green. My guess is that they’re just clear piles from the green sites, full of dead heather and scrub - almost like raking leaves off of a Midwestern lawn and piling them up on the side so that kids can play football.

Thanks Quinn

It feels like the hole should be shorter. I would really like to see a pic of the Colt original.

Ciao

Jeff Schley

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2024, 12:21:44 PM »
Hankley Commons goes under the radar for many, pretty penal course with all the heather certainly. I know a member friend who prefers it over one of his other courses Walton Heath.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Quinn Thompson

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2024, 02:15:47 AM »
I think thats the beautiful strategy of Hankley, Jeff - the heather is so abundant ( and pretty ), and in play, that the main task is: can I just find my way to the green ? Mind you, the bridal paths that zig zag across countless holes; great hazards in themselves.

If the greens were “tricked up” or “over the top”, I think it would all be too much to ask for the Sunday player: get yourself to the  green, and you may have a putt.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2024, 05:13:56 PM »
I think thats the beautiful strategy of Hankley, Jeff - the heather is so abundant ( and pretty ), and in play, that the main task is: can I just find my way to the green ? Mind you, the bridal paths that zig zag across countless holes; great hazards in themselves.

If the greens were “tricked up” or “over the top”, I think it would all be too much to ask for the Sunday player: get yourself to the  green, and you may have a putt.
That's not strategy.  But it is why Hankley is NOT a great course.  It doesn't ask any question other than : can you play the shot dictated by the course.  No decisions to be made, no thought required.  Just hit it straight between the heather.  The most disappointing heathland course in the London area that I have played.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Scott Warren

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2024, 02:42:14 AM »
Just looking wistfully at aerials of English golf courses to pass the time, as I often do, and was surprised to realise that Hankley Common GC is closer to Gatwick than it is to Heathrow.

I would have assumed, if I'd ever thought about it, that it was much closer to Heathrow. I suppose because almost all the other great golf in Surrey and Berks is. (Walton Heath and Addington the obvious exceptions)

Sean_A

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2024, 03:32:51 AM »
Just looking wistfully at aerials of English golf courses to pass the time, as I often do, and was surprised to realise that Hankley Common GC is closer to Gatwick than it is to Heathrow.

I would have assumed, if I'd ever thought about it, that it was much closer to Heathrow. I suppose because almost all the other great golf in Surrey and Berks is. (Walton Heath and Addington the obvious exceptions)

Heathrow may be further away, but I bet it’s quicker to get to than Gatwick.

Ciao

Simon Barrington

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2024, 09:23:59 AM »
...Mind you, the bridal paths that zig zag across countless holes; great hazards in themselves.
I think its Bridle (not Bridal) Path you may mean, unless there are swathes of young white taffeta clad newly-weds crossing the playing lines...which would be quite a notable hazard!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2024, 10:31:52 AM by Simon Barrington »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2024, 09:43:32 AM »
rofl. If I were an artist like Quinn I'd draw a bridal path  :)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Quinn Thompson

Re: The Heather of HANKLEY COMMON GC New
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2024, 10:44:39 AM »
Ever seen a pretty lady strut a horse through a golf course before ?

That’s “Bridal”.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2024, 11:49:18 AM by Quinn Thompson »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back